Neck brace?

Any suggestions on a neck brace? I'm new to dirt bikes, have been riding on the street for a long time. Got my first bike at 12. I suffered a broken vertebrae last year when another bike locked-up and rear-ended me.? My wife said something about dumpin' my 'dumb-ass in a nursing home' if I break my neck. :ride: So I've gotta keep it intact. I use 661 body armor. Any problems rotating and looking over the shoulder with a neck brace? I'd appreciate any review / opinion.

Thanks

I personally don't know much about them, but if nobody replies I'm sure you can find a lot of information about it by searching. If you have a local shop and they have one I would suggest try it on there and see how you like it. But the only braces I know about are the Leatt brace about $150-800, the EVS brace about $150, and the Alpinestars brace is around $600 I think.

?

Leatt Brace about $400. Well worth the price. EVS makes a comparable one that is under $200. I personally will not ride without my Leatt. Remeber these will not prevent neck injuries just minimize the risk.

Sometime soon they are coming out with a new one that is around $150-$200.

Do a search on the leatt brace there is more info on this than you can read in a day. Basically you have only a few options, a neck roll or similar or a leatt brace. one popular roll type is from progressive cycle safety. I have worn it and thought it may have helped on a sideways landing from an 85 foot jump. Then there are the "neck nut" style foam collars that velcro or attach to your chest protector or simply wrap around the neck and velcro together. Evs seems to have the latest designs in this catagory. There are several companies making them. If you go to a larger race you will see about 80 percent or better of riders who wear neck protection are in the leatt. I really think mine helped this past weekend when I crashed in the whoops, damaging my ribs and knee, but my neck was only very sore on one side, I hate to think about what may have happend had it overextended too far.

Now there is a huge debate over the possiblity of the leatt causing collarbone fractures, but Ill normally accept a risk of that nature in the hopes of protecting the spinal cord. I feel its$395 well spent.?

• 1 month later...

Got a question myself on these, are neck rolls a good in-between, or should you really fork out for the Leatt or equiv? The price difference (eg $30 for a roll) seems huge, yet the functionality would be similar yeah? (I realise the answer to that is no, but what I mean is at least the roll is better than nothing....).

Also, I'm just back into dirt bikes from road bikes, I'm wondering why these don't seem to be used on road, just on dirt?

One more non-neck brace question but on protection, would you guys recommend the standard body armour, or the pressure suits? Seems to me the pressure suits would do everything and more, yet I see so many of the standard style ones and wonder why that is. Cheers.

My riding buddy calls me "Lawn Dart" since I always end up wrecking head first. I have the Leatt and the only time I even notice it is when I have to look behind me. I don't wear it when putting around with my 8 year old son because it is a pain to try and look behind you. I think you will have that issue with any of the top end braces, but who knows for sure since the Leatt is the only one out.

One more non-neck brace question but on protection, would you guys recommend the standard body armour, or the pressure suits? Seems to me the pressure suits would do everything and more, yet I see so many of the standard style ones and wonder why that is. Cheers.

The RXR offers the best level of protection of any chest protector on the market. The new ones are also designed to work with the Leatt brace.

Also, I'm just back into dirt bikes from road bikes, I'm wondering why these don't seem to be used on road, just on dirt?

because dirt bikes have higher risks to the neck than road bikes.

for example.. usually when you crash on a road bike, either a car doesn't see you and knocks you over or blindsides you and you go flying. Usually dead. The odds of the latter are much less than the risks on a dirtbike...

On a dirtbike out on a track, you could have things go wrong on every single obstacle out there.

You could loop out in the whoops and endo, causing a face-first crash with the risk of hyperextension.

you could case a 45 foot double and go over the bars causing a face-first crash.

You could whip it in the air, get completely sideways and not be able to bring it back causing whiplash to the side.

You could goon it off the start and get into a wheelie and hurt your neck.

there are so many scenarios that could play out for the worst in motocross. Just casual street riding doesn't have the same risks. It would be different if it was Moto GP or something where you're always going 150+ mph all the time but the risks are still higher in motocross.