Straighten fork?

I recently had a good crash and broke my shoulder and arm but more importantly my 97 xr400 fork twisted. From what I see so far (can't bend over at this point) there does not appear to be any cracks or breaks in the crowns, shocks or tubes and the handle bars are still in line with the fender but the wheel is about 6-8 inches out of straight when compared to the fender. One fork cover is twisted badly giving me the impression that maybe just one fork tube twisted in the crowns on impact?

If this is the case should I just loosen the crown bolts on the one side and try and twist the wheel to straighten things out? Is there a ft/lb torque spec for the crown bolts?

Any other suggestions?

Probably a couple weeks away from being able to turn a wrench but I want to get back on asap.

Thanks

Go ahead and loosen the triple clamp bolts for both sides. Holding the wheel between your kness and grab the handlebar, twist bar from side to side and try to feel where the forks want to center themselves. Then as an added step, I usually grab/hold the front brake and compress the front suspension as far as I can for several times, then retighten the clamp bolts. Don't only go by how the wheel looks to the fender, as, after a crash, the fender mounting itself could be off. See that it's not been tweaked.

Trailryder42 is speaking from experience,the whole front could be tweaked,have another one set on the bike when youve got it pretty straight,and see what they think to,and help you get it straight.

Thanks for the help.

Is there a spec for the crown bolts or do you just do them fairly tight?

Should the wheel axle bolts also be loose or can they be tight?

There's a spec around here someplace on the forum, as there's not one in the shop manual. Generally tho, you don't want to tighten the lower pinch bolts as much as the uppers because the lower only clamp the hollow fork tube. The upper end of the tubes have the fork cap in them so you can snug those a little more.

Just saw a post that said 20ft.lbs for the lower and 24 ft.lbs for the top.

Thanks for the help.

Is there a spec for the crown bolts or do you just do them fairly tight?

Should the wheel axle bolts also be loose or can they be tight?

For the axle bolts, do you mean for when you're trying to straighten the forks? You should keep them tight.