Question conserning my yz250f

Hey guys i got a yz250f and my dad yells at me alot becuase when i ride it i use the clutch alot to shift. He says the only time u should really use the clutch is to get started and to stop. I fight with him saying ita not good fr the bike etc. But he makes me not use it or i cant ride. LOL. So guys i was wondering... Is it damaging the bike to not use the clutch?

It's impossible to upshift while accelerating without the clutch effeciently. To much load on the transmission for the gears to slide.

I'm actually working on a product that will remedy this, full power upshifts without the clutch.

i just left off the gass... shift up and brappp on it sum more

Sounds like he's being a controlling dick...just my opinion though.

But he is partly correct, it's possible to be faster by not using the clutch to shift, just "unload" the engine by letting off the gas as said, then shift and go.

We have 2 YZ250Fs, and they both shift fine without clutch. Proper technique is to momentarily let off, not all the way, just enough to get the pressure off the gears, then pull it up. It will go fine since the tranny is a close ratio. A wide ratio tranny will also shift, but may need some coaxing. I use the clutch in tight places, on hills, and when starting out. Otherwise, it's no clutch. These bikes are the easies to shift I've owned in a long time. Once you get used to the tall first gear, I prefer the close ratio for woods... just wish I had a taller 5th and lower first sometimes. If you start missing shifts, take notice and check your oil, may be time for a change.

It's impossible to upshift while accelerating without the clutch effeciently. To much load on the transmission for the gears to slide.

I'm actually working on a product that will remedy this, full power upshifts without the clutch.

when your ready to shift, crack down the throttle a bit, so that the load evens and the bikes weight goes neutral, then shift and crack it wot again. it won't hurt anything unless you try doing it while the tranny is loaded

it will shift easy. I do this in my stick shift, but I have to wait for the rpms to go to the next gear. ie, at 3000rpms I let off the throttle, pull in to neutral, at around 2200, pull into next gear. but its not a SMG, and an SMG uses a cam to do the shifting instead of an H pattern. plus they are strait cut and stronger than helical cut car gears

alright guys thanks for ur input i guess he was right

When I'm going for quick shifts on the track, I'm full throttle, blip the clutch lever just at a hair and at the same time shift. Shifting without the clutch is fine. Our bikes use constant mesh transmissions unlike cars. With a 2 stroke you can easily shift without the clutch, but it's a little harder on a 4 stroke it usually requires a momentary let off or clutch slip.

Well, I've been riding for almost 40 years and ALWAYS use the cluth. Won my fair share of races too. None of my bikes has ever had a tranny or clutch problem, I read about bent shift forks on this forum frequently.

just my 2 cents from "The Old Guys School".

tell your dad I'm a 49 year old MX'er and the clutch holds up fine on this bike as long as you don't use it like it's a 125 and change the oil very very often.

There are 5 controls on this bike. Use as many or as few as you want to go fast with.

i do heavy woods riding with my 250f and use the clutch to death i have about 300 hours on my bike and stock clutch.

well i think its so normal for me not to use the clutch now... but i came to conclusion that not using the clutch also helps on stability cause u gotta loosen your grip on the handle to get the clutch

When I'm going for quick shifts on the track, I'm full throttle, blip the clutch lever just at a hair and at the same time shift. Shifting without the clutch is fine. Our bikes use constant mesh transmissions unlike cars. With a 2 stroke you can easily shift without the clutch, but it's a little harder on a 4 stroke it usually requires a momentary let off or clutch slip.

actually, cars use constant mesh tansmissions. where all the gears are always turning each other. but the shift caller connected to the stick shift, slides into the gear, splineing it to the shaft and that transmits the power threw that gear.

cars use helical cut gears to reduce gearbox noise, our bikes use strait cut gears for added strength

actually, cars use constant mesh tansmissions. where all the gears are always turning each other. but the shift caller connected to the stick shift, slides into the gear, splineing it to the shaft and that transmits the power threw that gear.

cars use helical cut gears to reduce gearbox noise, our bikes use strait cut gears for added strength

Aren't most car transmission synchronized?

I don't know a whole lot about them. haha If I have a question, I ask my brother, he rebuilds transmissions every day. Everything from minivans to locomotive gearboxes.

actually, cars use constant mesh tansmissions. where all the gears are always turning each other. but the shift caller connected to the stick shift, slides into the gear, splineing it to the shaft and that transmits the power threw that gear.cars use helical cut gears to reduce gearbox noise, our bikes use strait cut gears for added strength
Illustrations for those who may not understand:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1213900614/bctid1342161566

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

:thumbsup:

Aren't most car transmission synchronized?I don't know a whole lot about them. haha If I have a question, I ask my brother, he rebuilds transmissions every day. Everything from minivans to locomotive gearboxes.
Oh, and diesel locomotives don't have gearboxes. Lets not stretch the truth to make a point. :thumbsup:http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1213900614/bctid1342161625
Well, I've been riding for almost 40 years and ALWAYS use the cluth. Won my fair share of races too. None of my bikes has ever had a tranny or clutch problem, I read about bent shift forks on this forum frequently.

just my 2 cents from "The Old Guys School".

Good advice. I wasn't using my clutch to shift and I ended up with bent shift forks and a broken transmission gear. I have about 800 in parts and will be putting it back together Monday.

Don't believe those telling you to use the clutch, read the riding technique forum. There is a sticky from Gary Semics with his top 10 tips for riding. Better yet, have your dad read it. In the mean time, give the clutch a little slip to shift up, the pros do.

I usually don't use the clutch for anything but some cornering, Taking off, Stopping and Starts.

I think if you need to use the clutch to slow you down don't even touch the clutch just tap down on the shifter.

Helical gears are much stronger than straight cut spur gears. On a helical gear, each tooth is wider, allowing the tooth to hold more force without shearing.

Helical gears are much stronger than straight cut spur gears. On a helical gear, each tooth is wider, allowing the tooth to hold more force without shearing.

I'm sorry, i'm no transmission expert. but race cars use strait cut gears for added durability.

and I know that as a fact, helical cut gears are used in road cars for reducing noise, that is why the reverse is 90% of the time strait cut and whines

so why would people race with something weaker, and has more noise?