New Rider Looking for local spot to ride in Northshore MA!

What's up TT I've been on this site looking for a few local places to ride. I just picked up a 97 CR250 and I'm looking to ride it somewhere in the Northshore area of MA. I've heard about Crow Hill and a few places in Westrn MA, but I'm looking for any pits or trails or open spaces in general to ride it more locally(Peabody MA). I'm not expecting everyone to give up their secret spots but if there's anywhere that anyone could share, I'm desperate. Thanks in advance.?

Jolly Roger, Crow Hill, Winchester are a few tracks near you. MA also has plenty of legal logging trails that with a MA plate from the DEP you can ride on. Other than legal, there are others that won't be shared (or shouldn't in the forums) on TT unless you PM someone. people outside of TT can use the site to get an idea of where these fun spots are that may not be legal and try to get them shut down. So most answers may be vague.

I hear Ya, I'd even take vague answers at this point. It's killing me it's been nice all weekend but I've got no idea where to ride.

Here is the DEP ATV registration info:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/instructionspage.htm#ATV

Here is a summary of legal riding places in MA with your registration (from the mass.gov website):

Massachusetts State Forest Riding Areas

Western Massachusetts

These four forests are open to ORV use through the partnership of the Berkshire Trails Council and local ORV clubs who help to maintain the trails for all visitors. ORV trails in Western Massachusetts are challenging and only suitable for the intermediate to expert rider. For more detailed information, trail maps and directions go to www.mass.gov/dcr/forparks.htm

* Beartown State Forest (Lee, Great Barrington and Monterey) tel. # (413)528-0904

Approximately 25 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

* October Mountain State Forest (Lee, Lenox, Washington and Becket) tel. # (413)243-1778

Approximately 30 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

* Pittsfield State Forest (Pittsfield, Lanesboro and Hancock) tel. # (413)442-8992

Approximately 36 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

* Tolland State Forest (Tolland, Sandisfield and Otis)

tel. # (413)269-6002

Approximately 15 miles of OHV trails best suited to MGL c. 90 registered motorcycles (motorcycles registered and equipped to ride on public roads). Many Tolland trails merge with public ways where ATV use is prohibited. ATV riders will find more suitable trails in Beartown, October Mt. and Pittsfield State Forests.

Southeastern Massachusetts

These two forests are open to ORV use through the partnership of the Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders and King Philip Trail Riders who help to maintain the trails for all visitors. For more detailed information, trail maps and directions go to www.mass.gov/dcr/forparks.htm

* Freetown-Fall River State Forest (Freetown and Fall River) tel. # (508)644-5522

Approximately 25 miles of singe track trails for the expert rider. Motorcycles only.

* F. Gilbert Hills, Wrentham and Franklin State Forests (Foxboro, Wrentham and Franklin) tel. # (508)543-9084

Approximately 8 miles of single track motorcycle trail in each of the three forests. Best suited to intermediate to expert riders. Motorcycles only.

I love riding tolland state forest. Only place I really rode a lot in MA. Excellent logging trails and a couple sand pits you come across. some intense hill climbs as well. See what place is near you, register your bike for $40 every two years (for MA residents only) ($30 a year for out of state residents) plus proof of sales tax, then hit the trails. You've got lots of places to ride. have fun. ?

Welcome to TT.

I'm from the northshore area as well. I don't know of any legal places to ride in Peabody, Salem area. Powerlines if you don't get caught.

I truck it up to New Hampshire myself. Mass is limited in our area, the state trails in Rowley are closed now as well.

Yeah I keep askin around and everyone is telling me the same thing. "You know it's not like it used to be.......there's not too many places around anymore." Oh man if I hear that one more time, that's from friends co workers detail cops you name it. I'm gonna keep trying and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the reply.

What's up TT I've been on this site looking for a few local places to ride. I just picked up a 97 CR250 and I'm looking to ride it somewhere in the Northshore area of MA. I've heard about Crow Hill and a few places in Westrn MA, but I'm looking for any pits or trails or open spaces in general to ride it more locally(Peabody MA). I'm not expecting everyone to give up their secret spots but if there's anywhere that anyone could share, I'm desperate. Thanks in advance.?

come on now. how far is too far to travel?

I worked on the hvac at the Peabody mall from time to time. Route 128 is right there!

load up, jump on 128 south , and in 1 hour you could ride with us.

Freetown, Wrentham, plymouth , kingston, middleboro ... some good trails down here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Buuuuump.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but since all of the legal riding areas are now closed for the season, I've been looking for some good places for short rides on rare winter sunny days. I know of a few sand pits around the Northshore, but most of them are iffy on the bust factor. A lot of the powerline trails have been shut down too, because of the National Grid lock-out. So, does anyone know a good area for some mellow sunday riding? Asking on the off chance someone is feeling generous w/ their knowledge and wants to trade PMs.

Thanks!

On 12/29/2018 at 8:49 AM, Bobatsea said:

I only share my local knowledge with my riding buddies sorry. Although, Whenever I need info on someplace not familiar to me I spend a lot of time on google earth and topographical maps. 

Yeah I understand that. I've found some decent spots from youtube and google earth. Honestly most of the best stuff I've found is by crossing into NH anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 9:54 PM, Harrison Stevens said:

Plymouth ma full of power lines and trails but don't unload on a road and don't get caught roughly 750$ fines and bike towed if caught

I'd heard about those lines but I'd also heard about the bust factor so I've stayed away. Thanks for putting a number on the fines though, was wondering exactly what I was risking when I ride illegally. 

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Chandler Talbot said:

I am in lynnfield on peabody line....I know a couple spots

Good. Don’t tell a soul. Before the internets and mapping apps were invented, riding spots everywhere were plentiful. Computers have been killing them off year after year.  Plus people suck at keeping secrets. Groups of riders sucks too. Ride alone or with one other trusted soul is the only way.

Edited by Singletrackfoevah