Valve Clearance 2008 530 EXCR?

Time to check the valves, read Dave Hoplins 'how-to" (dated 1/29/2007).

So........the manual states:

intake 0.1....0.15 mm

exhaust 0.1....0.17 mm

My question is......do they mean a range from 0.1 to 0.15 intake, 0.1 to 0.17 exhaust?

If so, why not just set both at say 0.14, and if so....why not simply state the same setting for both in the manual?

I am having a heck of a time trying to purchase a 0.17 mm feeler gauge, having looked at Sears, Pep-Boys and local KTM shops.

Yes they mean that if they measure between those clearances they are OK. They need to have a range because of the shim sizes. eg if the clearance is out .02 ( say .17 ) and the next shim size if .05 difference when you change the shim the clearance will be .12 which is within spec

ANy of those stores will have feeler gauges in inches so we need to do the conversion .4 equals four thousands so intake range .004" to .006", exhaust .004" to .007".

If they stated .014" owners would go crazy trying different shim shooting for an exact # that it is not nessasry to achive.

Thanks guys.....it's all clear now.:thumbsup::ride:

So the '08 models have bucket over shim. Sorry but this is new to me. I currently am wringing my hands over a 450 or 530 EXC=R for D/s - heavy on the dirt side. So, with bucket over shim arrangement, is the frequency of valve adjustments less?

Yes, In KTMs testing they claim some of these motors have went 100 hrs without adjustment.

Yep just checked my 08 530 excr, all good. The exhaust has seated deeper than the intake as expected but well within at 6 hours. Most of the drastic changes should be done by that point.

I've been riding KTM's for 8 years but yet have had time to ask this qustion, is it soft valves or soft seats? If soft valves what about titaniem(sp?) valves?

Actually, there is no bucket over the shim ...which makes replacing the shims much easier!

And the top of the head and valve cover are at a 45 degree slant. So once you pull off the valve cover ...you have direct access to reach in from the side and check the shim clearance. It's very open and very easy -- easiest shim bike I have ever worked on.

And if you need to replace a shim? That's easy-peezy too! You simply pull out a side plug, remove the rocker arm shaft bolt, slide the rocker arm out to the side - and then you can lift up the rocker arm and replace the shim. Re-insert, re-torque the rocker arm shaft ... and you're DONE!

You do not have to frack with the cam chain, torqueing any cam chain towers, etc.

I needed to adjust three of the shims on my '08 450 EXC-R at 11 hours.

I am now at 50 hours and they haven't moved at all. :thumbsup:

Cheers! E-Ticket

So the '08 models have bucket over shim. Sorry but this is new to me. I currently am wringing my hands over a 450 or 530 EXC=R for D/s - heavy on the dirt side. So, with bucket over shim arrangement, is the frequency of valve adjustments less?
Actually, there is no bucket over the shim ...which makes replacing the shims much easier!

And the top of the head and valve cover are at a 45 degree slant. So once you pull off the valve cover ...you have direct access to reach in from the side and check the shim clearance. It's very open and very easy -- easiest shim bike I have ever worked on.

And if you need to replace a shim? That's easy-peezy too! You simply pull out a side plug, remove the rocker arm shaft bolt, slide the rocker arm out to the side - and then you can lift up the rocker arm and replace the shim. Re-insert, re-torque the rocker arm shaft ... and you're DONE!

You do not have to frack with the cam chain, torqueing any cam chain towers, etc.

I needed to adjust three of the shims on my '08 450 EXC-R at 11 hours.

I am now at 50 hours and they haven't moved at all. :thumbsup:

Cheers! E-Ticket

I take delivery this morning. Very anxious. It's hard to believe KTM actujally made the valve adjustment easy. My dealer says he has not had any bikes come in that needed shims, yet. He doesn't even stock the shims.;; Hope mine works the same way. I really appreciate the tutorial on vALve adjustment process. Saves a lot of reading. :p

Checked mine at 3 hours and they were all good.

I have not need to adjust mine yet, but are due for a check now at 80 hrs