Gosh Freaking Idiot

well i have been trying to shim my valves. my dad finally got the time to help me (he is a 35 year professional mechanic) and he promised me if i help paint our 2700 sq ft house and pick up all the piles of trash he would do it for me. and i told him sure put i wanna watch. so he was doing and everything went really well he told me to put it back together so i was like really i dont really wanna mess anything up why can't u just do it. so of course being a teenager and having know patience i was putting back together and torking every thing down right.. trying to take my time. then the last part to go was the valve cover. i read real quick and it said 43 ft lbs i was like dang thats alot. but i read real quick and was tightening it down and snap. strip all the threads in just one of the 3 bolts. makes me so mad because he knows i am not patient like him. so now i gotta save up some more money and just take it to a machine shop and have them fix it real quick.. gosh i hate when this happens u guys might know what i mean

yep me2, i stripped my fuel float allen screw. i have no idea how to get it out, dont feel like taking it anywhere.

Thats a shame. I stripped my buddy's oil drain plug on his TTR, but he took the heat for it (what a good friend) and had it re threaded

man i just hate doing that. because i have never worked on something this nice before.. its a expensive arse dirt bike and i dont want just any working on it.. so i let my dad cuz there is nothing he can fix (i am serious) and he shows me, but when he tells me to do something like this i say no u know how to do it. why have me. u guys know what i am saying

if it sounded like too much, which it was by a long shot, you should have slowed down and re-read your manual

If the valve cover bolts onto the cam cap/retainers you will need to remove the retainer that is stripped. And then very carefully install a heli coil. Which is drilling it out, tapping it with the heli coil tap and then install the heli coil metal insert. Now you can install the oem bolt again.

43 ft/lbs seems like a lot for a valve cover. are you sure it wasnt in/lbs?

man i just hate doing that. because i have never worked on something this nice before.. its a expensive arse dirt bike and i dont want just any working on it.. so i let my dad cuz there is nothing he can fix (i am serious) and he shows me, but when he tells me to do something like this i say no u know how to do it. why have me. u guys know what i am saying

I don't think your dad should be taking any heat for this. He's a mechanic, gave you something to do that HE thought you could handle...period!

Your father was trying to teach you a Life Lesson. I think you learned it. Double-check things and take your time and if something seems wrong, STOP and check it again.

Time to spend some more time watching the old man. My dad used to make me come to the shop and help him do stuff sometimes, I sure thank him for it now. Watch and learn, then you won't be making any more posts like this.

valve cover is supposed to be snug, relax and read the manual next time instead of skimming thru it.

I say no better way to learn but the hard way:foul:

"ur bike, you work on it!!" thats what my old man says and i thank him for it! now i dont even trust him working on my bike.

Life is all about learning from your mistakes. I am sure your dad did not get to be where he is without making some bonehead mistakes like that.....we all have.

Now, you need to learn how to heli-coil, it's not that hard, just follow the directions and take your time. You will save a butt load of cash and be proud of a job well done.

Drill it straight, and use tons of lube when tapping the hole. The Heli-coil is actually stronger than the original threads. As a matter of fact, many times in the aerospace industry, Helicoils are installed right from the start, due to their strength.

i like your guys post.. i know what you guys mean but how many of you are so patient as a teenager to re-read everything. you just wanna get it done fast as you can move your hands.

If the valve cover bolts onto the cam cap/retainers you will need to remove the retainer that is stripped. And then very carefully install a heli coil. Which is drilling it out, tapping it with the heli coil tap and then install the heli coil metal insert. Now you can install the oem bolt again.

+1 :thumbsup::ride:

+1 :thumbsup::ride:

ya thats probably what i am going to do. my dad has all the tools for that. so its probably the easiest way too go you think.

just to make sure i gotta take the cam holder off.:bonk:

you just wanna get it done fast as you can move your hands.

...which can certainly be accomplished.

But only once you're well practiced. :thumbsup:

My dad is the same way, hell say to do something and i have no idea what hes talking about so i try and i break something. I've stripped out a ton of bolts and luckily my uncle is a machinist who can literally fix anything i can break. I'm slowly converting all my bolts to helicoils, if you catch my drift. :thumbsup:

so did he just stand there and watch you F it up?

he didnt stop you? or was he not around?