Sign in to follow this  

Hot Start Update

So in my last thread I mentioned I could not pull my hot start in. After digging into it this evening I found that the inside of the carb where the spring sits giving the hot start lever it's "spring back Action" was totally corroded and seized.:thumbsup: After soaking it with some break free, I hit more bad luck and broke one of the tangs off that hold the end of the cable in the carb:foul: so now the hot start really doesn't work. Is it possibly to replace that part inside the carb that the cable connects to?

This is also a good heads up to everyone else, the bike is an 08 model with low hours, be careful not to get a bunch of water and mud in the connection point where the hot start cable enters the carb, if you do make sure to clean it out and apply some anti-corrosion spray...

Allright, so what is the pre-emptive fix here? Do a "hot start stuck" search on just about any forum and you get tons of people saying the same thing. Outside of a good lube from time to time, I have not seen any good permanent fixes for this. Do the CNC aluminum hot starts improve this at all?

Allright, so what is the pre-emptive fix here? Do a "hot start stuck" search on just about any forum and you get tons of people saying the same thing. Outside of a good lube from time to time, I have not seen any good permanent fixes for this. Do the CNC aluminum hot starts improve this at all?

I'm guessing aluminum on aluminum would be better than brass on aluminum. You won't get dissimilar metal corrosion with al. on al.

Yes the CNC alu fitting makes it much better, but you have to grease up the spring anyway... Do that and it will work for a long time... But be sure to pull it out once in a while anyway.

Use grease instead of light lube...

TMBHSN.jpg

Yes, this is an issue with all FCR carb'ed 4-strokes (ie: CRF, YZF, RMZ, KXF, KTM, etc.) Get a small eazy-out from an auto parts store, drill the little brass plunger and pull it out. You'll need to buy a new plunger, I think they're under 10 bucks from Kawi.

mine sticks too.....but with a couple flicks of the hot start it goes back to closed.....

its only going to get worse. im going to get one of the aluminum pieces and try that.

Thanks!