Throttle Tube Replacement

So i got my fat bars on and i get the new grip on the left side and go to pull the grip off the throttle tube and it would appear to have been molded as part of the tube, so who has good/bad input on what throttle tubes are available.

I used a Zeta tube. Great value and perfect fit.

is the zeta tube aluminum?

Plastic.

The OEm grip will come off, but it's a lot of work and mess. Sharp knife, wire wheel on a grinder both work.. Just watch your fingers.

It's time consuming, but not hard.

thanks bronco. i got the old screw driver and air nozzle out to pop it off with nothing. Then i put a nice slit down the center to peel it away, nothing. Then i got really into and starting prying, cutting, peeling and it didnt seem to go very well. So i left most of the grip on so i could at least ride to the store if i need to. Maybe ill get ambitious and try again:)

thanks

i've always just used the air nozzle on all my bikes and had the grips come off right away...yours must of been glued on or something

every other bike on earth has come off like that for me as well lyzic but not this one. It must be some serious gorilla snot holding this thing on:). I got this bike with under 200miles on it bone stock and had never seen dirt so i know whatever is on there came from the factory that way. I wish they put that much time into greasing bearings.

It's that way on all DRZ's.. The grip is glued/ molded to the throttle tube.

Yes it is different then other bikes. Dont sweat it.. It just is.

We talked about in another thread, the rubber grip is vulcanized on there. Heat welded sort of.

When I ordered my fattys I asked about the throttle tube and the guy on the phone said no. Should have listened to my gut, the throttle took me longer than the whole rest of the install. I like Zeta but check TT store for a metal one just as a comparison.

thanks guys. yeah i knew as soon as i started on it that something was different. no biggie just a pain because i ordered the bars, risers and new tires. sidewalls were so stiff that i ended up pinching a tube leaving me bike less. placed an order for a tube and some grips, 4 days later now i need to order more stuff. At least its ridable with my half mangled grip. I do have a motion pro push/pull throttle for some gsxr flat slides, i wonder if the tubes are close:)

same with the DR950se

I just spent 2 hours fighting with mine before I threw it away. Fffffing Suzuki. Never seen anything like that.:thumbsup:

I just spent 2 hours fighting with mine before I threw it away. Fffffing Suzuki. Never seen anything like that.:thumbsup:

Guess you have never had a new Japanese dirt bike! They are all like that. Vulcanized on.

Ahh, come on now.. :ride: It's not that big a deal... I may have spent 30 minutes start to finish when I removed that first grip from my stock DRZ S in 2003. I was in a motel parking lot in Washington. Just a sharp knife in hand and a can of brake clean.

You can whittle off the majority of the grip in just a few minutes. What remains is the hard part. Later I found a wire wheel on a 4 ½ angle grind will do the job in just another few minutes… but baring something like that to help.. some more carful slicing with a knife and you can get it down to the plastic tube pretty quickly. Though not perfectly clean, close enough to get a new grip on.

Guess you have never had a new Japanese dirt bike! They are all like that. Vulcanized on.

Well, my YZ and XR before that were nothing like this one. Slice them and peel them back and you are done. After whittling away all the rubber it still looked like crap and was no where near smooth. Not worth the time to mess with.