Ankle broken - Best option for care?

I came up short yesterday on an uphill double. I must have been riding with the ball of the left foot on the peg because it immediately hyperextended up and popped.

This morning I have a lot of pain and swelling and will be seeking medical attention. Im not sure if I'm better off going to my general practitioner, an immediate care center, or an ER. Any opinions? Thanks.

Update - I went directly to an orthopedic clinic. There I got x-rays and learned it was just a severe sprain. So this is great news. I should be fine in a few weeks I would think.

Going directly to the ortho clinic was a good move for me, saving me time/copays. I didn't have to go to my Primary Care Pyhsician first, then someplace else for x-rays. It was one stop shopping. And I didn't have the 3 hour wait that you typically get at an ER.

This was of course only possible because my insurance allows me to go to such a place without referrals.

PS: With all the limping around/favoring the bad ankle I unbalanced my spine and messed up my lower back! Today the back is actually more painful than the ankle at this point. DOH. At least I know that too will pass in a few days/weeks.

I had the same back ache. It puts your mechanics of walking out of sorts. I didn't have any problems on crutches but the cam boot screwed with me and gave me knee pain. I ditched it and just pay attention to how and where I place my foot. You lucked out on the sprain.