Tranny oil...

hello,

mega noob question.

Where is the measurement for how much tranny oil goes in...

the cap has no dipstick..

Thanks

Baleric

I think it is 750 ml. the way the book tells you to do it is to remove the level verification screw on the forward part of the eng case below the water pump and fill til oil drains from that point. I fill mine with 800 ml becuase there have been some issues with the clutch ( on the 450's) not getting suficient oil, so I figure a little extra wont hurt. Some even put a full quart (946 ml).

The first mod that was suggested to me by the most knowledgeable people on this forum was to put a full quart in the transmission of the x.

This helps a potential oil starvation of the 3rd and 5th gears.

There was a change in the 2006 and newer models to help channel oil to these gears, but 1 quart still does not hurt.

Enjoy your new bike

Biwwy2000

I don't use the level screw or the fill hole at all.

The level screw is too easy to strip out and the fill hole is too small and not in a good location. The one on the R is much better.

With the bike on the kick stand.

Drain the transmission and put the drain bolt back in. Torque it per the manual.

Take the timing cover off. It is the round cover just in front of the clutch cover on the right side.

Pour a quart, or in your case a liter, into the cover hole. You can tip the bike up at this point to check the oil level. It should be below the timing cover hole and above the level screw. You can see it easy through the timing cover hole. If it is the correct level, then put the timing cover back on and you are ready to go.