Gas leak (610)sm

Quick question. Everytime I fill the bike the overflow leaks for an hour if I let the bike sit on the kickstand afterward. At first I just thought that I was filling it to much but know I fill it less and less and it still will leak. Is this something common to any of you 610 riders or does it sound like there is an issue here. Any info would be helpful.

My old 570R used to overflow when I came down from a wheelie. So basically all the time. The only way to stop it was to lean the bike fully over to the right. This (I assume) released a jammed float in the float bowl. That's where I'd look first.

Screwd.

The fuel is coming from the over flow hose that drains from the top of the tank and leads to the bottom under the engine. The gas cap does not leak it's just the hose. That's why I thought I was just filling it to much but It leaked the entire day yesterday when I was at work and I only put about two gals. in it. Thanks for the help guys.

• 1 month later...
The fuel is coming from the over flow hose that drains from the top of the tank and leads to the bottom under the engine. The gas cap does not leak it's just the hose. That's why I thought I was just filling it to much but It leaked the entire day yesterday when I was at work and I only put about two gals. in it. Thanks for the help guys.

Did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having the same issue with my 08 TE610...

Note - my lines and vents are not clogged - I've checked by blowing air thru them...

My 06 does this as well. With the SM wheels / brakes I am a stoppie ripping fool and I have to be careful with a full tank as it will eject fuel out the tank vent. i think it needs (re)routed up and then down.

My 06 does this as well. With the SM wheels / brakes I am a stoppie ripping fool and I have to be careful with a full tank as it will eject fuel out the tank vent. i think it needs (re)routed up and then down.

My issue is a little worse though - I am getting weeping at the gas cap and yesterday in warm weather, I had a steady flow of gas (about 1 drop per second) from the overflow valve.

the tank was full, but not overfilled (ie not to the bottom of the gas cap).

No idea what is causing this - it's not happening on other people's '08's.

A bad seal at the gas cap maybe? Not sure how that would cause the excessive discharge thru the overflow hose though...

Just a suggestion...

Try wiping off the gasket on the gas cap, and then after locking the cap in place, grab the cap and shift it around a little bit.

I had the same problem not too long ago, and after moving the cap around some, the dripping of gas/weeping from cap stopped.

Good luck!?

Just a suggestion...

Try wiping off the gasket on the gas cap, and then after locking the cap in place, grab the cap and shift it around a little bit.

I had the same problem not too long ago, and after moving the cap around some, the dripping of gas/weeping from cap stopped.

Good luck!?

I'll try it. At this point I'll try anything ?

Cool... Let us know how it works out. When mine started leaking and weeping gas I thought it was from just overfilling the tank (saw some eye candy at the gas station and got distracted:bonk: ). I siphoned the gas well below the top of the tank to no avail. After scratching my head for a while, I wiped off the gasket and shifted the cap around... Leaking and weeping stopped!

It might just be one of those '60% of the time, it works every time' flukes, but hopefully it works out for you too!?

I had this issue but mostly just when the tank was filled and while braking or slowing down quickly. I went to my local parts store and bought a $2.00 and some change double check valve for dirt bikes. They usually just have them sitting on the counter and they come in various colors. Once I installed it the leaking from the overflow tube stopped.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

My 08 610 did the same thing after filling up, then I found a section in the OWNERS MANUAL that states that when refilling, the fuel level MUST be below the lower part of the gas cap. So it's a simple case of about half a litre of gas to much in the tank. Mine has not done it since.