Yet another pig tire question?

I have searched thru the threads for a good rear tire as i am new to xr650r i went with the maxxis it maxxcross 120/100/18 i ride hard pack,Rocky alot of rocks,Sand but mostly stuff that is eating my tire its got like 200-250 miles on it and looks almost bad is that normal? should i go with a 140/tire or is there a good tre i can get for her i am considering a kenda trackmaster ii Is that a decent tire? I will be getting it plated in two weeks any info would help :ride::thumbsup:

Dunlop D908 gives good traction in sand and doesn't get eaten on paved roads, pretty long life.

Never tried it on rocks though. I have no problems with road handling.

Haven't tried in wet weather so I can't comment on that.

It's designed for bigger capacity/torquey thumpers, pretty common in rally-raid type races.

Very stiff sidewalls so happily runs at very low pressures, I often take it down to 8psi in sand.

I think rear only comes in one size, a fat 140, which does fit on the 650R.

pics here of tire on the bike http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=10736

d908.jpg

I've been running dunlop 606's in AZ....50/50 pavement/desert...I like them, but am seriously considering the 908's for extended life on pavement.

Looks nice! I am at the point to just try anything until one works but this one sounds really what i want! The guy who sold me the maxxis said it would last a long time LOL I thank you unless a better one shows up on the thread i will go with the 908 Thanks

250 miles on a Maxxis and it's almost done? Never heard that before. Maxxis aren't very good from a competition point of view - spinning instead of grabbing, but they do seem to last forever.

If you decide to give a Maxxis one more chance, try the IT Desert.

250 miles on a Maxxis and it's almost done? Never heard that before. Maxxis aren't very good from a competition point of view - spinning instead of grabbing, but they do seem to last forever.

If you decide to give a Maxxis one more chance, try the IT Desert.

That is what was on it when i got her 90% tread and it wore quick not as fast as this maxxcross though If i am wearing tires more then normal could i have something offset or a problem? i am always in the throttle just love the way she feels:ride: and the 250 mile is a best guess so it could be more or less i also ride about 10% road but only put until i hit dirt

The 908 might last a long time, but I just don't think it will have the best traction off road. I've never tried one so I could be wrong.

No tire lasts a long time on a big bore bike. The torque just eats tires. In my experience the Maxxis is just about the longest lasting dirt tire that I have tried. I used to run Dunlop 756's but I could kill one in a weekend.

As far a widths go, the 140's are not all that much wider than the Maxxis 120's. Overly wide tires don't translate into a larger contact patch. After a certain point it actually gets smaller with a wider tire.

One problem about the 908 is that it is designed for a 3.50 inch rim. If I'm not mistaken your bike has a 2.15 inch rear rim. That pinches the tire.

One problem about the 908 is that it is designed for a 3.50 inch rim. If I'm not mistaken your bike has a 2.15 inch rear rim. That pinches the tire.

Thanks for pointing that out i will look into it. I am trying to save some money by getting someone who knows has experience the wheel is not stock (DID) but i dont know the exact size but i guess i should maybe i should run one more desert it and keep track of exact miles i get mine for 69.00 from a friend and the 908 is 111.00 i dont mind at all to pay more to get more just sucks to throw away money a friend has told me any kenda i will destroy fast he also recomends and runs desert it on his pig I like the 908 but if it will pinch then i guess i will stick with maxxis I thank you all for your input and the ones who took the time to read :thumbsup:

I have both an XR435 and XR600, I use to run the Dunlap 606 on both with good results. I now run the Maxxis Desert IT on both, they hold up really well. There is a big difference between the Cross and Desert tire.

I ride desert with a mix of sand wash, single track,knarly rock, some pavement to connect trails and go into town for gas / lunch. I like the stiff side walls on the Maxxis because I can run any pressure (usually 15 psi) and can ride back to camp on a flat. Last ride I road the last 25 miles of a 175 mile ride on a flat I didn't want to stop to change. The tire was still OK with a new tube.

Riding style has alot to do with how the tire lasts, espectly on a big 600/650. Alot of Baja Racers run the Maxxis Desert IT with good results.

I've run the Maxxis IT, Maxxis Desert IT, and the Dunlop 739 Desert....110/100 and 120/100 can't really tell much difference to be honest....the Pig just chews em up and spits em out behind..... Only one I have not tried is a Dunlop 606 in back.... but I suspect it will be done in a few hundred miles.... So mostly I run a Maxxis.... seems to be the best bang for the buck....I can find them on sale around for under $50... so what the hell... they all don't last more than a couple months anyways

I've run the Maxxis too, and while it seemed to last a good amount of time, the tire was ALWAYS spinning; it never seemed to want to hook up anywhere. It lasted me about 6 monthes, which really is pretty good, and then it started chunking really bad. I've found that once a tire starts to chunk, that its a real fast downward progression, as the rest of the tire just starts to shred away.

I've had that happen on about 5 different rear tires, different makes and models; once they start chunking, its over, they rapidly chunk until theres nothing left.

But, the Maxxis does last a while compared to other tires, just doesn't perform as well.

that's strange. i'm on my second 908, i haven't encountered pinching, and never heard of it with any of the other guys here who use 908's. It seems to fit pretty well. The 908 is popular here on bigger / torquey singles which are used on both road and desert precisely because it doesn't get eaten like other tires, but still retains traction on soft sand, which is most of out off-road riding here. As I said I've deflated down to 8 psi with no pinching or rubbing.

One of the main rally-bike builders here turned me on to the 908's because that's what he puts on his bigger race bikes that do cross country / rally raid racing (650's, KTM 640' and 690's, KTM 950 twins). It's a heavy tire, but made for bigger bikes. On 450's they use the Michelin Desert tire. Aggressive knobs, but bad on paved road.

If i hear of any pinch-flats or similar, I'll send out a warning, because I've been recommending this tire for a long time.

that's strange. i'm on my second 908, i haven't encountered pinching, and never heard of it with any of the other guys here who use 908's. It seems to fit pretty well. The 908 is popular here on bigger / torquey singles which are used on both road and desert precisely because it doesn't get eaten like other tires, but still retains traction on soft sand, which is most of out off-road riding here. As I said I've deflated down to 8 psi with no pinching or rubbing.

One of the main rally-bike builders here turned me on to the 908's because that's what he puts on his bigger race bikes that do cross country / rally raid racing (650's, KTM 640' and 690's, KTM 950 twins). It's a heavy tire, but made for bigger bikes. On 450's they use the Michelin Desert tire. Aggressive knobs, but bad on paved road.

If i hear of any pinch-flats or similar, I'll send out a warning, because I've been recommending this tire for a long time.

It's not really pinch flats that are the problem. It's just that the tire does not have the profile that the manufacturer intended when mounted on a narrower rim. The tire ends up more curved. The side knobs get bent up to the point that they will never get to the road. All the wear will be on the center knobs.

As long as a tire can be mounted and will not rub on the swingarm or chain it will work. In the dirt I don't think it makes all that much difference to run a n oversize tire. In the sand it can even help. It does reduce the contact patch on the road.

Since the 908 only comes in one size it's not like you can try a narrower tire.

Tire choice is a very subjective area. One rider likes one tire and another may hate the same tire. Run what works best for you.

True, tire choice is subjective.

About the D908, I haven't noticed excessive center wear, but it may be because I often run lower pressures on mine, which spreads the tread more. It is quite a stiff tire so low pressures are fine. I assume if I was running high pressures the curve would be more apparent,

See the last point on the following manufacturers blurb, about the stiff casing allowing lower pressures:

• Developed in Europe for rally racing, such as the Paris-Dakar Rally.

• Street legal with an emphasis on aggressive desert/enduro off-road riding.

• The dual-sport D908RR is designed to handle severe racing and cross-country conditions and provides exceptional durability and grip over rocks, hard ground and pavement.

• Designed specifically to cope with the speed, horsepower and weight of large-displacement rally-type dual-sport machines.

• Reinforced tread blocks yield exceptional traction and stability.

• The generous open-space around the shoulder area provides ultimate traction in sand and mud.

• Heavy-duty casing provides excellent bump absorption, and allows lower air pressures for a larger footprint and increased traction.

Thanks for all the info I think i should try the 908 since i have not yet if i dont like that then back to maxxis : ) Thank you much this thing wont let me give you guys anymore gas?

Yep, i rate the Dunlop 908RR and they are pretty damned good off road aswell. Ive run them on my old XR400R and XR650R. If you do go for them go for the 908RR, the 908 is different. Saying that, im running a Metzeler Karroo in the back of my XR650 at the mo cause i got it dirt cheap. Cheapness if always good when your running more than one thumper :thumbsup:

Yep, i rate the Dunlop 908RR and they are pretty damned good off road aswell. Ive run them on my old XR400R and XR650R. If you do go for them go for the 908RR, the 908 is different. Saying that, im running a Metzeler Karroo in the back of my XR650 at the mo cause i got it dirt cheap. Cheapness if always good when your running more than one thumper :thumbsup:

I have the 908 Rally Raid, I assume that's the RR? What's the difference between that and the 908?

If your riding jagged desert terrain there is no other tire that will hold up longer than the Maxxis IT Desert that I have found. But even the IT Desert will be chewed to hell after about 6/7 rides. The XRR will not let ANY rear tire live for long if your riding hard jagged rock terrain where there are alot of hill climbing involved.

I dont think riding in soft forest floor terrain makes a huge difference in tire preference (wear wise) but the terrain here in the west can empty your wallet pretty fast from buying rear tires if your riding aggresively on the BRP!

I am going in two weeks to get my bike plated. Do they check the tires ni AZ anyone know? If familiar with az law on what i need please let me know? I bought the rickystator 200w and bd kit but no turn signals or horn do i need them in AZ? I was planning on doing the stuff i know i need and take it for inspection and then if need be add or remove whats needed. But i dont know if it has to be done first so they dont refuse future attempts or will they let me make it street legal I have both CA and AZ addresses so that's not a problem my DL is AZ

When I plated my pig... I just signed a waiver that said I had everything required by law and they handed me a plate. No inspection....no emissions. But that was a brand new 2007 XRR. Depending what year ur bike is you'll need to pass emissions.

To answer the rest of your question. You need a Hi/Lo headlight, brake light,

horn, rearview mirror, you do not "have to" have turn signals. Tires are supposed to be DOT too.... but like I said the responsibility lies with you...you sign the form that says you comply...