Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain tensioner backing off...

Hello, my first post here but i've been lurking for a couple of weeks. I'm in the UK and have just bought myself a 2000 DRZ 400 E. It is road legal (just!) and has been great fun, right up until yesterday. It suddenly appeared to stall as i was slowing to a stop and then wouldn't start. It still turns over smoothly but will give a nasty backfire occassionally as I try to start it.

A friend of mine came round and checked the timing... it was out by 1 tooth. He reset it all and tried to restart the bike but it jumped a tooth again as it tried to start.

From what i've read and from what happened, i'm thinking the cam chain tensioner has either failed or is backin off just enough to allow the chain to jump. Would this be about right?

I'm struggling to find a manual cam chain tensioner here in the UK. Even Ebay has none! I've seen the tensioner in the TT store. They'll deliver to the UK ok wont they?

Help!

Cannot say for sure but your daignosis may be correct or the cam sprockest/chain is very worn and needs replacing.

The guru's here will sort you out very quickly.

Yes TT will deliver it right to your doorstep....well, not TT actually but Fedex or similar.

great, thank you.. The chain looked ok once it was reset. I'm hoping it's just the tensioner although it could be worth suggesting a new chain to my bike fixing mate!

Thank you for the offer, but i'd prefer to find a manual tensioner really. Seems like a popular upgrade and well worth it, if it can avoid this kind of problem

Remember that if the stock tensioner is all the way in and still does not provide enough tension, the MCCT will not fix the problem. You need a new chain and an MCCT. Check the tension and ACCT and let us know. :thumbsup:

Hello, my first post here but i've been lurking for a couple of weeks. I'm in the UK and have just bought myself a 2000 DRZ 400 E. It is road legal (just!) and has been great fun, right up until yesterday. It suddenly appeared to stall as i was slowing to a stop and then wouldn't start. It still turns over smoothly but will give a nasty backfire occassionally as I try to start it.

A friend of mine came round and checked the timing... it was out by 1 tooth. He reset it all and tried to restart the bike but it jumped a tooth again as it tried to start.

From what i've read and from what happened, i'm thinking the cam chain tensioner has either failed or is backin off just enough to allow the chain to jump. Would this be about right?

I'm struggling to find a manual cam chain tensioner here in the UK. Even Ebay has none! I've seen the tensioner in the TT store. They'll deliver to the UK ok wont they?

Help!

Hey there.

First let me say welcome.

Second, man that sucks your new DRZ has already had some issues.

Third.... I think you’re going to find more than just a worn ACCT has gone wrong.

You need to check the primary nut. You need to look and see how far the ACCT is extending once it is set. If all or most the way you need to replace the cam chain. If the primary nut is loose, if it really did "jump a tooth" in timing. It's likely you bent a valve. The DRZ is an interference design motor. If the cams and crank are out of time, the piston hits the valves. The deal is, you can slightly bend a valve, and it will still start, though run like crap.. keep running it trying to figure it out,, and your likely to have the two piece OEM valve become two pieces again. A leak down test is the preferred diagnostic test to see if you bent a valve and it is no longer sealing. If that is not something you have access to, you could pull the head. If the valves are fine,, you’re out a head gasket (no need to pull the cylinder) and an hour of your time.

blimey... not sounding too good then :thumbsup: I'm going to leave it in the hands of my mate as he knows what he's doing. I know the basics but fiddling with timing and stuff is like black magic to me!

I'm in Cheshire

The cam chain tensioner's from the older DRZ's are notorious for breaking. The spring can break and cause the tensioner to fail. Mine broke but did not cause any serious problems except cut my trip short. I went to a manual style, which is entirely reliable.

good.. i'm hoping this hasn't done any serious damage. My mate took a look at it when i got home and turned it over by hand once the cam chain had been set up correctly. Everything worked smoothly. It was only when trying again with the electric starter that it jumped again. Still turned over again by hand ok.

Hoping to find a manual tensioner here in the UK but, if not, i'll order the TT store one. Bank Holiday weekend here too which doesn't help! everywhere's closed!

Mark,

TT store is a great service but it's our Post Office that stitch you up when the goods arrive in the UK. There's an 'admin fee' of about £14 just for the privilige of them paying the duty to C&E:foul: .

I was warned so had a think about everything I might need and ordered it all at once so only paid once.

I suppose the answer would be if you knew someone travelling from the US get them to bring it and just pay the duty at the airport.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mark.

Can't you guys in the UK get personal packages duty free? I'm sure someone over here could send one to you. c good

blimey... not sounding too good then :thumbsup: I'm going to leave it in the hands of my mate as he knows what he's doing. I know the basics but fiddling with timing and stuff is like black magic to me!

I'm in Cheshire

thats a bit too far for me to help, as I'm in Worcs - sorry

thats a bit too far for me to help, as I'm in Worcs - sorry

just got back froma weekend away and can't seem to source a manual tensioner over here. A mate of mine in the know can't get hold of one either. Looks like i'll have to go with the TT store once and pay the duty.. annoying but i'd prefer to have the bike running for the sake of £14 or so.

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how i get on

got my shiny new tensioner from the TT store and a mate of mine is fitting it for me later today. I'm stuck in work at the moment and just hoping he manages to do it ok and there are no other issues

got my shiny new tensioner from the TT store and a mate of mine is fitting it for me later today. I'm stuck in work at the moment and just hoping he manages to do it ok and there are no other issues

hi mark, had a very similar thing happen to me the other day. bike stalled while going real slow. something i'd expect from an rm or rmz but not the drz. i started it up again and it rode fine for another 10 min then when i slowed down to stop the bike started to make a real loud tapping. so i turned it off . got it back home and apart and looked down the chain tunnel to see the ACCT had retracted, causing a very slack cam chain. im curious to know how you got on, whether there were other parts damaged etc or were tyou lucky enough to get away with just replacing the ACCT and new chain. if yoy did the chain, is there much involved with the procedure??. cheers zoominz

Obviously you know you need a new cam chain tensioner.. I highly recommend you check the cam timing now while you’re waiting on a new MCCT. No reason to wait and find out later the cams are out of time. If they are not timed correctly, fix, and then do a leak down check, or have it done at your local shop. If your leaking anything from the vales,, the head needs to come off to inspect the valves. Bottom line.. High percentage of leakage at the valves + cams mistimed= 99.99% chance the valves made contact with the piston.

Cams not mistimed= Good to go, install that new MCCT and go ride.

Oh and, this thread is more then a year old.. OP has not been on line in a long time.. :busted:

Last Activity: 11-17-2008 07:03 PM so I would not wait around for him to answer...

hi mark, had a very similar thing happen to me the other day. bike stalled while going real slow. something i'd expect from an rm or rmz but not the drz. i started it up again and it rode fine for another 10 min then when i slowed down to stop the bike started to make a real loud tapping. so i turned it off . got it back home and apart and looked down the chain tunnel to see the ACCT had retracted, causing a very slack cam chain. im curious to know how you got on, whether there were other parts damaged etc or were tyou lucky enough to get away with just replacing the ACCT and new chain. if yoy did the chain, is there much involved with the procedure??. cheers zoominz