Best crankcase oil to use in a 2 stroke?

Man i've heard so many ppl tell me so many different thing and I want some input. I'm running 10w 40 yamalube in it right now. And can pre-mix be used in the crankcase as well? :thumbsup:

im not the smartest crayon in the pack but why would u use such a thin oil such as smoker oil?

i was running 80w gear oil in the cr 125 but i just switched to atf F and i love it. the clutch isn't grabbing and wanting to take off when its cold. yes i understand 8w is a thick oil. but riding in 90* weather in the back woods and mud id rather have a thicker oil (i know that atf isn't thick but it doesn't break down as much from what i hear)

80w gear oil is *NOT* a thick oil. Gear oil and motoroil viscosity is not equivelent. Off the top of my head 80w gear oil is about the same viscosity as a 10W motor oil.

maxima mtl is what i use.

And can pre-mix be used in the crankcase as well? :thumbsup:

Premix is what is used in the crankcase.

80w gear oil is *NOT* a thick oil. Gear oil and motoroil viscosity is not equivelent. Off the top of my head 80w gear oil is about the same viscosity as a 10W motor oil.

A 75W/90 gear oil is actually about the same viscosity as a 10W/40 motor oil. I've been running Rotella T 15W/40 for about 2 years now with zero problems.

Honda Red bottle:thumbsup:

And can pre-mix be used in the crankcase as well? :thumbsup:
I wouldn't.

Would 10w 30 be ok in the crankcase

The owners manual will tell exactly what oil spec  is required. Pre-mix oils are NOT designed for trans/clutch case use. Just a slight application of logic will make it clear that pre-mix oils are designed for mixing with furl and poured into the GAS tank. This is not rocket science.

On 5/21/2017 at 7:14 PM, wackjocky said:

Would 10w 30 be ok in the crankcase

you are talking about transmission oil not crank oil (which in a two stroke is your premix)  I use ATF in my trans with good results.  

any cheap non anti friction oil designed for wet clutch in the transmission.  Dominator for pre mix.

Right now been using Universal hydraulic tractor fluid in the tranny.  Works good, 5 gallons for like $30. 

It has already been determined that a 50/50 mix of Rotella & ATF is the BEST trans fluid by far. I change my trans fluid every 5 hours or so and alternate between the Rotella and ATF. This helps maintain that near perfect 50/50 ratio/balance. I promise you I can hear my bike purring like a cat as I add this mixture to the trans case.

When it comes to CRANK CASE oil-which is what the OP seems to be making reference to, Lucas Semi-Synthetic pre-mix is what I run through my CRANK CASE.

Edited by Kawabuggy

Either talk about pre mix or tranny oil forget the word crankcase on a 2 stroke

All good advice.  Asking what oil to use on this board is kind of like asking what religion is best or which political party to affiliate with LOL!  Having said that.  I use Rotella T 15/40 and it works well for me.  You can get it pretty cheap at Walmart.

I have always ran the suggested Honda GN4 10W-40 in my 01 cr250. Black jug/red lid. I ride technical single track, mountains and moto track and my clutches last me a long time. That's what it is designed to run with.

Don't run anything that isn't designed for "wet clutch" applications. Preferably 10w30 or 10w40.

You're local Honda mechanic

I can never Find the filler plug on my crankcase ? 

And even if you could find the filler plug for the crank-case, you would then need to find the drain plug! Good luck with that!

Hmm interesting