Sign in to follow this  

Stock Exhaust Mods?

Just starting on all the mods and was wondering if there is any quick "intervention" that can be done with the stock can (like drilling) to make a better sound or even a little kick?? This got me by with my TL1000S for a little while too.

Waiting on DRC taillight and led's, and the zeta handguards with flashers.

Any SM owners on the TT blog who live around Eastern Ontario (Ottawa), now that the last snow bank is gone it's time to ride!!!

Also, any input from Canadian owners on which U.S. companies / sites are the preferred choice would be great.

Thx all,

SpeedUp

The popular mod is to use 1 3/8 hole saw to the end cap. There is no realistic way to add performance but the 1 3/8 will give more noise if that is what you want. I recommend do not be the 10,001 person to ruin a perfectly good muffler. The end cap is not replaceable from Suzuki. People with moded end caps are all the time looking for stock ones.

So no way to remove end cap and do some plumbing...??

Good to know, and if it's just noise at the cost of ruining the stocker, then I'll wait to pick a full system in a bit.

The TL drill-out was hidden and sounded awesome, but no extra kick (just wishful thinking).

You can buy larger end caps off ebay that give it a cooler look and deeper tone if you don't want to destroy the stock end cap.

You can buy larger end caps off ebay that give it a cooler look and deeper tone if you don't want to destroy the stock end cap.

THanks!! I hope to get a yosh in the next couple months.

i had an extra exhaust from another dr-z. what i did was the 3x3 w/ JD jet kit. i took the extra can and punched out the spark arrestor screen. i also used a concrete drill and drilled multiple holes through all stages of the baffles. this allowed me to run a 160 main jet.

this does not produce power like a new full exhaust system would provide but it does make your bike sound more respectable and it now revs much cleaner. power wheelies in 2nd are no problem.

Just remove the end cap untill you buy a full exhaust and put your $35 towards that.

I used the billet end cap until I got a full system and for $35.00, and without butchering the can, it sounded great. Also, although most if not all here will disagree, I think it even added a fraction of power.

I think Im just going to leave it off. I got graphics still to buy AND an exhaust. Graphics are coming first and if it sounds good with the end cap I will add the FCR before an exhaust. Only problem is my graphics kit is going to have YOshimura on it but I wont have a yosh yet. Does that make me a poser?

The spark arrester is part of the original end cap, if you get the billet one from ebay it doesn't have a spark arrester. I used an 1 3/8" hole saw on mine 3 years ago, have never looked for a original stock one. Gets rid of the anemic stock sound for a nice throaty sound yet much quieter than any aftermarket system. Your buddies will know when you pass them, +1 for safety! If your looking for more power the trick is to use a head pipe from an E model, larger diameter. You have to use a gasket and clamp from the E model and have a muffler shop expand the muffler to fit the head pipe.:)

if you get the billet one from ebay it doesn't have a spark arrester.

Some of them do. The one that I bought came with one, it's just a screen that sits behind the cap and doesn't portrude into the muffler like the stock one.

Just remove the end cap untill you buy a full exhaust and put your $35 towards that.

Have you ever ran your DRZ with the endcap removed? It sounds like a$$.

I have my inner baffle drilled out and added the billet end cap and it actually sounds great, nice note, opened up can. Do it any way you want, this works great for me, for now.

:):lol:

you said your going for yoshi graphics ? just wondered what ones and were your getting them from as they seem to be like rocking horse poo !

i got a set on my bike at the mo but would also like another set for when these are knackered , not that it comes out in anything but sunshine lol (unfortuanatly were lacking it here in the uk at the mo :)

you said your going for yoshi graphics ? just wondered what ones and were your getting them from as they seem to be like rocking horse poo !

i got a set on my bike at the mo but would also like another set for when these are knackered , not that it comes out in anything but sunshine lol (unfortuanatly were lacking it here in the uk at the mo :lol:

Im getting custom graphics but with the Yosh logo in them. Im thinking I may not use the Yosh logo because I thing I want the SSW/MRD over the Yosh unless I find a good deal on a used yosh.

Depends on the sound you want. I originally opened up my end cap and I was pleased with the increase in sound, it was deeper than the original putt putt, but I soon found a great deal om a full yoshi system and well I think it was well spent money. At first I had just order a two brothers slip on here in the north, and it came to 485 Cdn, but in southern Ontario there is a dealer "Blue Streak Racing". He is a big two brothers dealer and he had me sold on a delivered slip on for 385 Cdn so you may want to look at that. they are a very deep sounding pipe, any bike with one sounds mean. Check out you tube for two brothers. You'll shave off some bike weight also.

Jason