Using shifter with MX boots

I just got my first pair of MX boots and have have some problem with shifting my DRZ 400. These boots are bulkier and make it hard to get my foot under the shifter pedal ..attempted to raise the shifter, but then it hits. Also, when I am shifting, i can't really feel my foot pushing down on it. Are MX bikes set up different? Is this something I will have to get used to and hope the boots loosens up enough?

I just got my first pair of MX boots and have have some problem with shifting my DRZ 400. These boots are bulkier and make it hard to get my foot under the shifter pedal ..attempted to raise the shifter, but then it hits. Also, when I am shifting, i can't really feel my foot pushing down on it. Are MX bikes set up different? Is this something I will have to get used to and hope the boots loosens up enough?

everyone has this problem to an extent, i thibk. my drz was my first bike. when i got my boots i couldnt shift at all. so i raised the stock lever, and it helped but i still missed shifts, and messed up a lot. i then got a +1" extended lever, i think MSR makes it. thta helped a lot. i still have troulbe shifting with boots, but at least i can shift well enough to ride now. what size boot? the stock lever is too short for anyone over a 8 or 9

Todays boots are a lot different then the ones I used back in the 70s. You could feel the shifter, so I used the boot to shift. With todays boots with all the plastic and the stiffer ankle support, I end up using the welt of the sole to shift with. Not sure if this is good or bad but it does work for me. It will just take some time to get used to it and the boots take a bit longer to soften up. But the best way to get them how you want them is to just ride.

I think alot of people have that problem. IF the boots gave a good feel for the shifter, they would compromise protection.

A few things will happen. First you will get used to riding with the boots on, and you will realize how much safer and more aggresive you can ride with them on. You will get used to not feeling the shifter and just being a little more methodical with the shift.

After you get the boots worn in from riding, and being wet, and all that stuff, they will give you a better feel. Not just for the shifter but the brake, and the pegs, etc. It does take some time for them to get broken in, but they probably some protection factor as they are broken in. ( They simply get less stiff around the ankles).

If I can learn to ride in MX boots, anybody can. For me adjusting the shifter up oneclick helped, but mostly you'll just need to break those boots in and get used to them. Trust me, I almost rode home in socks after the first time I wore them out, and now they are my favorite piece of gear.

Do some searches on TT, I know there are a few threads about this problem.

Put the boots one, go ride. You'll be surprised how fast you get used to it.

Buddy and I started in the morning with new boots for each of us. By noon, we quit complaining and were quite comfortable in them. His - Tech3, mine - Tech10. Both of us are new riders.

I wear a size 14 and I had this problem when I got my boots. I vowed to never ride with them again after my first ride with them on. I was missing shirts and hitting nuetral and missing the rear brake. But I just kept forcing myself to ride with them and I will never ride without them. Just keep riding with them and you will get used to it and it will be secong nature to you.

I'm a new guy, yesterday was my 2nd time on the bike and first time with boots.

I was quite surprised at the relative ease I had, compared to my friend. My only issue was shifting from first to second. I have to move my whole foot up, not just pivot it. For the rest of the shifts I can pivot at the ankle and be good to go.

I'm wearing Tech 8's and he has some sort of Fox's. I actually walked around in my boots for a day and that seemed to really help as far as breaking them in.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if im jackin' the thread but should I go with the 1" plus shifter with size 11 boots?

You don't have to, it would just be personal preference. I ride the stock lever with size 12's no problem (now) and I've seen plenty of others with 11 to 13 sized boots ride the stock lever just fine too.

do a few hours with lots of shifting and braking, you'll get used to them and they'll feel natural.

Don't know about DR gear lever. I raised mine (XR).

You cant feel the gear lever and brake pedal through the boots at first, but you will, it's just a much lighter feel than you're used to.

do a few hours with lots of shifting and braking, you'll get used to them and they'll feel natural.

Don't know about DR gear lever. I raised mine (XR).

You cant feel the gear lever and brake pedal through the boots at first, but you will, it's just a much lighter feel than you're used to.

True, putting the shifter up one notch on the spline might be all you need to do. I did it too when I changed to MX boots.