Sign in to follow this  

How do you guys clean your shock Linkage??

My shock linkage and the bottom of my swingarm are filthy, I would love to take a pressure washer to it, but I dont wanna ruin the bearings. How do you guys clean down there??:thumbsup::ride:

I lay the bike on its side and scrub away with degreaser and a little brush.

Spray with aluminum freindly degreaser, let it sit for a minute, take a nylon brush to the linkage and rinse with a low pressure spray.

What kind of degreaser would you suggest

Simple Green works great -- just make sure to not let it sit for too long as I've heard it can etch aluminum.

How about Carb and Choke cleaner??

I have used both on my rear linkage to clean it and they both worked well. I immediately rinsed after spraying it down too. It might not be the correct way, but it worked great for me and I had no issues with my bearings. I also took my linkage off and cleaned and re-greased all the bearings every few months too.

I have used both on my rear linkage to clean it and they both worked well. I immediately rinsed after spraying it down too. It might not be the correct way, but it worked great for me and I had no issues with my bearings. I also took my linkage off and cleaned and re-greased all the bearings every few months too.

How hard was regreasing them?? Do you think a 16 year old with some wrenching skills could do it? I think mine could use it :thumbsup:

I am just pretty much doing all the maintinece to my bike while i can because it is out of commision

Unless you are going to repack the bearings I wouldnt put any type of degreaser directly on your linkage.

Unless you are going to repack the bearings I wouldnt put any type of degreaser directly on your linkage.

The question is, why?

To my knoweldge, products like Simple Green aren't going to degrade or damage the seals, causing them to allow water or dirt to penetrate.

I use a pretty high powered pressure washer. After a season of pressure washing the linkage about 3-4 days a week, there is zero sign on water corrosion in the barrings. I guess I'm lucky..

I use a pretty high powered pressure washer. After a season of pressure washing the linkage about 3-4 days a week, there is zero sign on water corrosion in the barrings. I guess I'm lucky..

I mean, I guess if you be careful where you spray, you'll be fine.

Whats shock linkage?:thumbsup: We use pressure washers on our bikes, We try not to blast directly into angles that could blast water and crap into delicate places.

While mine was off the bike for regreasing, I hit it with some simple green, scrubbed it, wiped it off and dried, then polished it up with some mothers, looked great for the first couple rides.