How do I replace Kick Starter Gears on a 2003 CRF150F

I have looked and looked to try and make sure i am not reasking an existing question. I think I'm not. There have been a lot of threads about needing to replace the kick starter gears on a CRF150F, but none about how to do it. Can I get to everything I need through the side cover, or is what I need to get to burried deeper in the engine? I haven't opened one of these bikes up before so if this is a stupid question forgive me. I don't have time to wait for my ordered shop manual to arrive. I would like to have this thing ready for my wife to ride over the holiday week-end. I'm pretty sure the dealership has the parts, I just need an idea about how to do it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

rarice,

You have to remove and completely tear down the engine to change the gears. The center cases must be split as the kickstart gears are incorporated into the transmission.

Good luck and ride safely.

I've never split the cases on anything.... That may be more than I can handle. how much do you think this will cost at the dealer?

its hard if you have no experience i got my 04 kick start gears done by my dealer after the parts and everything it was 600 dollars (they told me it was going to be 400-500 at most and then i had to sh** with them to lower the price to 600. i have not been back to that dealer in 3 years and do not ever to recommend them to any one ever again. Get coeshows kick start gears the are much better than stock

Yeah, my crappy local dealership wouldn't even give me a ball park idea. Rockwall Honda is a joke. I called another dealer and they waid it would be $500+ parts... Looks like I'll be tearing it down in my garage. my service manual should be here in a day or so. Funny thing for Rockwall Honda is, the 150 is my wife's bike, I was going to buy a CRF450 from them until the service guy was so rude, I mean this guy was a real tool. So I'm going down the street and getting a hold back 2007 yz450. at least their service department will talk to you and let you know what's going on. I'll take some pictures and good notes. If it works out well for me, I'll see about putting them up on here to help other guys in my position.