Sign in to follow this  

street legal motard search is over :(

well as most know, NCC was going to build me a bad ass x4, 177gpx with v2 head and 28mm carb etc.........

well me and NCC had a priced figured and everything but in the past week and half i have showing pictures of the bike to various inspection stations explaing the whole ordeal and china bike deal. i went to 11 local inspection stations. NO ONE and i mean no one wanted to deal with it and all said it wont pass. they pointed out that the plastic tank, rear fender extension, wont pass right off the bat, they also mentioned that on china bikes there wont be any measurements for thinness of rotors stamped on them, and or DOT stamps on headlight, taillight and signals. Same with tires, mirros, and sound requirements.

i even offerd to drop an extra 300 bux at the inspectors feet and walk away like i didnt see it. a few guys said they would love to do it that way but with new strict MD laws and all the new motorcyclist on the road in MD, the state police are getting extremely strict with inspection paperwork.

one guy said hey ill over look the mirror issue, tire issue, healight and turnsignal issue but i cant ignore the plastic tank, rear fender extension, exhaust, and rotor measurment stamp.

i am not gonna lie, i am so bummed i cannot find anyone to deal with this inspection. here in MD there getting way strict with new laws past last year.

NCC went out of his way with phone calls, and PMs to help me out with anything and everything. if anyone can get by the inspection by all means DO ITTTTTTT, NCC will build it the way YOU want it too.

also progressive and gieco quoted me 130$ a year on the x4 motard. just gotta classify it as "other import" or "Nebraska custom"

Sign of the times... welcome to the nanny state.

Damn deputy that sucks man, I know you really wanted one of those bikes. So I guess they are now only 49 state legal then?

actually they are mistaken on many fronts, first off my NCC bikes do have dot mirrors and dot tires, the gas tanks also have a non evaporative metalic inner coating that is approved, the lights all meet

dot requirments, the NCC bikes we build also carry the DOT sticker stating the the vehicle meet or exceeds federal hiway safety standards, meaning the components used collectively meet the minimum asked by the DOT.By looking at a picture it is impossible for them to say what is actually on the bike ans how dim or bright the lights are etc.

Oh well, at least you didn't already spend the cash and then learn that it isn't streetable!:thumbsup: You know, those new street legal DRZ SM's do look pretty nice. If I didn't have so many irons in the fire, I would be looking into one of those.

actually they are mistaken on many fronts, first off my NCC bikes do have dot mirrors and dot tires, the gas tanks also have a non evaporative metalic inner coating that is approved, the lights all meet

dot requirments, the NCC bikes we build also carry the DOT sticker stating the the vehicle meet or exceeds federal hiway safety standards, meaning the components used collectively meet the minimum asked by the DOT.By looking at a picture it is impossible for them to say what is actually on the bike ans how dim or bright the lights are etc.

Wait, you posted while I was typing. Maybe there is hope for this project then!:thumbsup:

Hey Dep,

I dont think you realize that NCC is a Custom Bike/Chopper Shop and are Gods Gift to the motorcycle world....they are a motorcycle shop before a pit bike dealer....:ride:

They Build Custom Bobbers, Choppers ect ect and are Licenced to do so and have all the Proper paperwork, and rights to tag any frame with the proper numbers required to put it on the road in every State.

Ive seen this process many times with Discovery Channels Custom Bike Builder Dave Perewitz

the bike they will build you will be accepted in all 50 States and comes equipped with everything DOT Approved with all the proper paperwork NO State Inspection station can refuse. Massachusetts is one of the tuffest states for Motorcycles and Cares Second to California and with Proper Paperwork its Golden

Guarentee It...:thumbsup:

p50 the drz and xr on/off road are metal tanks. i use to have those bikes, but yea NCC let me call back these inspectors and e the bike will have all DOT approvals!!!!!!! theres hope just yet!!!!!!

p50 the drz and xr on/off road are metal tanks. i use to have those bikes, but yea NCC let me call back these inspectors and e the bike will have all DOT approvals!!!!!!! theres hope just yet!!!!!!

the XR 600 that a buddy of mine has registered for the road is a Plastic tank (Factory) the 07' KTM 620 or what ever it is is Plastic tank (factory) and it is on the road.

as long as you have the proper paper work there is should be no question..:thumbsup:

o i am talking about the road worthy ones from the factory, some states including MD require a metal tank.

xr650l, drz400s/sm, tw200, xt225, dr650, dr200, and those types of road worthy oem bikes all have metal tanks. some inspectors said they will over look small things but the main things these troopers know about around here they wont, like metal tanks, rear fender extensions, etc... you know the obvious.

ill let yall know what these inspectors say when i call them back...

I think if you buy it from NCC it is technically considered a one off custom bike...not a Chinese bike...and therefore it would have all the paperwork from them stating that it's completely legit to be ridden on the street.

The hard part might end up being insuring it in your state...as when I was thinking about doing this I couldn't find anyone in Michigan that would insure one...and the one's that would wanted outrageous money just for liability.

The inspectors telling you it wouldn't pass would be like them telling you that one of Jesse James' bikes or any other one off custom wouldn't pass. It's BS.

How about having them call ncc themselves & speak directly to the builder,he could provide any paperwork via fax & talk rings around them since he's in the business of making bikes road legal.His out of state area code should be some proof that your buddy down the street isn't trying to pull a fast one,plus his certificates of legality from his state can't be argued.

As we all know.....

There's a lot of people out there who are not trained enough to preform the job they applied for,nor are a lot of them caring enough to make sure they're right,just take a look at most politicians.:thumbsup:

I think if you buy it from NCC it is technically considered a one off custom bike...not a Chinese bike...and therefore it would have all the paperwork from them stating that it's completely legit to be ridden on the street.

The hard part might end up being insuring it in your state...as when I was thinking about doing this I couldn't find anyone in Michigan that would insure one...and the one's that would wanted outrageous money just for liability.

The inspectors telling you it wouldn't pass would be like them telling you that one of Jesse James' bikes or any other one off custom wouldn't pass. It's BS.

100% agree

my insurance company says any independant agents in michigan , will write coverage,NCC bikes are not custom construction ,or special construction, they are considered ,manufactured, just like Harley, Honda,etc.If your agent cannot find coverage, they are not a very good agent.

Also my WDI is a world manufacturer identifier number not jusy my state.

well i have no issues insuring it, already got many qoutes from many other companies/agents. but my inspectors within a 3 or 4 mile radius wont pass the bike. even with all the correct paper work from NCC, ill try to contact more and see what they say if i can put them in direct contact with ncccccccccc

Triumph Daytona and Speed Triple, Moto Guzzi sport all have plastic tanks made by Acerbis. Could you buy and title the bike in Nebraska and do a registration transfer to your state?

Deputy Perk is right on the money with this whole inspection thing. In MD its hard to get a custom chopper to pass inspection sometimes. Deputy i would find a custom builder to do the inspection. I have seen in the past where a lot of times the guys who build them can also inspect them. Since i move to the good old state of md the dmv is a cluster F***. Over price and just rude people. Now go to VA and you can license a 2stroke full on dirtbike with some lights added. Deputy where in MD are you maybe i can help you out?