correct spring rate

I ride an 03 CRF450 and have finally decided to go with heavier fork and shock springs. I weigh 250 without gear. On the track i like to jump but even the small jumps really beat me up so i do alot less than i would like. What spring rate should i use front and rear. I have the manual but at my weight i still don't know if the next heavier spring rate is enough.

Perhaps a .50 rate for the forks, and a 6.0 rate for the shock will help you out.

I don't know what your level of riding happens to be, but the fact that the small jumps are "beating you up", leads me to believe that you may have a clicker issue as well. There is no doubt, however, that at your weight you could use heavier springs.

The local dealer has been telling me that the standard springs are plenty strong enough, but i keep reading that weaker springs actually let you sink farther in the travel where the spring is stiffer. They keep telling me to just adjust the fork oil amount. As far as my level of riding is there anything below novice. :thumbsup: I definitely need to learn more about adjusting with the clickers but figured it would be a waste of time until I had the proper springs. Thanks for the reply. Ed

If you are truly a beginner, it's possible that you could get away w/ the stock springs for the very near future. However, if you're spending time on the track, as opposed to casual trail riding, the springs will prove to be a sound investment. You are substantially heavier than the intended range for the stock springs.

If you're the kind of guy who likes to tinker, search the forum for clicker set-up, and you should be able to come up w/ a workable compromise.

If you are truly a beginner, it's possible that you could get away w/ the stock springs for the very near future. However, if you're spending time on the track, as opposed to casual trail riding, the springs will prove to be a sound investment. You are substantially heavier than the intended range for the stock springs.

If you're the kind of guy who likes to tinker, search the forum for clicker set-up, and you should be able to come up w/ a workable compromise.

I don't guess i would still qualify as a beginner, just don't get to ride much and would like to be much faster. I rode my son's 04 crf450 at the track yesterday (previous owner said the suspension had been professionally done) and it felt much better in a wide sweeper turn and one off camber turn. I felt much faster on the track. So i will definately have to tinker with the clickers. Ed