Additional Hand Guard Braces

Hey,

I've been posting about this exact issue for quite awile. I really want to mount my Pro Rally's to my triple clamp.

Cyrca and Yamaha among others make mounts but I'm unsure which if any work. If anyone has more info PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I did found out today Yamaha doesn't have these mounts available yet.

I've called Mike from Flatland Racing about possibly making some mounts, I was told he'd look into it.

If any of you guys, or your friends, have experience designing...

Remmember the existing mounts don't allow you to pick which angle you want your guards to sit.

JJ

If you buy the pro taper top triple clamp it has the pinch bolts in the front.

I just ran a longer fastener and attached the inner portion of the hand gaurd to the top triple clamp bolt.

No mount and super clean...

------------------

I did go out to the Cycra online catalog to check theirs out. It sort of indicates that you would need to use their guards and the plastic covers are sold separately. If I can't get the Acerbis to work I may consider that route. I did look at the Yamaha clamp but not sure if that will work with the Acerbis guards either(don't like the looks of the yamaha guards). I also checked the Acerbis catalog but did not see anything there. I would prefer not to have to buy a top triple clamp just yet if I can avoid it. And JJ's point about not being able to adjust the angle is a good one. Although I can live with that restriction in order to get the added support. JJ let me know what you find out about getting some fabricated. Meanwhile, I try to get more info on the yamaha braces.

I'll be sure to let everyone know if I can get something made.

Hey Hick, you have the Cyrca mount, does that mean you use them with the Cycra guards. Do you know if they'll work with the Pro Rally Guards?

JJ

I too have the Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards. My problem is the guide for the front brake cable mounts to the top clamp getting in the way of the guard, so I can't cut my bars down. The top clamp mounts look like a good idea but will they work with Acerbis and how do you run your brake line?

Guys,

I have Pro Bends mounted on Twinwalls and the clamp mounts solved a few problems at the same time. Pro Taper-sized mounts were still too small, and on my old 7/8” bars the guard and brake line interfered w/ ea. other (I like my levers WAY down for some reason). The clamp mounts will obviously work regardless of bar size and there is more space for the brake line.

I’m sure the clamp mounts will work with all normal bark busters like EE, Fredette, Moose etc. and I’ve had them on the stock Yamaha and Scott’s top triple clamps.

I used to have a set of Rally Pro guards, which I broke, and I can’t remember exactly where the inner mount was placed. I think if they are as long as ordinary bark busters the clamp mount will work, but they may be too short.

rallypro150.jpg

Bigger Picture

They look like they MAY work. Its too bad that these things (either Cycra or GYT-R), like everything else, are so *&%@# expensive or it would be easier to stomach buying a set to try them out.

It's OK Hick, I completely forgot to check my post!

I posted another question, asking whether or not the mount allowed the guards to hang low. I, like many people ride with my levers low and am concered about coverage.

We'll see!!

[This message has been edited by JJ (edited 02-07-2001).]

Originally posted by Greg C.:

I too have the Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards. My problem is the guide for the front brake cable mounts to the top clamp getting in the way of the guard, so I can't cut my bars down. The top clamp mounts look like a good idea but will they work with Acerbis and how do you run your brake line?

I run the frt brk cbl behind the light cowl with a guide I fabbed up out of delrin.

Or I just run the yz plate for racing...

I was very annoyed with the "rotation upon impact" feature of the Acerbis handguards. To remedy it, I made some brackets out of 3/32" Stianless steel flatstock. I bent, cut and drilled the stainless to make a small short bracket, which I bolted to top triple clamp The inside end of the handguard was bolted to the bracket. Much improved ?

Eric in WA

Razor, thanks for your reply. It looks like the # you gave is the mount pictured above.

You said that they are adjustable. Are you able to adjust the angle at which the guards hang? Can you explain?

Much appreciated!

------------------

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

JJ- They are adjustable for height and width of bars. Mine are angled slightly downward. If you like your levers way down you may have to bend the guard a little.

The woods style plastic shields are large and provide good coverage. If you have aluminium wrap-around guards, you should order these GYT-R brackets and give them a look. If they don't fit, Yamaha will take them back. Good Luck

RAZOR