Sign in to follow this  

Where all do I grease?

I just got my bike back, and I am awaiting a part, so I am detailing it, and want to grease all that needs to be greased. My front wheel DEFINATELY needs it, and my back kinda does. What all should I grease, and how/where do I grease.

What kind of grease should I use?

I know this sounds stupid :thumbsup:

Lubing. My front wheel bearing squeaks a bit and does not spin well. I was doing some research and it said to pop off the seal (if it is metal) and pack the bearing with grease. They said another method is to drill a 1/16th hole into the seal and fill that hole with grease. :thumbsup: I am NOT drilling any holes until I double check with you guys. I think that my steering stem bearings dont need greased, but my wheels (esp. the front) do.

Can I just use WD - 40??

its prolly bad bearings. put the front wheel up and spin it and listen for squeaks and grinding. and also check for side to side movment. if so get some new bearings pressed in. for lubing stuff i use silicone spray or WD-40.

it might be bad bearings. put the front wheel up and spin it and listen for squeaks. and also check for side to side movment. if so get some new bearings pressed in. for lubing stuff i use silicone spray or WD-40.

Yeah, they squeak a little bit. Do you think riding with a bent rim coulda done it? I just think that they are fine, cause when i bought the bike they were fine, and it has just been sitting, waiting to be rebuilt for like 5 months. I just thin they are dry.

How do you grease them??

Yeah, they squeak a little bit. Do you think riding with a bent rim coulda done it? I just think that they are fine, cause when i bought the bike they were fine, and it has just been sitting, waiting to be rebuilt for like 5 months. I just thin they are dry.

How do you grease them??

ive never had to grease my bearings. but put the bike on the stand and put the wheel in the air and move side to side and check for movement. a lot of movement is bad.

Yikes.... Buy a manual and follow what it says. At least follow the one that came with the bike. Otherwise get a clymers or something. There's pictures too so I know that always helps me. Don't use wd40 . Get some belray waterproof grease for your wheels, steering, swingarm, shock link. There is really too much to list when it comes to maintenance. I use references and I write down what I did and when so I don't forget. I always forgot before hence the log I have now. The manual has helped me alot. Good luck. I hope this helps.

agree with the above statements but make sure the grease is moly, not lithium. don't grease dirt bike bearings with WD-40 :thumbsup:. and if you haven't greased any of your bearings for over a year, grease all of them, including your steering bearings. and definitely make sure to grease the shock bearings, they get a ton of abuse.

belray has a small tub of moly axle/bearing grease I like to use on all my bearings.

Lubing. My front wheel bearing squeaks a bit and does not spin well. I was doing some research and it said to pop off the seal (if it is metal) and pack the bearing with grease. They said another method is to drill a 1/16th hole into the seal and fill that hole with grease. :thumbsup: I am NOT drilling any holes until I double check with you guys. I think that my steering stem bearings dont need greased, but my wheels (esp. the front) do.

Can I just use WD - 40??

Sounds more like a brake dragging not the bearings, the best way to check bearings is take them apart and feel them for roughness, spread the caliper away from the rotor and spin the wheel if still hard to spin pull wheel and replace bearings, they are sealed and can't really be lubed. moose has a whole kit w/ seals about $20.00, the only real grease points are steering head and swing arm bearings

I pulled my front wheel off the forks, and looked around. They looked WELL greased!!! I grabbed our grease just to touch it up a bit, and it went bad. So i put it back together, and they spun better, and the squeking went away :thumbsup:

I do have a manual and it didnt say how to grease anything for the record.

I know i sound like such a novice, its just i have never really done it before :ride:

I pulled my front wheel off the forks, and looked around. They looked WELL greased!!! I grabbed our grease just to touch it up a bit, and it went bad. So i put it back together, and they spun better, and the squeking went away :thumbsup:

I know i sound like such a novice, its just i have never really done it before :ride:

i have a question? did you take put the bike on the stand and check for wobble?

No you don't, you just want to be informed... thats a good thing...Your becoming one w/ the machine:thumbsup:

A good thing to know,is to clean out most all of the old grease first. Then add the new stuff.

Lubing. My front wheel bearing squeaks a bit and does not spin well. I was doing some research and it said to pop off the seal (if it is metal) and pack the bearing with grease. They said another method is to drill a 1/16th hole into the seal and fill that hole with grease. :ride: I am NOT drilling any holes until I double check with you guys. I think that my steering stem bearings dont need greased, but my wheels (esp. the front) do.

Can I just use WD - 40??

....Wow, :thumbsup:

First of all, do you know how small a sixteenth is, very small, not big enough to get enough grease as you need in there. If your talking about a grease fitting, it wouldnt work, because it would hit on your dust caps, most likley. But...Transworld just did an article a few issues back about greasing wheel bearings. Look it up.

You need to just go over your bike and re grease everything. Steering head, wheel bearings, linkage, and anything else you can think of that can be lubed. EVEN IF YOU THINK IT DOESNT NEED IT, DO IT. The guy you bought it off of might have said he greased everything, but really might not have.

also, you ever get it broke in?

Lubing. My front wheel bearing squeaks a bit and does not spin well. I was doing some research and it said to pop off the seal (if it is metal) and pack the bearing with grease. They said another method is to drill a 1/16th hole into the seal and fill that hole with grease. :ride: I am NOT drilling any holes until I double check with you guys. I think that my steering stem bearings dont need greased, but my wheels (esp. the front) do.

Its called a zerk fitting and people do put them for ease of lubing bearings just to let you know.:thumbsup:

Can I just use WD - 40??

....Wow, :thumbsup:

First of all, do you know how small a sixteenth is, very small, not big enough to get enough grease as you need in there. Transworld just did an article a few issues back about greasing wheel bearings. Look it up,

You need to just go over your bike and re grease everything. Steering head, wheel bearings, linkage, and anything else you can think of that can be lubed. EVEN IF YOU THINK IT DOESNT NEED IT, DO IT. The guy you bought it off of might have said he greased everything, but really might not have.

also, you ever get it broke in?

Nope, I am awaiting the last part - Needle Jet.

i have a question? did you take put the bike on the stand and check for wobble?

Yeah, it had some, but we adjusted the spokes a bit and got it almost perfect

jeez, i got bad gas for saying WD-40 at least they could have manned up and just said no to that. plus i didnt say for bearing use WD-40 i said when i have to lube stuff thats what i use.

• Like 1