2008 CRF450X damper issues

Is the stock Honda steering damper a piece of crap??? I am all the way full and can't feel anything either riding or on the stand. Could my dampener be defective or is it just window dressing? :thumbsup:

Take it off and see if any difference.

Or.

When bike is on a stand, slap the bars as if a rock took out your front wheel.

See if it slows the bar motion.

Pro Circuit is offering a re-valve service for that damper. I don't work for them or anything like that. Just saw it in their catalog the other day.

Is the stock Honda steering damper a piece of crap??? I am all the way full and can't feel anything either riding or on the stand. Could my dampener be defective or is it just window dressing? :thumbsup:

I think the stock Honda dampener was meant to help with steering/handling and is not intended to do the same job as say the Scotts or GRP Stabilizers. So that may be the reason you can't feel it. Disconnect one end and see if there is a difference in feel when you move it back and forth.

I prefer my dampers on the firm side, and I saw a fix on this site somewhere, and it worked great. It involved thicker fluid, and higher fluid levels, and took just a few minutes.

I just picked up my 08 on sunday and the first thing i noticed was the dampner. it was working enough for me to notice it was there and working.

I prefer my dampers on the firm side, and I saw a fix on this site somewhere, and it worked great. It involved thicker fluid, and higher fluid levels, and took just a few minutes.

Any idea where i could find that info? This bike has less than 100 miles on it and i am shocked it already has an issue but if changing fluid and level work then that's what i will do.

I'll look around. It's not so much that the stock damper has an issue, more so that some people prefer them to offer more resistance.

Take it off and see if any difference.

Or.

When bike is on a stand, slap the bars as if a rock took out your front wheel.

See if it slows the bar motion.

don't slap the bars..

slap the wheel

Did you kick the tire when it was on a stand?

The stock damper on the 450X is not designed to act like a Scotts or GPR unit. It is only there to keep the bike from becoming unstable. Honda reengineered the frame in 08 and made the head angle much steeper. It worked, in that the bike turns like a dream, but the damper is only set up to manage the new frame geometry. If you are looking for something like the Scotts or GPR in the way of performance, then you still need to add it to the bike.

The stock damper on the 450X is not designed to act like a Scotts or GPR unit. It is only there to keep the bike from becoming unstable. Honda reengineered the frame in 08 and made the head angle much steeper. It worked, in that the bike turns like a dream, but the damper is only set up to manage the new frame geometry. If you are looking for something like the Scotts or GPR in the way of performance, then you still need to add it to the bike.

Well from what I hear, The stock damper on the 450X is not designed to act like a Scotts or GPR unit. It is only there to keep the bike from becoming unstable. Honda reengineered the frame in 08 and made the head angle much steeper. It worked, in that the bike turns like a dream, but the damper is only set up to manage the new frame geometry. If you are looking for something like the Scotts or GPR in the way of performance, then you still need to add it to the bike.

^^^ that's funny.

Well from what I hear, The stock damper on the 450X is not designed to act like a Scotts or GPR unit. It is only there to keep the bike from becoming unstable. Honda reengineered the frame in 08 and made the head angle much steeper. It worked, in that the bike turns like a dream, but the damper is only set up to manage the new frame geometry. If you are looking for something like the Scotts or GPR in the way of performance, then you still need to add it to the bike.

:ride: I just burped up some beer. :thumbsup: