Battery or...Stator?

Hey everyone, this seems like a silly question but i really cant think of how to tell, SO here goes:

i had the battery on the bike till about half way through winter and then brought it indoors and put it on the charger and it was acting very strange, like it would say its not connected, then a second later it would be fully charged, then back and forth, but once summer came i put it back in anyway and the bike started up ok, and so i have been riding around a bunch and just this last weekend the bike seems to not want to start up, even after riding a long ways it does not charge up all the way. and sometimes does not have enough juice to start the bike, but my question now is, how can i check to see if its really the battery or if i have a problem with the...stator?(if thats the thing on the bike that charges the battery) what is an easy way to check? thanks all.

P.S. i just ordered the kick start kit, no more roll starting it...

shoot... i knew it would end up being in FAQ, i should have looked harder! thanks for the link!

Check the voltage across the battery at 5 and when revving

It should stay above 13.5V - below this and you have a stator issue or reg/rec problem

to do this test you need a fully charged battery though (above 12.6 with no load ie off the bike)

Check the voltage across the battery at 5

5? why not 5:15 or even 7:30 :thumbsup:

and when revving

It should stay above 13.5V - below this and you have a stator issue or reg/rec problem

to do this test you need a fully charged battery though (above 12.6 with no load ie off the bike)

Ok seriously.. I really recommend you follow the WHOLE diagnostic procedure in the FAQ write up.

While I agree with Graham that if you have low voltage at the battery while the motor is turning at 3 k or so,, It could be more then just the Stator.. You may find it's just a burned / corroded plug in the wiring harness (common fault) It may be a internally shorted battery. It may be a bad ground at the motor.. Point is.. electrical diagnostic work is very hard to do if you do not follow a very specific ,pattern of checking.

dunno why i type 5 instead of idle

Brain Fade probably

I agee - you must be methodical in the approcah to finding the porblem. I was just being very general

The guide in the FAQ is very good, and will help you alot

I'll bet money it's your battery bud. I live in edmonton, I see you're from Alberta as well, and had the exact same problem this spring. Bought a new battery from alberta cycle (they're not cheap I know) and haven't had a problem since.

I won't make the mistake of leaving it in -40 again!!!!!