Headlight Change

Hello All,

I've recently picked up an Acerbis Cyclops headlight to replace the fugly stock DR headlight, and I have some questions about the install of this puppy.

I'll preface this by saying I have NO experience with automotive electrical systems, and very little experience in general working on motorcycles, so be gentle!

My questions pertain mainly to wiring the headlight, as the mounting seems obvious enough. Keep in mind I have not pulled the stock light off yet so I don't know what the wiring looks like.

1. Any idea if I can just wire this headlight directly to the current headlight wiring and it will work?

2. I've done some reading about relays. The Cyclops has about the same wattage as the stock, so I am assuming I will not need a relay? Is this assumption correct? I don't want to fry my wiring harness, based on some of the information I've read.

3. If I do need to use a relay, are there any good instructions online showing, in detail, the install process?

4. Any good DR wrenchers out there in cyberland who live in the Fort Worth, Texas area and would be willing to come over to the house this weekend to walk me through the install for $50 and free beer & lunch? I'll do all the work if you show me what to do!:thumbsup:

I think that's it for now, though I'm sure I will have more questions once I actually start the process. Thanks much

the electrical system on the DR is pretty straightforward so I wouldnt have any trouble explaining the procedure either in this thread or PM.

If the wattage on the new headlight is the same as the stock headlight then you are correct, there is no need for a relay.

Gee here in Maine for $50 ,free beer and lunch, I would have 20 guys standing around watching me. Any takers in Fort Worth Texas area? I wish I was there to help you.

Here's a good cyclops install from the drz400 forum:eek:

It may be similar for the dr650, but at least you'll get the general idea.

Here are the search results I did on the SUZUKI Forums for Acerbis Cyclops install:

If this doesn't help you, try a couple in searches yourself using different wording combinations:prof:

I hope this helps:thumbsup:

HappyRiding!!

:thumbsup::ride:

As long as its the same wattage you will be fine as far as wire gauge requirements go.

I am not sure what kind of bulb the Cyclops light has, but if it is H4 or compatible the stock harness will plug right in. Otherwise you might have to fab something up or get an adapter harness if you can find one.

ride across the metromess to garland & we can have it done no problem

All - thanks much for the replies, very much appreciated.

Yes, if I'm reading the info correctly, the Cyclops is the same wattage as the stock. From the info I've found, the stock bulb is 55/60w, meaning low beam is 55 and high is 60, correct? The Cyclops has a 55w halogen for low and a 55w halogen + 5w incandescent for high = totaling 60w for the high beam. All sound about right?

If I am understanding all this correctly, if I just wanted the light to work as normal, that is just the high beams come on for high rather than both the high and low beams, then I wouldn't need a relay. However, if I wanted to wire the light to where both lights came on for high, I would need a relay, correct?

To keep things as easy as possible this first time around, I would be sticking with the normal setup.

tlinza - thanks much for the offer. Geez...Garland though huh? Being I'm in Haslet that would be a joy ride in itself. However, I may take you up on the offer. Let me see what I can do with internet help, and then I'll let you know from there. Thanks much though, nice of you to offer.

beemerwolf - thanks much for the link to the DRZ install. Although as I read further into the thread, there did seem to be some concern with the safety factor of that install, as he is wiring both lights to come on for high beam, and not using a relay. The thread did give me some good info though. Thanks much.

adams - Thank you for your offer. I would say whenever you had some time, write up as much info as you would like and post here or pm it to me. Since I know nothing about this process, and my wrenching skills are very limited as is, any information is valuable at this point. Thanks much.

adams - Thank you for your offer. I would say whenever you had some time, write up as much info as you would like and post here or pm it to me. Since I know nothing about this process, and my wrenching skills are very limited as is, any information is valuable at this point. Thanks much.

Not much to write, I can explain any questions you have along the way though. So let me see if I understand...Low Beam when switch is on LO, and HI & LO when switch is on HI?

To do this you DO NOT need a relay. What I would do is this. Wire the LO beam so its HOT at all times with the ignition ON. This is easy because in the wire bundle behind the headlight shroud there is a power feed that is hot when ignition is on. The only thing I would do is splice in an automotive type inline fuse. I believe the DR uses a 10A headlight fuse so use a 10A inline fuse. And you are done! Very simple elegant solution