2008 sm450r - am I asking for trouble?

ok - first an apology if I've posted in the wrong place.

I've spent 3 or 4 hours reading here about ibeat (and even needing to buy your own copy), power up kit and the headaches tuning the bike after it is installed, spending a day on a dyno, open and closed loop (?), battery squashing, lambda and o2 sensor removal pros and cons, melting the airbox, bikes running lean and rich, dealers not getting support from the manufacturer, and customers not getting support from the dealer.

Alot of this stuff is over my head.

Even that some bikes are discovered to be restricted and produce little horsepower.

I was about to buy a sm450R today at $7800 OTD, but now I'm scared shi^%&(less.

We only have one husky dealer on hawaii and less than 50 bikes sold over the years. I suspect they are not on top of things.

The bike looks beyond awesome: the brakes!, fit and finish, controls, everything: but is it going to be reliable and run, or will I be going to the dealer (hour drive) all the time?

If I leave it alone (no power up) will I be OK?

I just want to ride, keep it clean, and maintained. I don't want downtime, and have to do the things I read in the forums about the need to calibrate the EFI (Ibeat?)

Please help, and thanks in advance!

Last question - the what is the gold on the bolts and will it come off when you wrench on it?

Dude, I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it. I don't think you will regret it. I don't have the power up kit yet, but im going to get it at the first service. I did have the dealer remap the EFI for the power up kit already to richen it up a little, (they all come pretty lean stock for emissions reasons) . I made a couple other mods and it rips. Its basically a street legal race bike. It hauls ass, brakes excellent, (1 finger front brake is all I need most of the time) rails the turns like its glued to the street. The bike is awesome. It looks good, turns heads and gets alot of comments. I could go on and on.

I have a 510 with a race kit and love it. I'm sure the FI could be tuned a bit better, it runs really strong without it though. I do plan on having my local dealer tune it in the near future, but I am more than happy as is. Besides Dynojet has a power commander on the way for it if I feel like getting it a little more dialed.

Dude, I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it. I don't think you will regret it. I don't have the power up kit yet, but im going to get it at the first service. I did have the dealer remap the EFI for the power up kit already to richen it up a little, (they all come pretty lean stock for emissions reasons) . I made a couple other mods and it rips. Its basically a street legal race bike. It hauls ass, brakes excellent, (1 finger front brake is all I need most of the time) rails the turns like its glued to the street. The bike is awesome. It looks good, turns heads and gets alot of comments. I could go on and on.

you're right! I've got about 230miles on mine, powerup kit, iridium plug, ferodo brake pads, baja designs LED taillight, BRP chain block. Removed horn, blinkers, turn signals, mirrors, smog stuff. It rips, and unlike a crotch rocket, you can actually row through the gears, WFO, and not find yourself doing 140 mph.

I've got a few more things on order - anyway thanks for your advice!