Sign in to follow this  

Supercross ¡¡¡???defenition Of Privateer, Factory Etc!!!???

Hello All,

I'm In The Dark On The Full Defenition Of Privateer Rider, Factory Rider. What Is A Satelite Team? What If A Regular "joe Shmoe" Wanted To Ride A National Race...say, Glen Helen Or Washougal, What Would It Take? What Is The Defenition Of The Type Of Support John Dowd Has? What Does It Take To Get There? Are There Pre-requesites That You Have To Meet, Or Do You Just Have To Have The Skill? Please Inform Me. Thanks.

Hello All,

I'm In The Dark On The Full Defenition Of Privateer Rider, Factory Rider. What Is A Satelite Team? What If A Regular "joe Shmoe" Wanted To Ride A National Race...say, Glen Helen Or Washougal, What Would It Take? What Is The Defenition Of The Type Of Support John Dowd Has? What Does It Take To Get There? Are There Pre-requesites That You Have To Meet, Or Do You Just Have To Have The Skill? Please Inform Me. Thanks.

Wow, a lot of questions. I will try to answer as many as I can.

Traditionally a privateer is someone who pays for their own equipment and entry fees in a national race. Almost all of them will have small sponsors, but they don't normally have support from a manufacturer and they are not paid on a salary. A full factory rider is a rider that rides for one of the manufacturers' primary teams (factory Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM). These riders are typically paid on salary plus bonuses, given all their bikes and equipment, have factory mechanics and engineers working with them, ride out of a team semi, and have hand made one off "works" parts on their bikes that are not obtainable to anyone else. The privateer line becomes a bit fuzzy with satellite teams. Satellite teams are supported by the manufacturer, and often get some of the "works" parts, but are not the primary team of the manufacturer. These include Yamaha of Troy, Motosport Kawasaki, Pro Circuit Kawasaki, Solitaire Honda, etc. Riders for these teams are also often paid a salary (less than the full factory riders though) plus bonuses, are given equipment, and ride out of team semis. Some people consider satellite riders privateers because they are not on one of the big five teams, but I still consider them factory riders since they have everything given to them and are still on large teams.

If Joe Shmoe wants to race a nations, he has to get an AMA pro license. This used to be much easier to get, but two years ago they changed the requirements. Now you must either have a Loretta's championship, a national arenacross championship, score over 100 points in the A class in the Pro/Am series in one season, or meet some other difficult requirements and pay a lot of money. These are all laid out in the AMA rulebook. Of course getting the pro license is still the easiest part of getting to a national, you then need to qualify for it, which is very difficult.

John Dowd at an MX national would probably be considered a privateer right now, but he would be at the top end of the privateer spectrum since he has most of his stuff given to him.

• Like 1

if you pay your a privateer period.....if you get a salary, free bikes or factory unobtanium parts then you are at different levels a factory rider!

Also, "True" privateers are the guys that are showing up to the races in Pick up trucks. IE cole seibler at the supercross races this year

Whoever has the Escalade with washington plates with the killer bike in the back was staying at my hotel in Atlanta. Valets returned our cars at the same time.