Sign in to follow this  

new tires for the sm

So I'm probably gonna get scolded for being so cheap, but sorry I'm not made of money. After reading everyones opinions on tire choices I ended up going with some cheapos. Trust me I would have much rather had the distanzias, pilots, battleaxes, etc, but those things were about $100-$150 outta my price range. So I ended up going with shinkos 120/70, 160/60. They didn't have the 150s. I know there is alot of controversy with the 160, I will let everyone know how the fit and perform. Who knows they may end up being great tire. Oh btw they were $160 shipped brand spankin new.

never ran the shinkos, but thats a good price curious to hear how they hold up

Let us know how well they hold the road with the bike leaned way over! My Pilots are perfect and there is almost no limit to how far you can lean it!!

Well I finally got them on yesterday, and besides the guy not balancing them right, I have no complaints. They look way better and so far handle good. I expect to get atleast 8-9k miles out of these. While I had the back wheel off I went ahead and threw a 38 tooth Vortex sprocket back there. Big difference at 70+ mph, plus the vortex is about half the weight of the stocker.

Well I finally got them on yesterday, and besides the guy not balancing them right, I have no complaints. They look way better and so far handle good. I expect to get atleast 8-9k miles out of these. While I had the back wheel off I went ahead and threw a 38 tooth Vortex sprocket back there. Big difference at 70+ mph, plus the vortex is about half the weight of the stocker.

8-9k.....? dont set your expectations too high.

So I'm probably gonna get scolded for being so cheap, but sorry I'm not made of money. After reading everyones opinions on tire choices I ended up going with some cheapos. Trust me I would have much rather had the distanzias, pilots, battleaxes, etc, but those things were about $100-$150 outta my price range. So I ended up going with shinkos 120/70, 160/60. They didn't have the 150s. I know there is alot of controversy with the 160, I will let everyone know how the fit and perform. Who knows they may end up being great tire. Oh btw they were $160 shipped brand spankin new.

Does the 160 fit without rubbing the chain? Also do you have any pics of your new tires?

8-9k.....? dont set your expectations too high.

They are a fairly hard compound, used on crotch rockets and sport cruisers. I don't think it's that unrealistic. I don't do burnouts or stoppies. I save that for right as I'm about to put on new tires.:thumbsup: I'll be happy to get 7.5k out of them considering they were so cheap.

I'm 15 minutes west of Pensacola, FL. The first town you hit when you hit the AL line.

no kidding... I was all around your area over the Memorial Day weekend... We have some family that have a place in Gulf Shores we visit quite a bit. Some fun riding down there. We always stay out near Ft Morgan during the summer.

no kidding... I was all around your area over the Memorial Day weekend... We have some family that have a place in Gulf Shores we visit quite a bit. Some fun riding down there. We always stay out near Ft Morgan during the summer.

Yeah, it seems everybody knows somebody down here. Everybody wants a free place to stay and be close to the beach. My house gets like a hotel during the spring/summer months. Fine with me, the more the merrier:thumbsup: If you're ever down with your bike hit me up:ride: