Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading Stock '08 DRZ400S

Ok folks I hope first that I've posted in the proper area ! Just joined site tonight !

I just bought a 2008 DRZ400S and I'm ready to void my 1year maf. warrenty already :thumbsup: !!!! Don't get me wrong I love the bike but I'm 6foot and 275lbs so I don't think I'm seeing what skinny fellas see outa the box. All I can say is that it has a bit more punch than my old XR200R

So far here is what I have ordered , what I need from you guys is to tell me if I'm missing anything vitial !

K&N Jet Kit Stage 1 (do I need any other jets from TT in addition to these ? )

K&N Air Filter

YOSHIMURA RS-3 Competition Stainless Steel Off-road Exhaust

NGK Iridium Sparkplug CR8EIX

Stainless Steel Oil Filter

Magnetic Oil Plug (after changing oil myself I noticed that stock already is)

Bark Busters (I know they don't make it go faster )

New Black side plastics to replace the stock white ones

I know I have to order :

1: Float Bowl Kit ?

2: Extended Fuel Misture Screw

3: ???? What else guys and gals

I have a chance to buy a set of HotCams - Brand New for $300 to my door and since thats like $80 cheaper than I've always been able to price with s/h I think I might jump on that too!

Could someone help a newbie out ? Thanks guys and girls

well if your jumping in....

Do the 3x3 mod along rejetting..but

change the jet kit to a JD kit (jds005).

better kit,comes with bowl screws, larger selection of jets

come with the needed 25 pilot.....

recommended the most around here.

add some TT case covers to the list..

heard many stories of silly tip overs and bike falling in garages... having shift/brake levers poking holes

in the cases...easy protection/ proven well many times around here.

not positive, but the rs3 for the S was dropped.

The E is avail. but different mount points, no heat shield bosses.

works the same, just giving a heads up.

The rs2 is basicly the same pipe. but mounts like factory. and looks

better

now as a big guy... need to respring...stock is set up for 150-180lb. type.

stock rates are Ft. .44 and Rr 5.5kg

Im running around the 230-40 mark and

running ft .50 aand a 6.0 rr... really improves the bike once its set for you.:thumbsup:

Any recc.'s on what to buy for the spring kit , and where ??? And as far as the RS 3 not fitting , god I hope your wrong it says it fits 2000-2005 and dealer says that anything that will fit an '05 will fit a 2008 , I bought this on ebay 1hr ago I hope it will fit. My fault i know but I'm hoping

Ok folks I hope first that I've posted in the proper area ! Just joined site tonight !

I just bought a 2008 DRZ400S and I'm ready to void my 1year maf. warrenty already :thumbsup: !!!! Don't get me wrong I love the bike but I'm 6foot and 275lbs so I don't think I'm seeing what skinny fellas see outa the box. All I can say is that it has a bit more punch than my old XR200R

So far here is what I have ordered , what I need from you guys is to tell me if I'm missing anything vitial !

K&N Jet Kit Stage 1 (do I need any other jets from TT in addition to these ? )Use the JD kit and PM eddie your elevation and mods and he ewill give you spot on jetting. Kind of a waste BC all you use is the Needle and Spring, and of course the drill bit but oh well.

K&N Air Filter Good

YOSHIMURA RS-3 Competition Stainless Steel Off-road Exhaust I see you bought it a year ago. These were always a bugger to mount BC they were made for the E and it doesnt have buddy pegs. Search Peg eliminator (you can get them from Forrest at Wheeling Supply) or search RS3 and see how guys have done it. Longer bolt, rubber o rings and washers usually works. It is said to be superior the RS2 but at the time I wanted to buy all I could get from TT store was RS2.

NGK Iridium Sparkplug CR8EIX cool

Stainless Steel Oil Filter Forget it, lets too big of particles get through, get the OEM from TT store BC it comes with replacement o ring. Dont forget it BC it will not filter without it. K & N is good too.

Magnetic Oil Plug (after changing oil myself I noticed that stock already is)YUP me too

Bark Busters (I know they don't make it go faster ) I picked up the CYCRA's for cheap and added mounts for fatbars when I went to them. I added blue low profile enduro inserts BC I liked them better than the big ugly white ones. ZETA(Wheeling again) has some neat ones and some with built in signals.

New Black side plastics to replace the stock white ones Look into blue vinyl or black number backers. lots cheaper than black plastics and the black plastics scratch way easily, esp offroad.

I know I have to order :

1: Float Bowl Kit ? 2 allen screws get from TT store

2: Extended Fuel Misture Screw stay away from zip tie, i went with Keintech

3: ???? What else guys and gals Euro Suzuki rack

I have a chance to buy a set of HotCams - Brand New for $300 to my door and since thats like $80 cheaper than I've always been able to price with s/h I think I might jump on that too! GO FOR IT

Could someone help a newbie out ? Thanks guys and girls

You got it!

Any recc.'s on what to buy for the spring kit , and where ??? And as far as the RS 3 not fitting , god I hope your wrong it says it fits 2000-2005 and dealer says that anything that will fit an '05 will fit a 2008 , I bought this on ebay 1hr ago I hope it will fit. My fault i know but I'm hoping

racetech spings are what I used. their site has a calc. that

can advise what needed for weight and type riding.

as for the pipe might be old stock. If the ad said for a S... your ok

OK ???? Worst case scenerio if this won't fit and if I could buy a "Power Bomb Header " and a slip on Yoshi but then do I also need to replace the "mid pipe" ???? This was what I wanted to avoid was parting this whole systems and buy the entire manf. made , please give opinions

I bought this off of ebay if anyone could look it up and give their opinions ?

Item number: 250248911657

OK ???? Worst case scenerio if this won't fit and if I could buy a "Power Bomb Header " and a slip on Yoshi but then do I also need to replace the "mid pipe" ???? This was what I wanted to avoid was parting this whole systems and buy the entire manf. made , please give opinions

no big issues on it fitting... it will, been done many times.

just slightly different mounting...

browse some past threads on pipe installs, and get some ideas.

Once you get the pipe figured out....I would suggest bagging the jet kit (saves you $80) and putting that money towards a 39MM FCR-MX carb kit. I'm not sure what the current availablity of these is (The TT store here sells them but the supply is off and on) but do a search here and you will see that it is considered the most bang for the buck of all the mods available. I did the RS-2 full Yosh pipe ($430) and the FCR ($540) and that is all the power I need for now....I weighed 235 at the time I bought my bike but decided to get some free HP by losing 25 Lbs. so I am now 210 and it was like getting another $500 worth of HP mods. Worked for me since I had it to lose. If you know someone who has done these mods try to get a ride on their bike and you will be sold. Good luck and i am glad to know that I'm not the only one to mod mine up before the warranty was up....I had 800 miles when I piped and carbed it.

I'm @ 1160 and lol hey its easier to spend cash that I don't have then to do that cardio stuff thats no fun, liftings my game but killing me in the end. I've found Peg Eliminator so does this mean that I can mount the pipe AND still use my passenger foot peg (gf only weighs 107lbs) so ?????