Sign in to follow this  

Blown Engine, What should I do?

I just rode my bike today, and my dad told me he mixed my gas but it was straight. :ride: Well the piston seized to the cylinder and the bottom end is seized. I took it apart and brought it to the dealer. They said it will cost me around 600 bucks for everything.:bonk: My dad is taking the blame for it, and is paying for the cost. He told me that I could do whatever I wanted with the bike. I was wondering (I've seen alot of people do it lately) if I could throw a XR or DRZ 250 or 400 engine in my RM's frame? What is involved in doing something like this, and if you were in my shoes, what would you do with the bike?:thumbsup:

Fixing the engine would get you back riding the quickest. Modifying your bike to accept another engine is fine, but you'll be down a while fabricating.

Yea, thats what I thought. My buddy has an old XR250R (not sure of the year, i think mid-80's) that he offered to give me for free. Good news though! I haven't told the dealer why the engine blew yet, and they called me 15 minutes ago to tell me that my main jet was 3 sizes too small :mad::p It is a 340 instead of the 370 that is supposed to come "stock" on the bike. They told me that "this was the cause of the problem" :lol: (even though it was most likely the combination of the both, hehe) so they are going to re-do the engine for free! :thumbsup: I get the new engine by tuesday PLUS I don't have to pay a dime!!!! :lol: What they don't know cant hurt them! :ride::bonk:

I just hope you drained the straight gas from the tank, otherwise when they go to start it up, it'll be running on the same gas.... :thumbsup:

make it a 144 and be riding in a week or two instead of hoping a bunch of fabrication might work.

I just hope you drained the straight gas from the tank, otherwise when they go to start it up, it'll be running on the same gas.... :thumbsup:

Or when th to drain it and put new gas back in they will see its not mixed and wallah he has to pay

Nope we drained it already no worries :thumbsup: I went to put in the mixed gas, went to kick it but it was stuck. Thats when we took it apart and found it seized.

You sure no one from that dealership reads this forum!

LOL:lol: :thumbsup::ride: Yea I'm pretty sure that they don't but if they do and they get this just the laugh of coincidence will cheer me up enough to fork over that 600 bucks. Lol thanks for the laugh.

Yea, thats what I thought. My buddy has an old XR250R (not sure of the year, i think mid-80's) that he offered to give me for free. Good news though! I haven't told the dealer why the engine blew yet, and they called me 15 minutes ago to tell me that my main jet was 3 sizes too small :p:mad: It is a 340 instead of the 370 that is supposed to come "stock" on the bike. They told me that "this was the cause of the problem" :mad: (even though it was most likely the combination of the both, hehe) so they are going to re-do the engine for free! :thumbsup: I get the new engine by tuesday PLUS I don't have to pay a dime!!!! :lol: What they don't know cant hurt them! :ride::bonk:

Cool dealer, but knowing dealers you pushed them to do that. Regardless of you pushing them or not, this is fraudulent with your knowledge and the last place you want this is on the internet for righteous people like me to start calling every dealership in BC. :mad: :mad:

Oh and by the way, working where I work, it is pretty easy for me to contact the dealerships or find out about a warranty claim.:mad::lol:

• Like 1

atleast you will be able to ride again, but what happens if you get caught out:p

i wish i would get things on warrenty with honda when its there problems but the chances of that is like fiding a needle in a hay stack.

something tells me the dealer will know something's up when they find absolutely no oil during the teardown..

just man up and pay the bill. a dealership willing to warranty something like that is a good find and it's probably not worth ruining your relationship with them if they ever feel like they've been screwed.

Cool dealer, but knowing dealers you pushed them to do that. Regardless of you pushing them or not, this is fraudulent with your knowledge and the last place you want this is on the internet for righteous people like me to start calling every dealership in BC. :mad::lol:

Oh and by the way, working where I work, it is pretty easy for me to contact the dealerships or find out about a warranty claim.:bonk::lol:

:thumbsup: Snitch! :ride:

Cool dealer, but knowing dealers you pushed them to do that. Regardless of you pushing them or not, this is fraudulent with your knowledge and the last place you want this is on the internet for righteous people like me to start calling every dealership in BC. :bonk::lol:

Oh and by the way, working where I work, it is pretty easy for me to contact the dealerships or find out about a warranty claim.:thumbsup::ride:

Geez, give the kid a break. The dealership will get paid and Honda has deep pockets. I just think about all the times the manufacturers have soaked us all for repairs that should have been covered by warranty, I am for letting them eat this one and I suspect the dealer is trying to maintain a good customer relationship.

Not the smartest thing to put in a thread. You were prolly better off with that jet to begin with since they are so rich from the factory. Also, if the crank was siezed too, $600 sounds very reasonable.

So the dealer called me this morning and told me that there was insufficient cooling, whiched caused overheating and eventually seizing. (btw there was some oil left in there when I ripped it apart from previous rides with the mixed gas, durrr :thumbsup: ) I asked them was the jetting the culprit again? And they asked me if I mixed the gas correctly. I told them that my last ride I accidentally put in straight gas. They asked me for how long did you run it with straight gas? I told them about 20 minutes (which is the truth, btw). They asked me what I mixed the gas with before this incident, I replied Bel-Ray H1R 100% Synthetic (which everyone swears by at that dealership). He told me that it wasn't long enough to cause the engine to seize, and there were no markings on the cylinder indicating "insuffiecient lubrication". He said that the jetting wouldn't do this, it would just run rougher if anything at all. He thanked me and told me he'd get back to me with the problem. So about 2 hours later he calls me back and asks me if I ever touched the rads. Obviously I didn't, because the bike is only a few rides old. So then he told me the real "breaking news". There was a mech in their shop for a few months working during the "last year bike closeouts" during september to november, and was fired cuz apparently the guy had no clue what he was doing. Anyways, the mech currently working there found straight water in my rad filled halfway. (the muppet obviously forgot to put in the coolant) So when I started to ride my bike like it should be ridden post break-in, it overheated and everything seized (in a nutshell) So I'm still covered for the now $860 in damages due to 2 rusted rads and a seized piston-to-cyl and seized bottom end. Great customer service!

Yea, thats what I thought. My buddy has an old XR250R (not sure of the year, i think mid-80's) that he offered to give me for free. Good news though! I haven't told the dealer why the engine blew yet, and they called me 15 minutes ago to tell me that my main jet was 3 sizes too small :lol::mad: It is a 340 instead of the 370 that is supposed to come "stock" on the bike. They told me that "this was the cause of the problem" :p (even though it was most likely the combination of the both, hehe) so they are going to re-do the engine for free! :thumbsup: I get the new engine by tuesday PLUS I don't have to pay a dime!!!! :mad: What they don't know cant hurt them! :ride::lol:

WHAT!!!! Why are they doing it for free. Did you buy the bike from them recently?? :bonk:

Dude, you are SO lucky that they are doing it for free:eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is a good lesson for all to check your oil and coolant before your first ride. I read about something like this the night after my first ride and ran outside in my boxers to check my fluids lol. All was well, though.

Yea, I've definetely learned to check all oil/coolant levels. I went over every single nut and bolt on the bike when I got it I couldn't believe how loose some stuff was. And yeah, the bike was bought from THEM, but not really recently. I bought it in october and had it sitting due to weather and just started running it in this spring and riding it. Funny though, my dad started laughing when I told him THAT was the problem. The guy from the dealer said that becuase we live at a higher elevation that I needed a smaller main jet anyways, but not the 340. He said that a 360 would have been more reasonable. Anyways, the bike is going to be ready tomorrow since they found the problem so quick, I can't wait to get back on it.

This is a good lesson for all to check your oil and coolant before your first ride. I read about something like this the night after my first ride and ran outside in my boxers to check my fluids lol. All was well, though.

:ride::bonk::lol::mad::thumbsup: