KLX250S or KLX300R

OK, so I am running out of places to ride my KLX300R without a 1 hour trailer ride. I have plenty power line trails I can get to within a 15min ride on street legal roads. I live in NC and hear it is near impossible to get a converted bike titled for the street so should I trade in for the KLX250S or will I be disappointed in its dirt prowess? I am far from an expert rider so the performance expectation are fairly low!:thumbsup:

I'm in SC and yes, I've also heard that you can forget getting a plate on a bike with an title that reads "offroad." I called the SC DMV as I almost bought a KLX400 from a guy in NC who installed all the dual sport equipment. The DMV told me that I could not get a plate in SC if the NC plate said "offroad." The owner in NC apparently could not get the bike plated in NC for the same reason.

I just bought a new '07 KLX250S yesterday and I am absolutely loving this bike. The power is VERY mild and you have to expect that from a 250cc street legal bike that is very restricted from the manufacturer. As I understand, a new pipe, re-jet and some minor airbox mods and you can really experience significant performance gains. More than likely, I'll keep my totally stock as I'm satisfied and cheap.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. That's exactly what I was trying to find out. I'll be calling the dealer down the street about a 250 he's got with only 600 mile on it. I think he wants $4k for it.

Are the power line trails legal? If so, is there a reason you can't trailer your bike the 15 minutes to those places? Just curious.

Regarding the 250, I'd bet it would do the job just fine and could probably be easily modified in the power and suspension areas when the mood strikes you. $4K sounds a bit steep for a used one, though. Even here in CA a brand new one can be had for close to that price. 600 miles isn't many at all, but those first one's can be among the most critical.

Most if not all of the power line trails around here are not legal. There are some that seem real popular but I'm sure nit acrually legal. Parking a truck and trailer are definitely out of the question. I agree, the first 500 are the most important!

the 25o with a fcr carb and a 331 kit is a great combo.Thats what I have. In NJ there are very few legal riding places-but I find allot of trails to shoot down, but I would not leave a trailer for some one to ticket.

GoJeep - check your personal messages. I just sent you one.

bsambuco

the 25o with a fcr carb and a 331 kit is a great combo.Thats what I have. In NJ there are very few legal riding places-but I find allot of trails to shoot down, but I would not leave a trailer for some one to ticket.

We're coming to that here in CA as well. Probably not as bad as NJ, but they're trying to shut down everything. They will ticket, impound and yes, even throw you in jail!!! :ride:

So....DS bikes are the only solution. Drive relatively close and park in a walmart or grocery store parking lot. Unload you bike out of the truck and ride - LEGAL - on the street to the trails. Then, in one trail and out another, and back to the truck. Soon it will be the only way.....:thumbsup: