DR650 Petcock Issues

Has anyone else found that the stock petcock does not shut off the fuel flow when bike is off? This has been the case with mine since I got it last year with 900 miles, now at 12K. I have dismantled it twice now to look for issues but all looks good, or should I say as intended by design. I would hate to let it go until an issue with the float needle causes a floading of the engine. A friend had this very thing occure to him this spring. Any fixes known to make the damn thing work like it should in the first place, and I don't mean after market replacement.

Has anyone else found that the stock petcock does not shut off the fuel flow when bike is off?

I don't mean after market replacement.

I just reread your post. I never shut off my petcock, IMO I feel it is best to always have fuel in your fuel system. Prevents hoses & seals from drying out, again IMO.

I just reread your post. I never shut off my petcock, IMO I feel it is best to always have fuel in your fuel system. Prevents hoses & seals from drying out, again IMO.

I think you need to look into this. I believe that your point of view could lead you into filling the cylinder with fuel should a float needle failure occure. You do need a petcock that shuts off the fuel flow positively. Hydro-lock can be very expensive.

I paid over $80 for the Pingle for my DR350 on a Clarke tank. Works well but I wish I knew about these other options.

Clarke petcock

WR400 petcock

Yamaha 660 Raptor (2001-2004) ($20 or less)

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,63517.0.html

These are DR350 options but it should work for the 650 too.

Thanks for the OEM alternatives. You may want to rethink your concept. The fuel system is still filled with fuel if you turn off the valve but without the fluid pressure to cause issues.