Sign in to follow this  

Wrench'n an R...quick question...

i'm help'n a bud get his R dialed in and this is the first time i have worked on a R...i will say i like the way the bike is put together and the cooling system seems to be well designed...very simple setup...

my bud weighs 160lbs wet and in full gear...the PO has a 11kg spring installed (250lbs rider +/-10lbs) so i'm assuming the fork springs have been changed to...no wonder he says the bike is beating him up!

from the shop manual it appears i can access, pull and inspect the spring assembly by removing the shock cap a carefully removing(not losing any oil) the assembly WITHOUT removing the fork tube...is this correct?

...also will the fork springs have a part number etched on them?

we may have some beefy springs for trade or sale soon.

TIA,

Kenny

i'm help'n a bud get his R dialed in and this is the first time i have worked on a R...i will say i like the way the bike is put together and the cooling system seems to be well designed...very simple setup...

my bud weighs 160lbs wet and in full gear...the PO has a 11kg spring installed (250lbs rider +/-10lbs) so i'm assuming the fork springs have been changed to...no wonder he says the bike is beating him up!

from the shop manual it appears i can access, pull and inspect the spring assembly by removing the shock cap a carefully removing(not losing any oil) the assembly WITHOUT removing the fork tube...is this correct?

...also will the fork springs have a part number etched on them?

we may have some beefy springs for trade or sale soon.

TIA,

Kenny

You will lose a little oil from pulling the springs, not much. Lindemenn etches the number on one end. Eibach has the number on the coils about four coils from one end and they come off. Just ink or some kind of printing. I have stock springs.......

http://borynack.com/XR650R/index.htm Will have pictures in the fork and shock pages.