2008 450 Exc-r Wheel Speed Sensor

Does anyone know how to calibrate the spedometer on a 2008 450 exc-r for a 17" s.m. front?

Does anyone know how to calibrate the spedometer on a 2008 450 exc-r for a 17" s.m. front?

Somehow you need to change the wheel size, as indicated by the number that comes up in the "W" display when you activate the speedo. That number is the wheel diameter in mm and is set by default to 2205.

No indication of how to do this in the 2008 manual though. I tried a few things but could not find the "secret code" of button pushes that is required. Maybe somebody else here knows how to do this in a 2008 model speedo.

A hint to determine the rolling circumference of the front tire is to place a heavy chalk line on your tire, while sitting on your bike role it forward in a straight line on a smooth surface so the chalk line will transfer from the tire to the floor/ground for one complete revolution. Then measure the distance between the chalk marks on the floor (in millimetres, mm). This is the rolling circumference of the tire and the value that should be entered into the computer. Also ensure the tire pressure is the same as you typically ride with.

I changed my computer tire circumference value as per the manual instructions (not in front of me at this time). If I recall I just kept hitting the "O" button until the wheel circumference displayed, then I held the "O" button in until it flashed, and then used the "+/-" buttons to adjust the value.

I changed my computer tire circumference value as per the manual instructions (not in front of me at this time). If I recall I just kept hitting the "O" button until the wheel circumference displayed, then I held the "O" button in until it flashed, and then used the "+/-" buttons to adjust the value.

Must be a difference between US and other models? My 08 speedo only shows "W" for a second when starting up. Cycling through the functions with the "O" button never shows "W" and this matches what is in my manual - i.e. there is no discussion of how to change the "W" setting.

I know all the North American 2008 KTM's are the same however there might be a difference between an EXC and a XCR-W (which I have).

Another thing to try is (as per my manual):

Press the O briefly and repeatedly until H appears at the bottom right of the display

Press the O button for 3 to 5 seconds

The set up menu opens and the active functions are displayed

Switch to the function you require (WS in this case) by pressing O

Press the "+" button to activate the function.

I'm not sure if this will work but hopefully when you've reached the last step as above pushing the "+/-" button will change the WS.

i got my 08 530 excr with a supermoto set up installed by the dealer and it came with all the stock dirt parts as well. one of the parts was a second speedo unit the i figured out was calibrated for the 21" front wheel

I know all the North American 2008 KTM's are the same however there might be a difference between an EXC and a XCR-W (which I have).

Another thing to try is (as per my manual):

Press the O briefly and repeatedly until H appears at the bottom right of the display

Press the O button for 3 to 5 seconds

The set up menu opens and the active functions are displayed

Switch to the function you require (WS in this case) by pressing O

Press the "+" button to activate the function.

I'm not sure if this will work but hopefully when you've reached the last step as above pushing the "+/-" button will change the WS.

Unfortunately WS is not an option on my 08 EXC-R speedo. I looked again today and I do have the setup menu but no choice for WS. I wonder if they disabled that per some law about not being able to tamper with the speedo on street legal vehicles. If you were devious you could adjust it to some silly number and way under record your mileage.

But perhaps good news for the original poster is that you could find a take off speedo from an XCR-W and use that. Seems like more than a few guys take them off to run fancier enduro computers.

First you must disconnect main battery power. You can do this at the computer plug, or by removing a battery cable. Next press the MODE button until the speed/hour display shows up. Hold the MODE button in for a few seconds, then continue to hit the MODE button until you get a flashing W/S. At this point you can change your wheel size by pressing the + or - buttons. If you are changing to 17" wheels your W/S should read 1842. For 21" wheel the W/S is 2205. Good luck, Bill

When I measured the actual rolling circumference of the stock M59 tire with 13 psi and my body weight (approx 220 with all gear) it came out to be 2155 mm.

The 2205 mm stock setting would probably be correct for a fully inflated non-loaded tire, which doesn't exist in real world riding (except during a wheelie LOL).

I run a Dunlop 606 21" front tire inflated to 16psi, and 2205 has been my W/S setting in over a dozen Dual Sport rides. My milage has always been consistant with the various roll charts used therefore I will continue to use 2205 as my setting.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the ideas.I just returned from a long weekend of trail riding at Brinstone with the 18/21's.If i get the 17's back together tonight maby i can get it figured out.

If you have access to a GPS this would be the best way to check the accuracy of speed and distance and then adjust the wheel circumference accordingly. If your speed and distance register too high on the odometer then a smaller wheel circumference needs to be entered and vice versa.