Sunday ride McCubbins or Post Canyon

Hey Guys

Any one interested in a ride on Sunday?

Im thinking McCubbins if the snow conditions are good, if not, then Post Canyon.

I am on a dual sport Husky, so if anyone is interested in some exploring after we get the bikes good and dirty I wouldent mind doing some back country roads.

Dave

Dave

If you go to Post Canyon, please do not park at the bottom of Post Canyon! The M/C Parking Area is up the road 2 miles at Post Flats. The better parking area is at Binns Hill. It has nice new gravel thanks to OSP ATV funds! Better yet, just come over to Pine Mont on Sunday!

Thanks.

Dave,

Which area are you planning to hit? Are you going rain or shine? Its hard to tell what Sunday is going to do at this point, they were talking about thundershowers this morning. If Saturday and Sunday are a bust I might go out on Monday.

Let me know which area you're thinking about.

Looking like McCubbins.

One guy going is a bit on the beginner side, and McCubbins should be easy enough for him.

I will be picking one guy up in Oregon City around 7am.

If anyone wants to meet up we can meet up in Sandy around 7;45 ish or at Mccubbins around 9

Feel free to give me a call if you want to go

Dave

503-706-4487

Is the riding good in Post Canyon? I'm always confused about where the mountain bikers are allowed and where the motorized riders are allowed. There is a sign that says motorized bikes must stay on roads and not trails. With all the mountain bikes up there I don't know what is Kosher and what is not. I wouldn't mind going with someone one day but my BRP is down waiting on a part and I'm stuck with my '78 DT 400 (legal) and my xt 250 (not legal but borrow plates for it during mud season). Just wondering cuz I usually ride on the Washington side (where everything is legal).

Is the riding good in Post Canyon? I'm always confused about where the mountain bikers are allowed and where the motorized riders are allowed. There is a sign that says motorized bikes must stay on roads and not trails. With all the mountain bikes up there I don't know what is Kosher and what is not. I wouldn't mind going with someone one day but my BRP is down waiting on a part and I'm stuck with my '78 DT 400 (legal) and my xt 250 (not legal but borrow plates for it during mud season). Just wondering cuz I usually ride on the Washington side (where everything is legal).

Thanks for asking! If you go up 2 miles from the end of the pavement on Post Canyon Rd and park at Post Flats, the motorized trails go from there to Binns Hill and Kinglsey. MOST of the Mt bike trails have signage. Do not ride the lower Post Canyon Mt bike trails!

Some of the Moto Trails have signage. If it looks like a Mt Bike trail, do not ride it! We plan to have all the trails in that area marked by the fall.

It is better to just park at Binns Hill and ride the upper motorized trails!

Thanks Cascade. I don't believe the beginning of the motorized area is marked. The last time I was up was sometime last year. I even checked with the Yamaha dealer in town and the parts kid didn't know anything about Post Canyon. I just don't know the area that well, when I rode it last time I rode some spurs above where the bulk of the Mt Bikers ride and ended up coming out just above the heights in Hood River. Who is marking the trails, Mt bikers or motorized folks? I'm sure its not the county.

So bottom line. If I ride and go to the left through the green gate, anything above 2 miles from the pavement end is motorized? Is that correct?

Thanks--Steve

Thanks Cascade. I don't believe the beginning of the motorized area is marked. The last time I was up was sometime last year. I even checked with the Yamaha dealer in town and the parts kid didn't know anything about Post Canyon. I just don't know the area that well, when I rode it last time I rode some spurs above where the bulk of the Mt Bikers ride and ended up coming out just above the heights in Hood River. Who is marking the trails, Mt bikers or motorized folks? I'm sure its not the county.

So bottom line. If I ride and go to the left through the green gate, anything above 2 miles from the pavement end is motorized? Is that correct?

Thanks--Steve

Steve

Most of the motorized trails are not marked yet. We have a work party this Saturday to install more signage. The Mt bikers have some of their signs at the Mt bike Trail Heads. Hood River County Forestry Dept has a Trail Committee that is working on the complete trail network in the county.

I am not sure which green gate that you mean, but MOST of the upper trails are motorized unless they are marked for Mt bikes.

Rick,

On the day the garbage clean up happened, the dumpster was pretty much where the pavement quit if I recall correctly, wasn't it?

I drove my truck up a pretty decent hill and after it levelled out, eventually came to a kind of open area with a bigger gravel/rock wide area for parking. There was a truck parked there the day of the clean up. Is this where you're saying to park at? ?

I plan on riding the TeePee run next weekend, and getting over to your neck of the woods after that. My riding kinda got curtailed for a few weeks while doctors were figuring out what was going on with my knee. Something called a "Baker's Cyst" showed up on the back of my knee, outta the blue, not long after I met you. Took 'em awhile to figure out what it was, what to do about it (nothing), and what I could do as far as exercise & riding...... :ride:

Jimmie

Rick,

On the day the garbage clean up happened, the dumpster was pretty much where the pavement quit if I recall correctly, wasn't it?

I drove my truck up a pretty decent hill and after it levelled out, eventually came to a kind of open area with a bigger gravel/rock wide area for parking. There was a truck parked there the day of the clean up. Is this where you're saying to park at? ?

I plan on riding the TeePee run next weekend, and getting over to your neck of the woods after that. My riding kinda got curtailed for a few weeks while doctors were figuring out what was going on with my knee. Something called a "Baker's Cyst" showed up on the back of my knee, outta the blue, not long after I met you. Took 'em awhile to figure out what it was, what to do about it (nothing), and what I could do as far as exercise & riding...... :ride:

Jimmie

Sorry to hear about your knee! Yes, the dumpster was at the end of the pavement. Yes, the big gravel lot 2 miles up Post Canyon Rd is the Post Flats Parking Area. We plan to have a sign there soon.