Sign in to follow this  

Kyb 2006 Shock Shaft Question

I'am currently rebuilding and reshimming an 06 450 shock for a spare and testing purposes.

When I received the shock I was told that the shock was oem,

but the nut and peening showed otherwise. I took the shock to my

local shop to get another set of eyes on this thing. He told me I needed

another shaft because the rebound needle was gone. He said it should be

pretty visible from the top. However, I do see something about an inch or so

down. So can anybody verify this for me? Should the needle be pretty visible? or am I just hosed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, he mentioned that I need to lap the piston, is that correct?

jwaseman

Sorry for the redundant post, I don't know why the forum generated a second post. I edited the original. Also it wouldn't allow me to delete the additional post?

A piece of wire inserted into the rebound hole at the end of he shaft will tell you if the needle is there(it will hit the needle just below the two side ports just below the base plate).. Coat hanger will work. Hmmm is there wire coat hangers any more?:thumbsup:

MRW,

Thanks for replying, I did the coat hanger test and the hanger did stop.

So maybe the guy at the shop was refering to a check valve?

I just read that some shocks have a check valve and to becareful when removing the peening.

I did noticed the holes on the side of the shaft, if I run the rebound clicker in and out should I see the needle move? I'm getting worried because I didn't see any movement.

MRW,

Thanks for replying, I did the coat hanger test and the hanger did stop.

So maybe the guy at the shop was refering to a check valve?

I just read that some shocks have a check valve and to becareful when removing the peening.

I did noticed the holes on the side of the shaft, if I run the rebound clicker in and out should I see the needle move? I'm getting worried because I didn't see any movement.

the needle is pushed by the rebound clicker but can't be pulled by it. normally it's pushed back by the nitrogene pressure in the shock, manually you have to push it back with a drill or coat hanger

I promise you that your shock has no check valve, first of all(at least not in the end of the shock shaft). Now the Showa shocks have a "jet" in the end of the shaft that can fall out if ground improperly(during the nut removal).

Second , the needle only moves maybe 3mm. If you want to check it`s operation you will need to turn the rebound adjuster clockwise untill it stops. Next , turn the rebound adjuster all the way counter clockwise till it stops.

Now, insert the "Wire"(hanger sounds bad,low tech) and push downward, you will feel the wire travel about 3mm and then a click when the needle bottoms out. If this checks out you are fne.:thumbsup:

I`ve seen the KYB`s blow the o-ring out at the very end of the rebound needle down by the lower shock mount or "clevis". Other than that you shock is bombproof:thumbsup:

Blowing compresed air through the rebound adjuster circuit also works well.

good luck

Thanks to all that replied and gave advice.

I checked the rebound needle with a piece of wire like MRW

suggested and everything seems to be ok.

Just to be clear, on an 06 KYB shaft there are no cups or needle seats of

any kind at the tip of the shaft, correct?

Correct. Just a clear hole down to the rebound needle`s pointed tip.

MRW,

Thanks again for replying and helping me through this. I just about filed a

complaint with our famous auction site about the seller. So I'm glad I cross

referenced the local shop and saved a lot of hassle. Again, many thanks

to all that posted.

Jwaseman