'08 450 with 47 hours = locked up :(

No, and if it is as you describe, it may well be that it's always been there. But you need to be sure, because if it's a dent from this failure, the plating may peel off from that point.

Even so, reusing the piston is risky, Each of those dents will be surrounded by an array of microscopic fractures radiating outward from it. These might not be serious enough to cause trouble, but...

It is also imprudent to use the crank assembly without having it thoroughly inspected. The impact(s) of the valve with the piston/head that occurred out to the right side could easily have bent the rod so that wrist pin is out of parallel with the crank. The big end bearing or crank pin may have had impressions of the rollers "stamped" into it, and the crankshaft itself may have been knocked out of alignment.

Your parts will be 35% below retail at the TT OEM Parts Store.

I hadn't intended on reusing the piston, just wanted to make sure that it was clear that there didn't seem to be any other damage.

I am already looking at a huge bill here, so hearing that a new crank may be required as well is not good news. Any quick tips on how to get that all apart to properly inspect it?

I think I'm going to be sick...

I wonder if the stem from the broken valve is bent?

I wouldn't go any futher. Sounds like you have to take it to the dealer and let them help you get a good story.Hope you know the dealer,if you don't be nice to them.I find I get more help that way(I usually don't get much help).If your bike is an early model,try and see if there was any late changes made to the motor.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I don't know when the manufacture date was. I suppose I could figure it out if I needed to.

I already called one of the closer dealers and they were not helpful at all. They did give me the 800 number for Yamaha Motor Co., but I haven't called yet. I am going to call a shop back home (Lynnwood Motoplex) and see what they say. I know the guys pretty well there and they would at least shoot me straight.

I don't know when the manufacture date was. I suppose I could figure it out if I needed to.

I already called one of the closer dealers and they were not helpful at all. They did give me the 800 number for Yamaha Motor Co., but I haven't called yet. I am going to call a shop back home (Lynnwood Motoplex) and see what they say. I know the guys pretty well there and they would at least shoot me straight.

you will get no where with the 1 800 yami crap customer service #....pityful Cust Sat /Svc IMHO

My advise is to go to a Yami dealer that you know/bought the bike from and that hopefully knows you. ie...friends/sponsership/parts manager etc....

The dealer will need to fight for you - don't waste time with any dealer that will not. The dealer will drive this with the district Yami dealer manager/tech manager. Hopefully you can/the dealer can convince them (Corp Yami)that the reason for failure is faulty plating or other issue. Tell them you only use Yamilube(change oil every 2-3hrs) and premium gas as well as very strict schedule for maintenence(identical to the owner manual) ie...valve adj & oil changes. Make a log and use it to show them.

Good luck - ?

I think the sticker is on the bottom of the frame under the triples.It will say Manu.date something 2007

Wow...looks as if that $320 warranty I got was the best hop-up I 've done. Super sucks bro, this is why I am the last of my boyz to grab a 4T - Wow...just wow:confused:

I hope your 3rd party warranty company really pays for any and all claims. I have seen several that sure want your money on the frontend but rarely if ever actually pay for any claim. If fact they also have the tendency to find reasons not to pay....not to alarm you, and I hope yours is different. ?

I hope your 3rd party warranty company really pays for any and all claims. I have seen several that sure want your money on the frontend but rarely if ever actually pay for any claim. If fact they also have the tendency to find reasons not to pay....not to alarm you, and I hope yours is different. ?

+1 on the aftermarket service contracts...I have rarely seen them take care of anything. They send an adjuster out and he always ends up saying "That damage is from abuse, or improper maintenance" Were not going to cover it. And i am talking about a specific company here...there "adjuster" also doubles as an insurance claims adjuster....thinks he knows it all and really knows very little....except how to look out for the company he works for....and not cost them money.

i would not chance a rebuild on a head, just get the new head and a new set of valves, valve seals, and springs, lap the new valves in, clean it up, and re assemble. Also, check the cam for tru as well, it could also be bent/damaged from the pop. The chain took a good lick too, ur lookin at close to a grand in parts here to do this deal right. Thats if the cylinder will pass, that looks like a good size chip outta it, i would def. look into a new one or replating at the very least.

I am agreeing with these guys too on the dealer helpin you out. ITs a little rediculous to be so new and so locked up?!@

however, if u do cheap out on this, u will be back again real soon from a reused part, what im saying is, just be thorough in your inspections. Simple things can get by you and then u have another big pop because of it. Dont forget the gaskets, those stupid things are exspensive too!

however, if u do cheap out on this, u will be back again real soon from a reused part, what im saying is, just be thorough in your inspections. Simple things can get by you and then u have another big pop because of it. Dont forget the gaskets, those stupid things are exspensive too!

If I could get this thing back to new for less than a G, I would be OK with that, all things considered. Although I am still not sure what to think about that nick in the cylinder, I just don't think it could have happened from this incident. The damage seemed to be pretty well contained and the rings are perfect. What would it cost to have it replated?

I've read it before, but I am not sure what 'lapping' the valves is all about...

As for the dealer doing something, I am working on it. I ended up calling a shop back home who I have bought many bikes from and have a good relationship with. Even though I didn't buy this bike from them (the first bike in the last 5 years that I haven't bought from them...), they immediately got on the horn with Yamaha. I won't know anything until Tuesday at the earliest, although I'm not holding my breath. They are over 3k miles away and can only do so much. If and when Yamaha did something, they would have to go through the shop where I bought the bike, and I have no relationship with them at all. They just had the best OTD price.

Regardless of what happens, I know where I am buying my next bike from. Even if I have to have to start shipping them down here again, it would be worth it knowing that they have my back.

To be honest, I had not yet checked the valves. I have read sooooo many times on this same forum how bullet proof these bikes were that I figured I could wait until about the 60 hour mark.

The bike has always ran perfect and I have never had a problem starting. First or second kick EVERY time. If it was a valve out of adjustment, I would have had some warning of some kind.

I can vouch for the reliability of the Yami thumpers as I had a 400 and was very reliable but....

Dont listen to 5 or 6 tards on here who get 50, 100, 150, 200 hours on stock valves and brag about it. I call them out from time to time and usually get bad gas for it. My condolences man, I hate to see this kind of stuff. Hopefully you can get it warrantied like KAS. This is what can happen with the new generation of thumpers. Great power for a price:excuseme:

Good luck!

I can vouch for the reliability of the Yami thumpers as I had a 400 and was very reliable but....

Dont listen to 5 or 6 tards on here who get 50, 100, 150, 200 hours on stock valves and brag about it. I call them out from time to time and usually get bad gas for it. My condolences man, I hate to see this kind of stuff. Hopefully you can get it warrantied like KAS. This is what can happen with the new generation of thumpers. Great power for a price:excuseme:

Good luck!

I appreciate the support, but I'm not sure where you were headed with that either. My bike has 47 hours on it.