Wiseco single ring piston and titanium coated ring

well i saw in a post for the retro yz 250 about this setup and well im due for a new topend in my 07 yz 250 real soon and im wondering if this is a good setup, but im just wondering since i read that it revs faster but also acts like a flywheelweight? ( did i get that right RCannon) now i already have a 9 oz flywheel weight on the bike..

this bike really only gets riddin in the woods with some track time here and there.

also i can get my head portand polished for almost free so would that be a good idea to get that done to with that piston setup..

thanks guys

I wouldn't run a single ring, unless your planning on changing out the top-end every 20 hours or so. They just don't last.. Unless your a serious racer, or just have money to burn I would go with a standard wiseco.. It won't act like a flywheel weight at all. It's actually going to do the opposite, it's going to rev faster. Also you say your going to have your cylinder ported ? Who's doing the work ? I hope it's someone that knows what there doing. You can't just go in and start cutting away at the cylinder ( not head )... ?

well i saw in a post for the retro yz 250 about this setup and well im due for a new topend in my 07 yz 250 real soon and im wondering if this is a good setup, but im just wondering since i read that it revs faster but also acts like a flywheelweight? ( did i get that right RCannon) now i already have a 9 oz flywheel weight on the bike..

this bike really only gets riddin in the woods with some track time here and there.

also i can get my head portand polished for almost free so would that be a good idea to get that done to with that piston setup..

thanks guys

hey ThumperKid,

You seem to be very misinformed about everything you have asked about. It was a wise move to ask these questions on this forum.

According to "Wiseone" who is no longer able to join us he did recommend the single ring piston with the tri-nitrate ring (RC please elaborate) for performance and reliability.

The other thing is on a 2 stroke you do not port the head. It can be cut, milled etc. The ports in a 2 stroke are in the barrel, this is where any porting work is done on a 2 stroke.

I would advise that you do some considerable research about this subject on who to get to perform it along with what you want from it before you let anyone touch it.

Good luck

hey ThumperKid,

You seem to be very misinformed about everything you have asked about. It was a wise move to ask these questions on this forum.

According to "Wiseone" who is no longer able to join us he did recommend the single ring piston with the tri-nitrate ring (RC please elaborate) for performance and reliability.

The other thing is on a 2 stroke you do not port the head. It can be cut, milled etc. The ports in a 2 stroke are in the barrel, this is where any porting work is done on a 2 stroke.

I would advise that you do some considerable research about this subject on who to get to perform it along with what you want from it before you let anyone touch it.

Good luck

ok a few things. i just make a little mistake because im use to the 4 stroke and i had that head port and polished, i no i a 2 stroke you do the barrel or jug or what ever you wish to call it.

and the guy doing my port work knows what he is doing, been doing it for the last 70 + years. yes he is 96 years old and can do it better than anybody else ive seen.

thanks guys

The single ring piston is in no way , shape or form anything like a flywheel weight. It makes the bike rev fast as a light flywheelweight does, but does nothing else even related to a flywheel. The Wiseco 808mo6640 was the piston used in RC's rm 250 when he won the supercross championship. He had a special ti-nitride ring from Japan, but the piston was off the shelf wiseco.

The ti ring was developed to have long , reliable life...and it does. Its been tested by far faster people than I. It was tested for years before us normal folks could even buy one. Yamaha of troy, Team Suzuki, and a few others that have to remain nameless. Read between the lines and ask why it would be readily available to fit a 66.4 bore when the stock ring will be used by 99 percent of the customers who buy rings.

Try this piston before porting anything. Odds are, you wont need porting. The yz 250 is ported well in stock form. Most porting jobs will screw it up. Unless I could ride the jug a person ported, I would not let them within ten feet of my cylinder.This piston offers a nice performance improvement, but let someone goof with porting and god knows what you'll end up with.

Still, this is a poor bike to improve performance on. Unless you know exactly what you want, its a screw up to change anything. The bike is tuned well in stock form. Outside of the head mods you'll give up something to get something else....maybe gain somethign you could care less about.

I did not remove my flywheel weight (GYTR 8oz) after installing it. The bike revs way faster than a stone stock yz 250 right now...no need to make it rev even faster.

You still get the benefits of the weight in slow going and reduced stalling. Its the best of both worlds.

The single ring piston is in no way , shape or form anything like a flywheel weight. It makes the bike rev fast as a light flywheelweight does, but does nothing else even related to a flywheel. The Wiseco 808mo6640 was the piston used in RC's rm 250 when he won the supercross championship. He had a special ti-nitride ring from Japan, but the piston was off the shelf wiseco.

The ti ring was developed to have long , reliable life...and it does. Its been tested by far faster people than I. It was tested for years before us normal folks could even buy one. Yamaha of troy, Team Suzuki, and a few others that have to remain nameless. Read between the lines and ask why it would be readily available to fit a 66.4 bore when the stock ring will be used by 99 percent of the customers who buy rings.

Try this piston before porting anything. Odds are, you wont need porting. The yz 250 is ported well in stock form. Most porting jobs will screw it up. Unless I could ride the jug a person ported, I would not let them within ten feet of my cylinder.This piston offers a nice performance improvement, but let someone goof with porting and god knows what you'll end up with.

Still, this is a poor bike to improve performance on. Unless you know exactly what you want, its a screw up to change anything. The bike is tuned well in stock form. Outside of the head mods you'll give up something to get something else....maybe gain somethign you could care less about.

I did not remove my flywheel weight (GYTR 8oz) after installing it. The bike revs way faster than a stone stock yz 250 right now...no need to make it rev even faster.

You still get the benefits of the weight in slow going and reduced stalling. Its the best of both worlds.

thanks thats just what i was looking for.. btw how much does it cost for this TI ring

thanks thats just what i was looking for.. btw how much does it cost for this TI ring

I recall it being under 40.00.

That piston, the 808mo6640 is a work of art and priced as such. I think its another 50.00 or so more than the standard piston. In that respect is a cheap performance mod compared to pipes and silencers.

The part number on the ring is 2614csa. The piston and ring is available from the TT store( you might have to call them) but you can save some ordering from them vs the wiseco sight. TT actually discounts the entire line vs the loss leaders on other places.

some posts said the TiN rings wear the clyinder faster. true? seems reasonable since TiN would be harder than a std ring. Other posts said 2-ring pistons transfer heat to the clyinder better than single ring. what about a 2-ring piston with two TiN rings? ...alex

some posts said the TiN rings wear the clyinder faster. true? seems reasonable since TiN would be harder than a std ring. Other posts said 2-ring pistons transfer heat to the clyinder better than single ring. what about a 2-ring piston with two TiN rings? ...alex

First things first...Go up the list of posts and see what BRM has to say. He has a way with words and speaks the truth.This ti ring has been used in a lot of applications. Its actually a good internet search. The technology was around for a while before it made it to the yz 250.

1 rings vs 2 ring??? Thats a good argument. Somehow its a given that 125's use the single ring and 250's get two rings. The ti coating was wiseco's answer to the wear and sealing problem of 1 ring, so it is possible that this ring could be the best of both worlds. The single ring piston has been a hop-up for the yz 250 and rm 250 since before 2003.

Cylinder wear??? Thats a tough one. It has been years since I saw a worn out cylinder. Back in the cast iron boreable cylinder days, it was common. In recent times I have seen cylinders chip, but well over 90 percent of them have been damaged from eating dirt. When the dirt mixes with the oil it turns into some really nice grinding compounds that the liner will not handle.

I actually have this set up in the bike and an identical back-up piston and ring so I will be using this set up for two complete pistons at least...we'll see how my cylinder holds up.

Thanks for the posts RCannon!!

I'm getting ready to do my top end & remember reading about this setup a while bike in a magazine, then ran across it again in this & another post, so I've been waiting to see the pros & cons with this set up. Needless to say, I'm getting ready to order these parts hopefully by the end of the week. Thanks again for the posts & part numbers.

I have not found any cons so far except the price.........Really, its a fun thing to have but totally unnecessary. The bike runs really well completly stock.

I was checking out some prices & what not & noticed it came with the ring? But the part number for the ring shows 2614cs without the a at the end?

Is it the same ring as you mentioned or is it something different?

I was checking out some prices & what not & noticed it came with the ring? But the part number for the ring shows 2614cs without the a at the end?

Is it the same ring as you mentioned or is it something different?

The single ring piston is supplied with a standard ring, you get to buy the ti ring separately.

I have this set up, and im sorry but the piston does not last like the 2 ring. I love this set up great performanc pick up and the piston is great with the coatings on the dome, but the ring doesn't last like a stocker. i dont ever put more then 20 hours on any top end, that just stupid. but i would defently trust the 2 ring more if you have extened service intervals. but if others are having good luck running it then try it, my bikes a race bike so reliablity i cant a test for because i don't even leave the parts in long enough to wear out.

I cant see the single ring making any more power for more than

one ride with a pro rider or three rides for anyone else they

dont hold up as well as the 2 ring setup.we had a KX 250

with the single ring, it seemed like after 1 ride it was already

a little weaker.