Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Valve check / adjust How To procedure - with photos

I looked around quite a bit on this forum and it seems like checking valves is always followed by questions...

So I had to do this myself anyway... got a kit from Jesse and searched this forum until I learned a few gotchas. Printed the shop manual page too. Pictures there suck!

I then decided to compile the procedure and publish as PDF for everyone's benefit. I never did anything like this before. I took photos as I went. All is included in the PDF. Hopefully this helps so more people can do it themselves! I learned a lot around here, time to give something back! :thumbsup:

Get the PDF here.

Let me know if there is something wrong. I can fix and republish.

I looked around quite a bit on this forum and it seems like checking valves is always followed by questions...

So I had to do this myself anyway... got a kit from Jesse and searched this forum until I learned a few gotchas. Printed the shop manual page too. Pictures there suck!

I then decided to compile the procedure and publish as PDF for everyone's benefit. I never did anything like this before. I took photos as I went. All is included in the PDF. Hopefully this helps so more people can do it themselves! I learned a lot around here, time to give something back! :thumbsup:

Get the PDF here.

Nice work! :ride: I'd like to put an unzipped link on the DR650 Wikia under the How To and Routine Maitenance sections. Can you post a stable unzipped link somewhere?

Get the PDF here.

Thank you sir

:ride::bonk::lol:

Nice job.

I have a question for anyone. I've asked before but got no reply. Does anyone know if Suzuki intended the valves to be set in pairs? That is with 2 feelers in place at the same time. The manual does not state either way but my experience is that multi-valve engines are set in pairs. It makes a big difference in the end results. It also requires more effort.

This was great....thanks to all involved:banana:

Now we need one for changing out the stock piston for a JE hi-Comp:thumbsup:

I just checked my valves last night, for the first time since buying my bike.(8k miles...oops :blush: )Hats off to bigboy for the pictorials. Excellent post. I have a question though. The service manual states "Turn the crankshaft until the "T" Line on the magneto rotor is aligned with the center of the hole". The photo in the manual, while barely visible, does show the line centered up. Bigboy's instructions show the "T" centered up, not the "line". So my noob question is, "Does this even matter?" Has anyone ever checked this or measured the difference? I didn't know this post existed last night or I would have checked....Not trying to pick apart anyone's work, just offering constructive feedback.

Well .... i have the #190 grind cam and if i line the "T" up in the window, the compression release puts pressure on the rocker arms and i can't adjust the valves correctly. So ...... i gently jog the crank back and forth a few degrees from TDC and at the same time wiggle the selected feeler gauge into the gap. When the gauge goes thru, i know that the crank/cam is just off of the compression release and the gap is at its widest. Then i just set them as normal. I run my intakes at .005" and the exhaust at about .007". Been doing it this way for a couple of years and ride the crap outta it (super-moto/street tracker thing) with no problems.

Cheers and remember YMMV.