Sign in to follow this  

I went retro, 2005 YZ 250

Here's my 2005 YZ250,

jan08319.jpg

jan08318.jpg

jan08317.jpg

jan08316.jpg

I got the inspiration for the retro kit from MXJosh's bike. Thanks Josh!

I tore the bike down right to the frame, re greased everything, new top end (Wiseco single ring piston and titanium coated ring), Clarke 3.1 gallon tank(WR petcock), UFO plastics kit, sandblasted and repainted my pipe, Bridgestone 404 on the back, 601 on the front, Vortex 50 tooth rear, renthal o-ring chain, and a Rekluse clutch I bought used off TT classifieds that I haven't installed yet.

I built my own step seat using info from a very good post I found here on TT. I love the step and will use one on every seat from now on.

I've gone out on a couple rides so far and I'm very happy with the way the bike performs this year.

I would like to thank everyone who posts, I had to use the search feature a couple of times during the rebuild to get it back together and I found all the info I needed.

Anyone every end up with one bolt that you can't remember where it went, search your bike over and then decided oh well I guess my bike didn't really need that bolt?

I had one and when I went to put in my anti-freeze(engine ice) it came pouring out all over the floor. I then remembered why that little bolt had a copper washer on it!

it looks good with that new kit on it. if you dont mind how much did the retro kit cost ive been looking into one.

I paid about $65 on Worldwide MX's site but I think it's been discontinued. You may still be able to find it on Ebay. The kit is made by FLU designs.

Looks good man.. I've been wanting to do that with my pipe when I get my new one. Did you do it your self or did you take it in? & is it powder coated?

Wondering what it is I need to do..

I sandblasted it myself in a buddies cabinet and painted the pipe with VHT high temp paint. Turned out very nice but it's dirt stained already. I would like to try ceramic coating on my next pipe.

how does the single ti-ring perform compared to stock?

The bike goes so well this year, I don't know if it's the extra tooth on the rear sprocket or the fact that the entire bike is fresh. RC loves the piston combo so I took the advice.

how does the single ti-ring perform compared to stock?

I'd like to know as well... let us know what you think when you get some more time on the bike! This may be the next and last mod that I will do to my 06 (besides the suspension!)

I had just got the bike back together and we were hit with a blizzard about the middle of April!

It was almost all melted by the time I took those pictures.

I was dying to ride and wishing I owned a Ski-doo!

Guys, that single ring wiseco piston, with ti rung, kills it. It revs FAST. It is very light compared to the stock piston. The ti rings appears to outlast a typical single ring. Wiseco's sight says it seals better, but thats difficult to prove on your own.

Even with a flywheel weight, the bike goes through the low end before your ready for it to do so. The effect is pretty cool as you get the best of both worlds....heavy and light flywheel weight at the same time. I am almost afraid to try it with a light weight.

Looks awsome. Don't happen to still have the part number for the single ring piston do you? Just bought two kits on ebay, and by mistake I got one with the single ring. Didn't even know they made them. Part number is 745PS.

Nice lookin bike but I'm doing the opposite with mine. BTW if anyone wants to do the same and has a 1996-2001 YZ, I got some new plastics I'll sell ya. I got a 2002. They won't fit mine and I can't get a refund. Check out the add in the classifieds http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=38256&cat=500 If they don't sell soon, I plan to eBay them this weekend.

Guys, that single ring wiseco piston, with ti rung, kills it. It revs FAST. It is very light compared to the stock piston. The ti rings appears to outlast a typical single ring. Wiseco's sight says it seals better, but thats difficult to prove on your own.

Even with a flywheel weight, the bike goes through the low end before your ready for it to do so. The effect is pretty cool as you get the best of both worlds....heavy and light flywheel weight at the same time. I am almost afraid to try it with a light weight.

would u say that setup would be good for the woods? single ring wiseco piston with the ti ring.

btw i have a 9oz flywheelweight

Very cool! That kit still looks bada$$. I like the step seat too.

Wow. Bike looks great! :thumbsup:

I'd love to make my bike look that good. But one or two trail rides, and it would end up looking like shit!

Well stop crashing then! I've been on 4 trail rides and my bike still looks good.