Sign in to follow this  

is it worth PAYING for?

I know that suspension is DEFINANTLY a must! My question is that can I shim the valves and what not in my garage on my own?? I have an 06 rmz 250 and i've replaced fork seals on this and a ton of other bikes...so I have a LITTLE suspension experience but not too much...I've also been told that the stock springs and valves are actually really good quality compared to hondas stock ones and that I could use the stock ones for my weight...about 155. what do you think?? i just dont have $500 to pay someone else to do it...

Call around, talk to the reps at some of the major suspension shops, they may be able to help you. If you just need a revalve, factory connection list's it for 180 labor plus parts. Im sure there are cheaper, but thats what I have on my bike, and I highly recommend them to anyone.

Doing your own valving is pretty simple (thats why there is a gazillion suspension shops), there is just a LOT of trial and error in getting it tuned right. But you will get it much more tuned to your personal liking instead of the same basic shim stacks that FC, RG3, PC, etc gives everyone. Also getting a hold of some shims might be a bit difficult.

we did the valves ourself it is not hard, just follow the manual and google it many places have videos etc.

what kind of valves did you use? i have been looking around and found that the race tech gold valves come with shims and instructions......

since we had to do the head and all, we had a nasty blowup by the way, i just used the oem valves but we put on hot cams and i have about 30 hours on since and the valves i check almost every other time i ride have been dead on each time.

since we had to do the head and all, we had a nasty blowup by the way, i just used the oem valves but we put on hot cams and i have about 30 hours on since and the valves i check almost every other time i ride have been dead on each time.

nice i was talking about the valves in the forks tho haha! are you happy with the hot cam though? i was looking into those too...

Doing your own valving is pretty simple (thats why there is a gazillion suspension shops), there is just a LOT of trial and error in getting it tuned right. But you will get it much more tuned to your personal liking instead of the same basic shim stacks that FC, RG3, PC, etc gives everyone. Also getting a hold of some shims might be a bit difficult.

i'm assuming you have done your own since you said its easy lol...where did you get shims?

i'm assuming you have done your own since you said its easy lol...where did you get shims?

my father owns a shop, we get them in large bulk. :thumbsup:

Instead of another thread maybe someone lurking in here can answer. I am in the same boat. I weigh about 185 and am barely a B class rider. I was checking into Racetech as I can get springs and valves for under $300 or I could have a hook up get me any of the major suspension companies do my whole setup for $400-450ish. I would like to spend as little as possible, but I know from road racing that $$$$ in suspension is where its at. On streetbikes racetech doesnt cut it for me as I ride pro expert(big $$$ ohlins cartridges and shock at least). Looking at Racetech site they say I should be fine with stock springs, but I have read the stock springs are not what suzuki rates them at i.e. to soft. I bottom of any hard landing and it doesnt soak up braking or accel bumps for crap. So do I need springs and valving, just springs, just valving, go all out Pro Circuit like for ~$450. Whatchu guys think? Post in suspension forum?