Not re-valving 2008 exc-r, just springs,fluid

Sorry, no time for reading all the threads again, but I'm 230 lbs W/O gear, riding a 2008 450 EXC-R. It looks like I will pass on a re-valve for now for my 2008 and go with .48 front springs with new fluid at Noleen's recommended levels/wts and i think he said a 7.8 rear straight rate spring. From my reading here, I decided to try the straight rate first. I'm a fast intermediate desert and mtn/woods rider, dual sport rider. Will this be fine??? I've spent a ton of cash on this bike already, and I am hoping I'll be alright without the re-valve, but, if I have too.....

It seems a 7.8 straight spring is hard to find right now? Who stocks one right now? I'm using Noleen in the high desert hesperia, california.

In my opinion a 7.8 spring is a little light for your body weight. If you search the suspension section of the site you will get some other opinions that should match mine. I weight 195 w/o gear and use a 8.0 spring. At 230 w/o gear you should be looking at a minimum of 8.4 to 8.8 for a rear spring IMO.

I Weight 245 with out gear My bike has a 88-250 spring on it fast desert B Rider, up here in Cal City Ca I purchased the bike this way used.

I can not get my Sag correct I going to buy aftermarket spring my self when I get some extra cash for it But the main qustion which one.

My bike is revaled feel good when you ride it more or less I know it could be better I dont like the way it feels though the hoops just feels stiff and rear end high Stink bug feel.

I also read the other fourms trying to make heads or tails what to buy Straight rate or progersive type spring I ride a 2006 560 which one to buy ??.

I wiegh 230-235 without gear and on my 2007 525 with the same OC frok I actually ran a .46 spring with the fluid set at Slavens racing specs. No revalve and it was hands down the plushest set of forks I have ever ridden on the trail. The wieght of the bike may have contribuited but on low speed hits and wierd square edged rocks that pop up on the Colorado moutains trails the stock OC fork properly sprung with the oil levels correct is golden....So golden that I against the advice of my fellow board members traded my new twin chamber fork for a new open chamber sprung and ready to bolt up on my new 300 XC...

The stocker OC IMO is that good in the rocks and slow stuff. Start riding faster stuff or high speed whooped out quadtard sections? The OC starts to feel mushy and almost spooky in stock form it blows through the stroke at speed very easily.

With the new chassis geometry you should be close with 8.0 rear spring.

A good way to get a cheap 8.0 spring is off E-Bay or the classified's over at KTMTalk.com.

Slavens pulls em' off the RFS bikes and dern near gives them away on E-Bayhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KTM-WP-Husaberg-Shock-Spring-80n-mm-Straight-Rate-Orang_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35615QQihZ014QQitemZ330238320635QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The 80-250 straight rate spring was stock on the 07' 525 and 450 EXC's and maybe several other RFS bikes from the past two years. The geometry of that bike demanded a guy your size jump up to a 10.0 or so......Hence there are many 80-250 springs sitting in members garages collecting dust that are prime candidates for your next spring!

Race tech guarantees the progressive is the way to go. Dwight Rudder and others swear by the straight rate. Hmmm...I agree, I think 7.8 is too light for me at 230.

I Weight 245 with out gear My bike has a 88-250 spring on it fast desert B Rider, up here in Cal City Ca I purchased the bike this way used.

I can not get my Sag correct I going to buy aftermarket spring my self when I get some extra cash for it But the main qustion which one.

My bike is revaled feel good when you ride it more or less I know it could be better I dont like the way it feels though the hoops just feels stiff and rear end high Stink bug feel.

I also read the other fourms trying to make heads or tails what to buy Straight rate or progersive type spring I ride a 2006 560 which one to buy ??.

Buy a spring ASAP Marv..Get the sag right on that RFS bike and you will be shocked at how much better it does everything!

You will need the full size man big spring....Cheap on E-Bay alla time.

Sounds Great but which spring to get 8.0 8.4 I leaning towards a 8.4 I like it plush I getting old no more big jummps for me just having fun still enjoying the sport we all love.

Do you know what a 80-250 or a 88-250 works out on the spring scale as in a 10.0 10.2 or so on I still dont understand how to figure this what a 80-250 = out to be.

Buy a spring ASAP Marv..Get the sag right on that RFS bike and you will be shocked at how much better it does everything!

You will need the full size man big spring....Cheap on E-Bay alla time.

Ironically going to a stiffer spring to match your weight will result in a softer ride because it carries the rear suspension higher in the stroke where the dampening is softer.

Regarding the springs, an 80-250 spring indicates that the spring rate is 80 NM and the length of the spring is 250 mm. Most just use the first number to reference the spring rate, i.e. an 80-250 is often just called a 8.0 spring.

Another point to remember is the 2008 chassis has a different geometry than the older bikes so they require a lighter spring (relative to rider weight) when compared to a 2007 and earlier KTM.

Ok I went back out to the garage and played with my sag once again GOT It this time around I had to back the preload all the way off then put 2 turns back so I have some pre load on the spring Bingo there we go I am right on the money Yea.

So a 88-250 WP spring is the ticket for 245 LB Rider with out gear.

I happy I don't have to fork out any more cash to get the bike right I just spent enought money on buying this bike 2 weeks ago.

When the winds dies down I take it for a spin.

I mite have to play with the fork tube heights next to get it to turn good.

It feels like it wants to wash out in sandy wash areas I don't know it could be the Front Pirelli MT 450 tire thats on it I never ran Pirelli before.

So a 88-250 WP spring is the ticket for 245 LB Rider with out gear

Marv something isnt right there. 88-250 on a 560 SMR with a 245 pound rider plus gear?

You want to set your static sag at 40-45mm . If your spring is correct you will have approx. 115mm. IF 120mm or more you need a heavier spring.

Before the preload was cranked way up so I could not get my static sag or Rider sag even close but now I right in the ball park.

Remember This Bike was a Super Moto in start of it's life the spring rates are higher than the SX model in Stock form, And the shock valveing is diffrent also they require a stiffer system than a straight off road bike.

The old ownner said the bike was perfect for him he is at least 20 more lbs than me and he is a FAST rider he was suprized when I told him I thought after my first ride on this bike it was set up to stiff.

The bike was balance well but just felt high in the rear to me and after playing with the preload I think it's right for me now.

I lowwered the fork tubes by 10mm so it will handle better in the corners so it put more weight on the front wheel.

Oh yea I have 1.8 inch of sag 47mm static sag and 4.2 inch 110mm of rider sag now so it should be great now I most likly take it for a spin in the morning.

I hoppfuly will feel better going thought the ruff stuff at speed now before just did not seem 100% sure what he bike going to react though those sections kinda Hairy Not like my Old CR keep it pinned knowing what it going to do then again I had that bike for 10 years It was dialed in for me.

the shock valveing is diffrent also they require a stiffer system than a straight off road bike.

Wont have any effect on setting the sag though Marv.

The bike was balance well but just felt high in the rear to me and after playing with the preload I think it's right for me now.

Even if you are just out play riding that PDS rear just wont work without being on the actual measured money sag wise.

I could not get my static sag or Rider sag even close but now I right in the ball park.

Is that "ballpark" 40-45 MM of static sag and 115-120 of rider sag Marv? If so then you are golden...If not you are cheating yourself out of a fairly plush rear suspension for what $90.00 or so that is intertwined with lots of handling issue to include turning, accelerating, braking into the corner etc..etc...

Good luck Marv...Now wheres them photos of the beast?

Here the beast still get use to it but already liking the bike Not in Love with it yet but after getting correct for me and my riding style I most likly fall in love with this bike like I did with my old one.

5609.jpg

Thats an extremely clean bike Marv!!

Dont feel bad. I sold my 525 that was so beyond perfect...

Now I'm setting up the new bike and honestly I'm not in love yet either.

Everything is different. The shock dosent feel right. the brakes are too touchy. The forks arent dialed in. the 2 stroke buzziness and vibration is annoying. It seems loud as hell. I dont have my engine braking anymore...

I imagine it will take me all summer to get my new bike right as well.....

By the time its set-up to my liking it will be wintertime.

I typically buy a new bike every 2 years. I should have kept the 525 forever........I miss that black beast...Alot!!

Yea I know what you mean once you get them were you like them it hard to start over again with a new one.

But In a year or so I planning to get me a OLD 1978 thru 1981 I think Honda CR250, 380, or 480 the fire engine red ones with the kick starter on the left side, Air Cooled, Twin Fox Air shocks There just cool bikes.

Not the best handeling bikes and not with the most power compaired to new bikes but they are still cool something diffrent to have and show up with.

Sorry, no time for reading all the threads again, but I'm 230 lbs W/O gear, riding a 2008 450 EXC-R. It looks like I will pass on a re-valve for now for my 2008 and go with .48 front springs with new fluid at Noleen's recommended levels/wts and i think he said a 7.8 rear straight rate spring. From my reading here, I decided to try the straight rate first. I'm a fast intermediate desert and mtn/woods rider, dual sport rider. Will this be fine??? I've spent a ton of cash on this bike already, and I am hoping I'll be alright without the re-valve, but, if I have too.....

It seems a 7.8 straight spring is hard to find right now? Who stocks one right now? I'm using Noleen in the high desert hesperia, california.

Thats too heavy on the front and too light on the rear. On the rear you want a spring about 1.2kg lighter than you would have run on previous years bikes. I weigh 178lbs and would be using an 8kg spring on the rear. Front .42kg You would need about .44kg - .46kg. Better yet with no revalve on the front Contact HT Racing for one of their new kits. Comes with instructions. a special dual rate springs, fork oil and a drill bit. No revalve , very plush. I am trying their 38/46 springs this weekend. I have been running .40kg springs on my 08 250 XCFW 350HT.

Set your rear shock per the Golden Rule of Sag.

Dwight :thumbsup:

Thats too heavy on the front and too light on the rear. On the rear you want a spring about 1.2kg lighter than you would have run on previous years bikes. I weigh 178lbs and would be using an 8kg spring on the rear. Front .42kg You would need about .44kg - .46kg. Better yet with no revalve on the front Contact HT Racing for one of their new kits. Comes with instructions. a special dual rate springs, fork oil and a drill bit. No revalve , very plush. I am trying their 38/46 springs this weekend. I have been running .40kg springs on my 08 250 XCFW 350HT.

Set your rear shock per the Golden Rule of Sag.

Dwight :thumbsup:

So the .48 in a stock OC fork is too stiff for the new chassis with a 230-240 rider aboard?

Stock my bike came with a 46mm spring it has a 48 in it now so what you'er saying I should go back to the 46.

Let me ride it with the 48 for now let me play with the knobs on the rear shock if it still feels funny I put the 46"s back in and try that.

My bike is a 2006.

Took the bike out rode it for 1 hour or so rear feels like my old Cr now Like it Now it's time to get the front end dialed in.

I still belive lot of it is from the front tire I think it is the wrong compound for what I riding on this is my First Pirelli tire so far I don't like it it wanders in soft sand washes if you lean just a little in wants to wash out on you at all speeds and sucks at slow speeds more making turns.

I will try a couple more things before I replace this front tire.