Sign in to follow this  

Ready to do the 10:25/1...

Gentlemen your input would be great. :ride:

Current situation - XR650L Supermoto w/ 18,000 miles, some oil use (not too abnormal), airbox modded, jetted good, uni-filter, pro-circut pipe (slip-on),

Hot compression at 100lbs and 145lbs, starts right up, runs good.

Planning:

Wiseco or JE 10:25 piston and rings - no over bore unless it needs it.

New cam chain and tensioners - while i'm in there.

3 angle valve job w/ seals - guides if needed.

Oil cooler.

Question:

Forged or cast piston?

Which should come next - carb swap or cam?

Anyone got a similar setup prowling the streets? :thumbsup::bonk:

One last question. If it needs bored, who to do? I'm in LA area.

Thanks guys in advance.

jdilpkle & MoeTardo

10.25 : 1 Forged wiseco

Hotcam Stage 1

Full Al baker exhaust

Uni filter

Custom Air box

Stock carb with usual mods

Thats my setup in a nutshell...IM VERY HAPPY WITH IT!!!

It runs cool, has great power across the rpm range and it starts better than it ever did.

Gentlemen your input would be great. :bonk:

Current situation - XR650L Supermoto w/ 18,000 miles, some oil use (not too abnormal), airbox modded, jetted good, uni-filter, pro-circut pipe (slip-on),

Hot compression at 100lbs and 145lbs, starts right up, runs good.

Planning:

Wiseco or JE 10:25 piston and rings - no over bore unless it needs it.

New cam chain and tensioners - while i'm in there.

3 angle valve job w/ seals - guides if needed.

Oil cooler.

Question:

Forged or cast piston?

Forged is prefered.

Which should come next - carb swap or cam?

Since its a SM and you probably do all street, leave the CV on. The big advantage of a flatslide pumper is offroad throttle response. For lifting the front quickly when needed. Go with the cam.

Anyone got a similar setup prowling the streets? :thumbsup::lol:

One last question. If it needs bored, who to do? I'm in LA area.

XR's only.

Thanks guys in advance.

jdilpkle & MoeTardo

:ride:

might be a dumb question but what is the diference between a cast and a forged piston?in practicable terms...

Not all that much anymore. In general OEM's use cast. Cast pistons are a little cheaper in large volumes. Essentially all the aftermarket is forged. Cast pistons are not as strong, but they have an edge in expansion. The lower expansion allows for longer service life as the clearance can be a little less.

At least that's my take on it.

10.25 : 1 Forged wiseco

Hotcam Stage 1

Full Al baker exhaust

Uni filter

Custom Air box

Stock carb with usual mods

Thats my setup in a nutshell...IM VERY HAPPY WITH IT!!!

It runs cool, has great power across the rpm range and it starts better than it ever did.

X2 Great advice from XR Tank. I use basically what is described above, but use the White Bros E2 muffler. Really like the upgrade results and no over heating issues.

forged piston and make sure the cylinder to piston clearance is checked by someone with a good calibrated set of micrometer and bore gauge. Thats your biggest concern in getting proper life out of it, and ring gap too but its not #1 in my book

The rings will seal better longer if the gaps are set correctly. If they are too large, then they will just get bigger as they wear. Too small and they can butt against each other at high temps and cause real problems.

might be a dumb question but what is the diference between a cast and a forged piston?in practicable terms...

Forgings are a lot tougher than castings. Instead of cracking or shattering, they usually deform instead. They also expand more than high silicon and hypereutectic castings, so they need more bore clearance. Aside from being less expensive than forgings, the ability to use tighter bore clearances with cast pistons also reduces oil consumption for slightly lower emissions. Those are the two main reasons why OEMs use cast pistons(Ford used forged slugs in the 5.0 HO from '84 to '92.5). There is no real issue with service life; the rings and air filter have more effect on bore wear. Those 5.0s had low tension rings and there are many reports of cylinder cross hatching even after 100,000+ miles. Same with the 2.3 turbo engines, of all things.

Forged then :thumbsup: My 600R is smokin while is cold..looks like a 2smoker..wich is strange as it didnt do this before last overhauling....im still gonna keep an eye on oil level just to be sure...valve seals have 2000 kms...

I have a 2000 L with 671cc /10.25:1, Stage 1 Hot Cams, port cleanup, XRs only exhaust, rejet, airbox, desmog. There is no longer a compression release on the cam so it can be a bear to start, but only when cold.

Other than that i love it, i bought a new 08 but i like my 00 way more.

I will be doing all the same engine mods to my 08.

Heat is not a problem but switch to synthetic and change it often.