Need advice on 05 vs. newer year 450x

Hey all,

Newbie here, and just trying to get some solid advice. I'm interested in purchasing a new (used) bike. I want a CRF 450x. I live in SoCal, will probably ride 80% trail, 20% dunes/sand.

Think I'm pretty sold on this bike. I want a green sticker for sure.

My question is, are there any significant differences between an 05 when compared to an 06/07/08...? I'd really like to be under 4k so I'm probably going to be looking at 05/06's, just want to make sure there isn't any significant reason that I should consider spending more on a newer model.

Was 05 the first year of this bike?

Is there an older bike Honda made that is green stickered and would be a fine bike to have instead of spending this much for this particular model?

Sorry for all the questions.....thanks in advance for any help/advice.

-Luke

hey, i ride an 06 crf450x and i absolutely love it.. it has plenty of power and can tear through any thing.. i don't think that anything else honda makes (thats also green sticker) can match the performance.. i do a lot of riding in southern california and it is a perfect bike..

i haven't ridden an 05, but the 06 hauls..

'05, '06, '07, '08 are all essentially the same bike.

In '06/7 they improved a few parts (3rd gear lubrication, accelerator pump) and in '08 they improved it a bit more (Less offset on triple clamp, steering dampner, better stock jetting).

Looks like you found two great places to get answers. Make sure to jet the bike, do the smog modification and check the front tire. If it has the stock 742 on it then change it or you will be sorry after the front end washes out on you for no good reason. There are a lot of things to do to make the bike better(if you can believe it).:thumbsup:

I'm perfectly happy with my '05 and see no reason to change unless it is for a newer 450X.

I'm perfectly happy with my '05 and see no reason to change unless it is for a newer 450X.

it'll be interesting to see what honda has in store for '09 though...:thumbsup:

it'll be interesting to see what honda has in store for '09 though...:bonk:

Me too, Ivan....I'm thinking Honda is coming out with a streetable 70HP 600X with SS valves, E-start, 4 gallon tank, and a curb weight of 225lbs.:thumbsup: It'll be a fuel injected and a 4 speed though.:ride:

Me too, Ivan....I'm thinking Honda is coming out with a streetable 70HP 600X with SS valves, E-start, 4 gallon tank, and a curb weight of 225lbs.:thumbsup: It'll be a fuel injected and a 4 speed though.:ride:

Sounds too good to be true, thats everything i want. Hopefully they will actually do it :bonk:

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I am super intrigued with that 600X you guys are talking about. That's lighter than the 450X, how would they do that?

I know it's speculation, but hypothetically speaking, would that bike be about as capable of the 450X is on an 05-08 model?

Btw, was 2005 the first year of this CRF450X?

Keep the comments coming :thumbsup:

Btw, was 2005 the first year of this CRF450X?

Yes :thumbsup: