Husky Hollister Hills ride report-Single Track

I just got back from a kickass ride at Hollister Hills OHV area in Hollister California.. on Tuesday night once again being the only Husky anyhere in sight... I got a lot of looks from the KTM 2S Cult that must live on the mountain though..... those dudes are everywhere.....

We rode all new single track that has only been open for three weeks or so.... supposedly 2300 acres of new trails.....

I have a new found appreciation for tree riding and single track on the side of mountains....my TC450 performed very well and ran flawlessly. I put on my Procircuit 96 DB tip for this OHV area ride and found a dramatic decrease in off the line power as compared to my open closed course competion race tip but that may have been a blessing in some ways.... the 450 may be to much for this tight woodsy single track.... I can see where a TC250 would be incredible or even better a CR125... and Maxxis Desert IT's.... maybe not the best tires to have on...

We primarily rode these two trails in the new open area:

The WindMill - fun rollercoaster ride through low hanging oaks with sudden sharp twisty turns and offcamber stuff that will absolutely dump you off into no-mans land.... rarely did I get out of first gear and I quickly discovered that brakes are really not a good idea on a lot of this stuff....technique is where speed comes from in this stuff... I ate tree branches , leaves and dirt and managed to launch myself over the bars several times trying to keep up with three guys that ride this stuff about once a week..... I barely made it out without any broken bones and had an empty Camel back....That being said... I love it.....

The Fence Line - this trail follows the perimeter of the new area and is long and fun. Great combination of some technical offcamber stuff....loose and sketchy soil with a lot of leaves and decaying crap on the forest floor that virtually removes any resemblance of traction..I ate it hard once on a pitching off camber right hander that appeared out of nowhere and still have a bruise on my left ass cheek of all places and a sore left shoulder and deltoid... the Leatt however worked very well and did not impede my movement while riding single track....

This was by far better than any single track Mt Biking I have ever done...

I have a new found appreciation for Ride and other Northwest / eastern guys that post up about single track riding.

I for one would be interested in hearing some detail about techniques of riding (specifically Husky's - they are not CRFs) in this kind of technical , steep, sketchy, single track from some of you Husky guys.... it is some great stuff...

Ride - or anyone.... what is the best way to ride the steep downhill off camber stuff without launching yourself off into no mans land....? I found that the best thing for me was to always stand, rarely use brakes and power through everything regardless of down hill or up hill...... and tell myself... Duck!... those ffn branches hurt when you clothesline yourself.....

I only have pics from my disposable 24 shot camera .....and it still has 23 shots left.... how you guys find time for pictures while riding this sh....t is beyond me.....

T

The new singletrack out there is great!

A few pics from my last ride a couple of weeks ago, no

Husky for me yet but give me a year!!!:thumbsup:

Think this is the "beehive trail"

P5090024.jpg

P5090020.jpg

P5090021.jpg

and these are the "Faultline" trail

P5090008.jpg

P5090006.jpg

P5090004.jpg

looking back towards the trails on the lower ranch

P5090007.jpg

T , join the crew for a SD ride soon!! the technicals will not be as long as far as sections go, but will pose mucho hazard/challenge to the unintiated. keep in touch.

Ride - or anyone.... what is the best way to ride the steep downhill off camber stuff without launching yourself off into no mans land....?

T

Great report laddy! :ride: Wish I was there man...:bonk:

My advice/technique? Practice! and..Stand (never ever sit on downhills), get back, dont abuse the front brake, lean bike into hill some and weight outer peg. If theres super big rollers or water bars on same I'll fade/pull in the clutch over em so as not to buck me off and maintain my line........ and as always, when in doubt-

GAS IT!

:thumbsup:

words to live by.

Not necessarily the best approach when negotiating an off camber button hook in a steep downhill section on the edge of a mountain.

Ride - or anyone.... what is the best way to ride the steep downhill off camber stuff without launching yourself off into no mans land....?...

Trials tires are my 'crutch'. They really stick to that dry grass & hardpack.

Sounds like You had fun!!

My only single track ride was in Kennedy Meadows, what a learning experience. My ride was interupted by an encounter with a tree, which moved things on the bars around a bit and lacking the tools needed to make temp repairs, I limped it back to camp. Was to sore to go back out the next day. I too learned to stand as much as possible, but the low trees make that difficult.

Glad You had a good time :thumbsup:

Not necessarily the best approach when negotiating an off camber button hook in a steep downhill section on the edge of a mountain.

Sez you.......

Flick it over and gas it....beats ridin' the front brake :thumbsup:

Trials tires are my 'crutch'. They really stick to that dry grass & hardpack.

So True Coffee... the flatter wide open rolling stuff is great to rail but the offcamber dowhill buttonhook type stuff is what kept getting me.... after a while I learned to get up , get back and keep my legs on the pegs and roll everything

Maxis desert IT would not be my tire of choice again here......

T

Sez you.......

Flick it over and gas it....beats ridin' the front brake :thumbsup:

Actually I think you are both right here..... I quickly learned to only use the front brake when absolutely sure of what the hell I was doing..... the first hour was the worst until I started picking up on the finer techniques...

But some of them are so damn steep and sketchy that there was now way in hell I was going to full power through.

T

The new singletrack out there is great!

A few pics from my last ride a couple of weeks ago, no

Husky for me yet but give me a year!!!:thumbsup:

Think this is the "beehive trail"

P5090024.jpg

P5090020.jpg

P5090021.jpg

and these are the "Faultline" trail

P5090008.jpg

P5090006.jpg

P5090004.jpg

looking back towards the trails on the lower ranch

P5090007.jpg

thanks for posting up images.....:ride::bonk: it is truly a beautiful place to ride... your pictures do no justice to some of the steep single track we were actually riding.....+ I know what you had to ride through to get to those scenic take a picture spots!!!!!! and I know that the camera has flattened out alot in these images.... These three guys took me into some rough stuff out there on some of those steeper hills while cutting switchbacks..... my favorite was the first half of the windmill!

T

Glad to hear you liked the singletrack. I normally ride in the desert down here but go to Colorado and Mammoth at least once a year. We ride in stuff like 'Ride' and the NW Husky crew always write about. It's absolutely my favorite stuff....and the reason I'm moving to Colorado in 7 years!!

I know exactly what you mean about the photos. I'm aways having too much fun to stop and take photos, then at the end of the day it dawns on me that I didn't take any. I always say tomorrow or next time and still never do it.

I'll be up in Mammoth in July. I'll try and remember to take a lot of pics. I go up there a lot but have only ridden my mountain bike and road bike, not yet the TE 250. Looking forward to it, even if I'm by myself. Got a GPs and a cell phone...should be OK...

So True Coffee... the flatter wide open rolling stuff is great to rail but the offcamber dowhill buttonhook type stuff is what kept getting me.... after a while I learned to get up , get back and keep my legs on the pegs and roll everything

Maxis desert IT would not be my tire of choice again here......

T

Sounds like you had fun though :thumbsup:

I rode those new trails last week, I loved Fence line :thumbsup::ride:

I'm going tommorow and I was wondering if I'll be fine? I've done over most of the trails at holister. I'll be riding a wr 250f? Should I just take it easy and go through all of it first?

I'm going tommorow and I was wondering if I'll be fine? I've done over most of the trails at holister. I'll be riding a wr 250f? Should I just take it easy and go through all of it first?

Just go and have a blast.... A WR 250 would be incredible in here!

T