Sign in to follow this  

Piutes Ride

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to Dove Springs this weekend and was wondering if anyone who knows the area would be up there and willing to hook up for a ride? I know I'm going to hear a lot about how its not safe unless you know where you're going, that's why I am asking here. I am an experienced rider on a meticulously maintained CR 250 with a desert tank. Everyone in my group can do pretty much all the trails I take them on. Whenever I see single track, that's where I go. Whether or not someone who knows the area will be up there, my group and I are going to take a ride there (minus the little kids). In this case, what would be the most helpful map (I hear the FOJ map is horrible in the Piutes). Anyone want to take us:thumbsup:

Thats a pretty long trip from ds.You prolly wont be able to get to far into the piutes

From DS it's about a 60-65 mile round trip to the BASE of the Piutes.

I just did the same ride last weekend. First restroom on the main raod in DS to Landers camp in the Piutes. A few single track rides and back to camp. 80-miles round trip and I ran out of fuel at 85 miles. Lots of fun on the trailes. Can't wait to go back.

While you can certainly get into trouble riding in the Piutes, it isn't rocket science. The first time I rode up there I just went up there with a buddy and rode it. Just use common sense and you'll be fine (Be prepared! - the Boy Scout ten essentials plus a basic tool kit is a good idea).

If you want to ride there just stage/camp there. We usually camp at Landers Meadow since there is water there. Good luck

Tim

The only green sticker legal route up is the Bright Star trail. Almost every dirt road is off limits unless you are plated. Stop in at the Jawbone station and find where the Bright star trail starts from in Kelso valley. The FOJ map will get you on the Bright star trail. It just sucks after that.

The Bright star has a little hill mid way up. If you can't make it up that you have no business riding the Piutes.

One option is to drive the truck up a ways. I often will stage at the junction of 37 and 120 to get some more range for trail riding.

Cardinal rule for the Piutes. Don't go down anything that you can't get back up.

Defy the odds, take Harris grade to Landers Mdws. Making that Brightstar uphill worse will surely get the trail closed in time.

FYI - Sequoia NF is planning on upping the enforcement in the Piutes. There is going to be one bike Ranger pretty much dedicated to the area this summer. That's a big increase over what I remember up there. I have hardly ever seen a ranger in a truck, let alone one on a bike.

I do agree about the BrightStar hill. There are a lot of side trails that lesser skilled riders have made to get up that section. The problem is that part of the trail is in a narrow corridor through the wilderness. It's going to need fixing so people stay on the trail.

The only green sticker legal route up is the Bright Star trail. Almost every dirt road is off limits unless you are plated. Stop in at the Jawbone station and find where the Bright star trail starts from in Kelso valley. The FOJ map will get you on the Bright star trail. It just sucks after that.

The Bright star has a little hill mid way up. If you can't make it up that you have no business riding the Piutes.

One option is to drive the truck up a ways. I often will stage at the junction of 37 and 120 to get some more range for trail riding.

Cardinal rule for the Piutes. Don't go down anything that you can't get back up.

Perfectly said.

:thumbsup::ride::bonk:

:lol: Agreed ... I was thinking the same thing when i read that, but it is true

:ride::bonk::lol:
:mad: Agreed ... I was thinking the same thing when i read that, but it is true

:thumbsup: Now that I wrote that it will probably kick my ass the next time I head up that way.

I didn't go up there this weekend but next time I am going to try and stage closer or in Lander's Meadow? From what I am hearing I should have just gone up Bright Star and come back up, all the hills in the Dove Springs/ Jawbone Area are either illegal, easy, or large and sandy. Im itching to ride up in the Piutes though ( I have been reading all of the horror stories, sounds like fun). How is the weather there in the summer? My dad isn't willing to ride if it's too hot and to tell you the truth, I don't complain too much, as long as we get to go to Kennedy Meadows.