Sign in to follow this  

valve clearance question

Valve clearance on the DR-Z400 is: IN .0039 -.0079 / EX .0079 -.00119

With wear, do the #'s go up or down or both? :thumbsup: The reason I ask is that I'm at .006 left intake. and .004 right intake and .008 on both EX valves. Does this mean I have hardly any wear or that I am just about thru? Or something else intirely. I got it open what should I do next?:ride:

My searched only showed me how to fix it if I'm outside the clearances.

+

the clearances normally decrease with wear.

is this your 1st valve clearance check? if so, there's not much you can learn from your measurements, except that most are @ the low end of the spec..

i can say that your measurements seem normal - IIRC, mine were very similar on my first valve check on a stock bike.

since they are in fact in tol., leave them as they are & just check them in the near future. if you see them decreasing, you have a problem.

it's very likely that's how they were set @ the factory.

Your clearances are great. As time goes by the clearances will get smaller. So you are near the bottom of the tolerance but that is ideal for now. Just check regularly.

Mine is the dirt model so the odometer only goes to 999, but I'd say somewhere between 7000 - 10,000 miles. This is my first valve check:bonk: . When you say "near future"???:thumbsup:

Mine is the dirt model so the odometer only goes to 999, but I'd say somewhere between 7000 - 10,000 miles. This is my first valve check:bonk: . When you say "near future"???:thumbsup:

next oil change. maybe a few hundrerd miles. it's really up to you.

you just want to verify they are not moving(tolerances decreasing).

if they do tighten up, you will most likely experience hard cold starting or not starting at all.

Just so you know, it is possible for the clearances to increase. Both my intakes have opened up over a bit the last half year. Still in spec.