spare tube?

When carrying a spare inner tube in case of a flat, is it best to carry one that fits the back or the front wheel? I think I read somewhere that the front one is the one to carry because it will the back rim also. Is this correct?

yes you can make the front fit the back. thats why i carry one. But most of the time on a big ride i carry both a front and rear.

Yes carrying just a front is the standard advice. But I had a very bad experience with a front tube in the rear and then a blow out. So I will never do that again. Plus it is usually the rear that goes flat. So, carry 2 tues or a rear plus patches.

Yes carrying just a front is the standard advice. But I had a very bad experience with a front tube in the rear and then a blow out. So I will never do that again. Plus it is usually the rear that goes flat. So, carry 2 tues or a rear plus patches.

Good advice there. If you have a decent toolkit or a pack, voth should not be a problem. As a replacement you could carry lighter duty tubes instead of HD's they are easier to get on. And carry soem monkey butt powder on every ride, helps slide those tubes on too.

Thanks everyone. Good advice. I wasn't sure and it never hurts to ask.