Sign in to follow this  

Riding on the street...?

I was just curious about what everyone thinks about riding on the street (legally). How many people started on streetbikes and went to dirt cause of the danger, or how many started on dirt, but also want a streetbike now and what your thoughts are on it. Maybe if you have a duelsport and love riding to your spot, or if it scares the crap out of you. Basically just want to see everyone's thoughts on the subject. Feel free to post pics too.

I know personally I wanted a streetbike, but couldn't afford it, so I bought my rm125 as a temporary substitute to ride around trails and such. Now I'm in love with dirt, and want a street bike soo bad so I can cruise around whenever I'm bored and have that 'freedom'. I already took the MSF course, so I have my license and everything, it's just a matter of me having no money:bonk:. I know it's really dangerous, but I consider myself I really 'sketched out' driver and am actually really cautious of everything and everyone around me. I know it's not long, but for the 4 years I've been driving, I haven't been in any kind of accident ::knock on wood::, nor any kind of ticket. I rode around on my friends little scooter the other day and I saw how scary it can be not knowing if a car sees you or not, but everything went fine. I ride like they can't see me, and I had a little backup plan in my head for every car I saw. IE if it was gonna cut me off, pass me, ride my ass down the road, anything.

I started out on dirtbikes as a kid but then after some years without riding at all I picked up riding on the street. Just this year after riding on the street exclusively I decided to get back onto dirtbikes not because of any danger factor, more just because I love motorcycles and the trails have been whispering my name. I still love taking my Harley out and will probably never give that up, it's a different kind of experience than trail riding or the track. Yes it's more dangerous than the dirt but if you really pay attention 100% of the time and treat every last vehicle out there as a cager that want's to kill you (even other bikes) then you can have a lot of fun. There have been times when I've hit the zone and put down a couple of hundred miles in what seemed like the blink of an eye. I just love it. I've never met a motorcycle I didn't like so my solution, do both. :thumbsup:

P.S. Riding with a backup plan on what to do if that other driver really doesn't see you is a great way to stay safe. Keep that up and you should be fine on the pavement.

I was just curious about what everyone thinks about riding on the street (legally). How many people started on streetbikes and went to dirt cause of the danger, or how many started on dirt, but also want a streetbike now and what your thoughts are on it. Maybe if you have a duelsport and love riding to your spot, or if it scares the crap out of you. Basically just want to see everyone's thoughts on the subject. Feel free to post pics too.

I know personally I wanted a streetbike, but couldn't afford it, so I bought my rm125 as a temporary substitute to ride around trails and such. Now I'm in love with dirt, and want a street bike soo bad so I can cruise around whenever I'm bored and have that 'freedom'. I already took the MSF course, so I have my license and everything, it's just a matter of me having no money:bonk:. I know it's really dangerous, but I consider myself I really 'sketched out' driver and am actually really cautious of everything and everyone around me. I know it's not long, but for the 4 years I've been driving, I haven't been in any kind of accident ::knock on wood::, nor any kind of ticket. I rode around on my friends little scooter the other day and I saw how scary it can be not knowing if a car sees you or not, but everything went fine. I ride like they can't see me, and I had a little backup plan in my head for every car I saw. IE if it was gonna cut me off, pass me, ride my ass down the road, anything.

Off topic, but where in PA do you live

started in dirt.

purchased my first street bike while in college, all so i could find a parking spot on campus! bought / sold 8 street bikes while in college. took the plunge last year and bought another that I would be comfortable on! DRZ400SM

best street bike i've had, and CHEAP on insurance!

riding to work and the cycle shop is fun!

chris<pixelmonkey>:thumbsup:

I started on three wheelers and an old 80 Yamaha Enduro. Bought a street bike as a senior in HS.

Started into dirt biking about three years ago, had a TTR250 that I traded for an 1100 Virago. Now I also have a YZ 450 that I've begun racing.

I feel safer on the track, because most of the guys are in control and the environment is controlled as well, flaggers and such.

Street is a lot of fun, but I've had a few scary situations. You just have to be ultra aware, constantly looking out for yourself. The biggest thing you will find is that drivers NEVER see motorcycles, no matter how loud or shiny or what have you. They will pull out in front of you, cut you off, just about anything. Be prepared to make the best decision on how to avoid a certain obstacle. Know the limits of yourself and your bike.

I started off in dirt but have done a ton of street bike riding. I was actually looking for a waverunner when I found my bike. I have tossed around the idea of a steetbike but I live in the heart of a very large city and sometimes its scary enough driving around in a full size truck. If I lived somewhere where I had easier access to some rural roads I might reconsider, or if gas goes up much more :thumbsup:. I really prefer riding in the dirt, street is fine but I consider bikes as toys and like to do things you can get away with on dirt but no on assphault.

I started on the dirt, first bike was a Honda trail 90. I now ride both dirt and street. While the skill sets are a bit different, there have been times when dirt bike skills have saved my pucker on the street, like the few times I have hit sand or something and had the front wash out, or when I got on the rear break too hard... (easy to do with a Vulcan Numb 9000 rear break) Dirt teaches you what to do when you run out of traction.

I kind of have that same thing where I see bikes as toys and like to push them to their limits, that's why for me I need both the street bike and the dirtbike. That way you can get your 2 wheel fun from the dirtbike and not get into trouble being aggressive on the street. Don't get me wrong, the streetbike is still a lot of fun riding casually, just don't treat it as a way to get your thrills.

It sounds like you have your head in the right place for street riding, always be defensive. I also feel that having a good amount of dirt experience makes you a much better street rider. Knowing how to handle a 2 wheel vehicle when tires lock up or under hard braking or swerving can be the difference between somebody wrecking in a situation vs. easily getting out of a situation. Usually in the dirt you will push the envelope wheras on the street you rarely do, but in a sudden situation an experienced rider will be able to more calmly and safely react, and also use more of the bikes potential for avoiding a situation. I think I actually read a statistic that said street riders with previous dirt experience were 90% less likey to be injured on the street. Don't quote me on the stat but it was something like that. You definately learn how to handle a bike at the extreme edge of its limits riding dirt and that seems like it transfered over for me.

I kind of have that same thing where I see bikes as toys and like to push them to their limits, that's why for me I need both the street bike and the dirtbike. That way you can get your 2 wheel fun from the dirtbike and not get into trouble being aggressive on the street. Don't get me wrong, the streetbike is still a lot of fun riding casually, just don't treat it as a way to get your thrills.

Excellent, excellent advice. By far, the most fun street riding I've done has been at a relaxed pace on my Harley. In fact, this is the first bike I've owned where I'll find myself having a great time riding and look down to realize that I'm going 5 under the limit! In my experience, faster bikes are not much fun to ride at a slower pace, slower bikes are not much fun to ride at a faster pace and riding a slower bike at a slower pace is actually more fun than riding a faster bike at a "brisk" clip. I don't find myself all tense and worked up because the slow driver ahead of me is getting in the way of a good run through the twisties, I've had far fewer instances of being cut off by cars, I've had none of the pucker moments that come when you're leaned way over around a blind turn and find sand/gravel/mack truck in your lane, etc..

I love riding on the street and I particularly love the way a mellow cruise along a winding country two-lane through California's gold country can soothe my soul.

• Like 1

If you're not sure about the street - don't do it. You gotta know. You can have a plan and watch the cars, use extra lights, wear bright colors, but the unexpected will happen and eventually you will crash. No question about it. If you ride, an accident will come your way. I've been taken out twice. Once by a doberman at 5am (dog came out and basically ran himself right under my front tire, without a helmet I would have died) the other time was by another biker who didn't know how to brake a bike correctly - ran right into me. I had a state cop tell me over 25 yr ago during my own motorcycle safety course - "if you ride, you will be in an accident, the only question is when and how bad". Just be sure and be careful. Going over 70 is really not a good idea.

Ride Safe

The stable includes a dirt bike a sport bike and a sidehack rig. Bikes are cool and I like most of them. I started in the dirt and feel it has saved me on the street. On the street I am invisible and the cars that see me try to kill me is my survival plan.

I know it's not long, but for the 4 years I've been driving, I haven't been in any kind of accident ::knock on wood::, nor any kind of ticket. I rode around on my friends little scooter the other day and I saw how scary it can be not knowing if a car sees you or not, but everything went fine. I ride like they can't see me, and I had a little backup plan in my head for every car I saw.

You are a good candidate for street riding imho. I have street bikes and dirt bikes. I like them both, but I only fall off the dirtbikes.

I only have 100k or so miles on street bikes, so I haven't had the accident that pluto67 guarantees me yet.

I ride both. I have been riding dirt for over 35 years and street for over 20 years. You have to treat them like two different sports.

It sounds like you have your head in the right place for street riding, always be defensive. I also feel that having a good amount of dirt experience makes you a much better street rider. Knowing how to handle a 2 wheel vehicle when tires lock up or under hard braking or swerving can be the difference between somebody wrecking in a situation vs. easily getting out of a situation. Usually in the dirt you will push the envelope wheras on the street you rarely do, but in a sudden situation an experienced rider will be able to more calmly and safely react, and also use more of the bikes potential for avoiding a situation. I think I actually read a statistic that said street riders with previous dirt experience were 90% less likey to be injured on the street. Don't quote me on the stat but it was something like that. You definately learn how to handle a bike at the extreme edge of its limits riding dirt and that seems like it transfered over for me.

I agree completely. I personally started on ATC's, which turned into dirt karts (no suspension), then bikes, then nothing for a while, then built my own mini-chopper, then nothing again, and finally realizing this shite is EXPANSIVE and now cant afford anything.

:thumbsup:

You are a good candidate for street riding imho. I have street bikes and dirt bikes. I like them both, but I only fall off the dirtbikes.

I only have 100k or so miles on street bikes, so I haven't had the accident that pluto67 guarantees me yet.

Agree, sounds up to it.

100K, accident free - that's great. Hope none ever come your way.

I ride both. I have been riding dirt for over 35 years and street for over 20 years. You have to treat them like two different sports.

True, but dirt first is what I would consider to be the best entry to the street - the only way to go. There are SOOOO many fundamentals one can bring from the dirt and apply to the street; locked up rears (wet roads), close calls, being light on the bike (front over 2x4s), hard on the front for red lights, jumping train tracks (for fun). A good moto rider w/ zero street miles and a good head can do very well out of the shute and beyond.

True, but dirt first is what I would consider to be the best entry to the street - the only way to go. There are SOOOO many fundamentals one can bring from the dirt and apply to the street; locked up rears (wet roads), close calls, being light on the bike (front over 2x4s), hard on the front for red lights, jumping train tracks (for fun). A good moto rider w/ zero street miles and a good head can do very well out of the shute and beyond.

Very true, and you can bring some bad habits to the dirt coming off the street.

I'll second that, I took some rather bad habits with me from the dirt to the street.

Twice in my first couple years I stuck out my foot at high speed for balance and twice I locked up ther rear during a quick stop simply because seventeen years of racing MX kicked in. Eventually I did learn to seperate the disciplines, but not before I had to give myself a good talking to.

That said, riding (and especially racing where you learn to ride a bike at your limit) also helped me considerably. The problem, however, is the attitude most take when going from dirt to street. They're convinced they can ride a dirt bike around a cornfield, they've got street riding licked. That attitude is absolutely rampant and it annoys the hell out of me simply because is so fallacied. Dealing with traffic on a busy day on a bike is far more daring than most video game scenarios and takes a very unique skill set.

I find the danger to be far, far greater than a dirt bike. Neither is safe, but I don't have four thousand pound battering rams intermittently trying to smear me on a motocross track, nor do most tracks line the outside of their corners with gut-slicing guardrails.

I want a street bike soo bad. After I made this thread I went outside and it was the first day literally all week it wasn't raining, it was gorgeous outside. I was like "god damn, I wish I had that gsxr" hah but no luck. I just want to be able to pick up and ride whenever I feel like it, and not get my bike impounded haha. My mom always thought my little motorcycle thing would go away, but it's been about 3 years and I just keep wanting one more and more. She knows as soon as I get out of college and can afford a bike, I will get one, I can see her getting more scared. My dad is all for it, so he can have a riding buddy, but my mom is the complete opposite. She knows I'll be responsible with it, she's just afraid of other people. It sucks, but I'm gonna go for it anyway, gotta do what ya gotta do. Post some pics of your bikes if you want to, that'd be sickk

I thought that it would be awesome to have a sumo bike until I was driving the other day and pulling over through two lanes and just using my mirrors and didn't see my blind spot and I accidentally cut off and nearly hit a biker. He followed me and I stopped and rolled down the window where he rightfully cussed me for about 30 seconds, and then I realized that it was people like me in cars that I didn't trust and I don't really have the urge to ride where there are cars anymore.

• Like 1