Sign in to follow this  

Fork Interchange...

My brother is looking for some forks for his 1998 CR250. Does anyone know if the CR125 forks will work? What about CRF250/450 forks?

Thanks in advance

My brother is looking for some forks for his 1998 CR250. Does anyone know if the CR125 forks will work? What about CRF250/450 forks?

Thanks in advance

you will be able to use 97-08 cr250 forks or any current crf forks. keep in mind though that from 02 until now(i think its a 33mm offset lug) that the axle changed a little, so you would also have to get the axle and spacers, but they will drop right into the stock clamps

No cr125 forks will work though?

im not sure since the 125 came with kayaba forks, and the 250 and both crf's came with 47mm showas.

keep in mind though that from 02 until now(i think its a 33mm offset lug) that the axle changed a little, so you would also have to get the axle and spacers, but they will drop right into the stock clamps
I think the axle offset on the CRF250R/450R dropped from 35 mm to 33 mm in 2005. Not sure about the axle offset on the X's. I've never been able to confirm that the same change occurred on the CR250 - Faded's post doesn't mention the change specifically, but the steering trail did increase by a little more than 2 mm for 2005. Either way, as long as both axles come from the same year/model bike, you should be OK. Also not sure about the CR125 Kayabas...

I think the axle offset on the CRF250R/450R dropped from 35 mm to 33 mm in 2005. Not sure about the axle offset on the X's. I've never been able to confirm that the same change occurred on the CR250 - Faded's post doesn't mention the change specifically, but the steering trail did increase by a little more than 2 mm for 2005. Either way, as long as both axles come from the same year/model bike, you should be OK. Also not sure about the CR125 Kayabas...

yeah, i couldnt say for sure if the cr250 forks changed from 02. i know the crf also had a different brake carrier from 04 or 05, but i think the cr250 stayed the same.

So far what I've found is '02-04 are the same (externally), then '05-up had the different axle offset, this applies to CR250. If I'm not mistaken the CRF stuff was the same as CR year for year.

I may be upgrading to a set of '04 forks soon, which may mean my '02 CR250 forks would be available, and I'm also in WA. The reason I wanted the '04's is slightly better mid-valve dampening.

I put 06 crf250 forks and shock on my 01 cr250. Everything worked but I had to use the bracket off of the 06's brake caliper to make the brake work. Made a world of differance.

I may be upgrading to a set of '04 forks soon, which may mean my '02 CR250 forks would be available, and I'm also in WA. The reason I wanted the '04's is slightly better mid-valve dampening.
That brings up another difference; I believe the '02 and earlier forks had 23 mm diameter base valve pistons. The '03 up forks have 30 mm base valves. I've read that it's much easier to properly tune the 33 mm setups. If I'm not mistaken, the 23 mm and 33 mm base valve assemblies have the same exterior dimensions and are interchangeable.
The reason I wanted the '04's is slightly better mid-valve dampening.
It would be pretty cheap and easy to upgrade to '05 - up base valve assemblies (part 15 below ~ $70 each side) and just revalve the mid valve to '05 - up specs yourself. You can find almost all the info you need here (register and go to Spring Rate Calc & STK Valving), here and in the Honda Service Manual. I buy all my valving shims, etc., from either FC or MX-Tech in AZ (623-463-3488). You can buy valving parts elsewhere, but FC and MX-Tech are guaranteed to sell high quality parts. If you decide to do it, go ahead and install all new fork bushings and seals while you're at it.

2300_FRONT%20SHOCK%20ABSORBER.gif

That brings up another difference; I believe the '02 and earlier forks had 23 mm diameter base valve pistons. The '03 up forks have 30 mm base valves. I've read that it's much easier to properly tune the 33 mm setups. If I'm not mistaken, the 23 mm and 33 mm base valve assemblies have the same exterior dimensions and are interchangeable.

It would be pretty cheap and easy to upgrade to '05 - up base valve assemblies (part 15 below ~ $70 each side) and just revalve the mid valve to '05 - up specs yourself. You can find almost all the info you need here (register and go to Spring Rate Calc & STK Valving), here and in the Honda Service Manual. I buy all my valving shims, etc., from either FC or MX-Tech in AZ (623-463-3488). You can buy valving parts elsewhere, but FC and MX-Tech are guaranteed to sell high quality parts. If you decide to do it, go ahead and install all new fork bushings and seals while you're at it.

2300_FRONT%20SHOCK%20ABSORBER.gif

Thanks for the info Skip, I was planning on taking the forks/shock to a local suspension tuner for springs, valving and rebuild. He has an '04 set of forks he was going to either sell me complete, or pull that assembly from. As I understand they also had an improved honing method on the '04 fork tubes, but that's probably not a significant difference. FC offers a device that updates the 97-02 forks, but I'm not sure if it changes the base valve diameter as the assembly you outlined above (see link below for FC part). I did ask some of these questions on the suspension forum, but got no responses.

I hope the original poster finds this info valuable, no intention to pirate your thread here.

http://www.factoryconnection.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FC&Product_Code=LSV47MMS&Category_Code=FP